Prediction Best 22, Round 1 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough, who would you take out for Stretch?
i don't like having to accomodate a player like Melksham, but you're right in that he will likely play Round 1.

With the addition of Hibberd who can play tall, you could arguably take out Frost leaving the Macs as the two key posts. But I don't like it much. I want Hibberd freed up as much as possible.

I love Jeffy, but he's not untouchable at selection as was shown last year. This will also require someone like Kent to take his game to the next level.

Salem is basically a lock for mine. He showed his true worth against Geelong. Unless health and injury have an impact he stays.

Brayshaw is similar and needs senior experience, but he'd want to start the season strongly. He stalled a little last year. A big pre-season awaits.

i don't like having to accomodate a player like Melksham, but you're right in that he will likely play Round 1.

With the addition of Hibberd who can play tall, you could arguably take out Frost leaving the Macs as the two key posts. But I don't like it much. I want Hibberd freed up as much as possible.

I love Jeffy, but he's not untouchable at selection as was shown last year.

Salem is basically a lock for mine. He showed his true worth against Geelong. Unless health and injury have an impact he stays.

Brayshaw is similar and needs senior experience, but he'd want to start the season strongly. He stalled a little last year. A big pre-season awaits.
I'd prefer Frost over Omac if we're only playing 2 key backs

I love Jeffy, but he's not untouchable at selection as was shown last year.

All good points. I have thrown Frost in as the versatile big man. If a big man goes down we would be screwed. Whichever way you set it up, I reckon will still need a spare big man on the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope we emulate the tactic of the dogs rotating blokes through the middle st stoppages
We have seen that Bray and Petracca can rest forward but Jones Tyson Viney need to add more to the rest of their game especially with Lewis Melksham and Oliver getting more time
You look at someone like Clay Smith who's a battling clearance mid in the mould of Viney who kicked 4 first half goals in the prelim
We need more blokes who can do that

Agree with the post, but not sure you can compare Smith and Viney. Jacks about 5 X the midfielder Clay is, hence why he'll never go forward.

Unfortunately, whether you like it or not Melksham will be posted up there on the flank. Goody got him across and he will play him.

Maybe to start, but nobody was undroppable last season after they lost form - especially pick ups like Bugg and Kennedy.

The coaches clearly love OMac. To his credit he got better as the season wore on. I reckon his magnet will remain untouched next year.

Him, T Mac and Frost were good towards the end of last year. Still plenty of "oh s**t" moments week to week, but if we're going to persist with the diamond shenanigans, those three are plenty mobile enough to make it work. Hence I don't see Melksham starting in that back 6 unless someone goes down injured.

Jetta T Mac O Mac
Hunt Frost Hibberd

I'm betting that's a lock for round 1, barring injury.

Him, T Mac and Frost were good towards the end of last year. Still plenty of "oh s**t" moments week to week, but if we're going to persist with the diamond shenanigans, those three are plenty mobile enough to make it work. Hence I don't see Melksham starting in that back 6 unless someone goes down injured.

Jetta T Mac O Mac
Hunt Frost Hibberd

I'm betting that's a lock for round 1, barring injury.
Hopefully, but as discussed Melksham hasn't been brought in for a second round pick to play at Casey. So shuffling the team to make room for him is annoying but probably necessary.

OMac appears a better kick than his brother, technically speaking. Once he fills out I think his overall ceiling is higher than his brother's. But christ, some of those early games... :drunk:

Hopefully, but as discussed Melksham hasn't been brought in for a second round pick to play at Casey. So shuffling the team to make room for him is annoying but probably necessary.

OMac appears a better kick than his brother, technically speaking. Once he fills out I think his overall ceiling is higher than his brother's. But christ, some of those early games... :drunk:

I'm hoping it swings the other way and that Goodwin is careful about making room for Milkshakes in the team in case it's viewed as favouritism. * the clown off to Casey for the next two years! Make him really earn it.

Yep, were certainly some impressive flashes from O Mac last season. It's a trap to think that players will improve year on year, but I like what I've seen and have my fingers crossed for the future.

Thought I'd give it a go. Not necessarily what I would think Round 1 would look like, more what I would want.

B: Hibberd, OMac, Jetta
HB: Hunt, TMac, Melksham
C: Vince, Lewis, Tyson
HF: Petracca, Pedersen, Watts
F: Kent, Hogan, Garlett
R: Gawn, Viney, Jones
I: Brayshaw, Oliver, Frost, Salem

E: Weideman, Harmes, Kennedy

It is actually getting hard to fit everyone in and is hard to find weak links now...
The weak link is relying on watts to give Gawn a breather. There's pedo but that's it.
As much as Gawn dominated in the ruck, you actually need someone to be performing at AA levels in order to actually make a real difference at tap outs. ie. aggressive insiders can negate good tapwork. The hawks have gotten by without superstar rucks and also the doggies so it's interesting to see how that has changed but you still need that big guy or two to get under and fight for almost 4 quarters and that's tough.
There isn't an immediate back up for Maxy. I'm sure this has been identified but I'm seeing it as a gaping hole.

The weak link is relying on watts to give Gawn a breather. There's pedo but that's it.
As much as Gawn dominated in the ruck, you actually need someone to be performing at AA levels in order to actually make a real difference at tap outs. ie. aggressive insiders can negate good tapwork. The hawks have gotten by without superstar rucks and also the doggies so it's interesting to see how that has changed but you still need that big guy or two to get under and fight for almost 4 quarters and that's tough.
There isn't an immediate back up for Maxy. I'm sure this has been identified but I'm seeing it as a gaping hole.

I think pedo is adequate for now.

Would rather give him a run while waiting for a better option to come up than be reactionary and jump on the first ruck spud that comes available.

IMO Pedo is better than those who were available this off-season. The only one I wanted us to have a look at was Nankervis but for some reason we werent into him.

Mahoney said we may build depth through the draft again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would rather give him a run while waiting for a better option to come up than be reactionary and jump on the first ruck spud that comes available.

Thought we might have had a crack at Vardy for that job. Apparently not.

I rate Pedo higher than Vardy tbh

As a ruck? Pedo is pretty naff as a ruck, basically just hopes to provide a contest. Vardy looks alright from the little I've seen of him, useful enough in either spot.

Players with flexibility are going to be key going forward. Salem is a classic example - his ability to play at both ends of the ground, as well as in the guts, mean he'll be first 22.

Stretch being best 22 ain't a question. He's easily ahead of any of our other young mids (for output).
So who goes out for him to come in?
Nice question to be able to ask...
I don't see him getting in ahead of Tyson Clarry Viney Petracca.
Jones has to fit in there then there's that hawthorn dude... Brayshaw is part of the big picture and gets the nod for the spot on the pine ahead of stretch I believe. That's just being specific to the midfield.
Garry Salem, health pending, is another being groomed up as a key player and will be given the favourable spot ahead of stretch. Not necessarily what I want but just my feeling at this stage.
What a bloody team!

As a ruck? Pedo is pretty naff as a ruck, basically just hopes to provide a contest. Vardy looks alright from the little I've seen of him, useful enough in either spot.

About two years ago Vardy was better than Gawn, so hard to believe that now but he was.

Vardy has got a shitload of talent but so injury prone, glad we didnt bother with him truth be told.

Stretch being best 22 ain't a question. He's easily ahead of any of our other young mids (for output).

I watched the Queens birthday game and stretchs decision making and composure is critical to our ball movement, he's the outside spe---- not gonna say it but he's critical
It's near impossible one of our best 22 isn't injured come round 1 so stretch just has to play
He is our Caleb Daniel

Agree with the post, but not sure you can compare Smith and Viney. Jacks about 5 X the midfielder Clay is, hence why he'll never go forward.

But that's kinda my point, he's an average player who they have taught to go forward and kick 4 in the most important game he had ever played at the time
I'd like to see Viney add that versatility to his game as well

But that's kinda my point, he's an average player who they have taught to go forward and kick 4 in the most important game he had ever played at the time
I'd like to see Viney add that versatility to his game as well
He's going to have too. There will be large portions of games where he won't be in the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back