Prediction Best 22, Round 1 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Where do T.Smith, Hannan fit in all this? Mature aged. Hannan went for your first pick from memory

Just don't see why theyd be required with Hogan, Weideman, Watts and Pederson (Hullett as depth)

Maybe the club doesn't think Weideman is 100% ready just yet and T.Smith could have a role to play?

I just find them strange pick ups at ~25 yrs old if they don't have a role now. Surely there is enough depth and backup in the VFL with either Weideman/Pederson and Hullett.

IMO

Smith was recruited as a guy who busts his gut and puts on more defensive pressure, not sure how much he'll play as he is a rookie but we need some defensive pressure. You could liken him to Ambrose for you guys, that medium option who needs to be laying tackles to get games.

Hannan will probably float around on the wing I think, doubt they'll play him forward a whole lot because I think he'd struggle to get into the game. He is very quick and mobile for a guy at 6'3 and kicks pretty well, could see him playing on the wing. He is also 24 in 2017, Smith is 26.

Weideman is still a 2nd year player and whilst he has put on 4-5kg he is still a kid and will take time. I see him playing 10-12 games this year swapping with Pedersen, we've still got that issue with our side where either Pedersen or Watts has to play backup ruck. I like Pedersen more but the club seemed to rate Watts higher in that role so we'll wait and see.

Last edited:
Where do T.Smith, Hannan fit in all this? Mature aged. Hannan went for your first pick from memory

Just don't see why theyd be required with Hogan, Weideman, Watts and Pederson (Hullett as depth)

Maybe the club doesn't think Weideman is 100% ready just yet and T.Smith could have a role to play?

I just find them strange pick ups at ~25 yrs old if they don't have a role now. Surely there is enough depth and backup in the VFL with either Weideman/Pederson and Hullett.

Smith is well ahead of Weideman in total contribution to the team based on VFL performance last year. Weideman has a huge ceiling and is good at kickking goals and marking the ball and using the ball. Smith is at that next level already though with the required strength to win one on one contests and he is a competitive tackling beast.

Hannan is a different type player to those mentioned above and can even be used on a wing.

When your first pick is 46, it's not like it's a huge gamble taking a 23 year old. Particularly when your list profile is so young to start with.

Neither Hannan or Smith are competing for spots with the guys you've mentioned tho, both being more medium sized forwards, with Hannan potentially to move further up the ground.

Depth is depth, both could have a good 5-8 years of AFL footy in front of them, or they could be gone in two, no different to an 18 year old.

Looks like after today Joel Smith could be your 3rd tall defender waiting there. Helps even more with the loss of Wagner (if severe, hope not) for him to find an early place in the team. That 3rd tall spot is probably one of the few spots open or of ever so slight weakness in this really impressive team on paper so he could fill the void nicely it seems.

Looks like after today Joel Smith could be your 3rd tall defender waiting there. Helps even more with the loss of Wagner (if severe, hope not) for him to find an early place in the team. That 3rd tall spot is probably one of the few spots open or of ever so slight weakness in this really impressive team on paper so he could fill the void nicely it seems.
Smith looked really good, especially in the first half

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

We have Frost for bigger teams. He was the second guy in defense last season but O Mac is a gun so he'll drop back a spot. We also have Hibberd to play as a smaller 3rd big. I think this season Smith will rotate around the flanks.

We have Frost for bigger teams. He was the second guy in defense last season but O Mac is a gun so he'll drop back a spot. We also have Hibberd to play as a smaller 3rd big. I think this season Smith will rotate around the flanks.

Forgot about Hibberd, but wont surprise me if hes used more for rebound 4th medium.

OMac and TMac talls, J.Smith 3rd tall, Hibberd medium can play tall or small and rebound. Neville Jetta is your lock in small deep defender. Then Jayden Hunt a real rebounding half back. Thats my back 6.

What were the demons fans thoughts on Melksham. Got alot of it after qtr/half time playing half back.

FB: Jetta OMac Smith (or Frost depending on match ups)
HB: Hunt TMac Hibberd
C: Strech Viney Salem
HF: Truck Watts Vince
FF: Gartlett Hogan Kent
Fol: Gawn Lewis Jones
Int: Oliver Brayshaw Spencer Tyson

I really like the idea of Gawn playing deep forward if Spencer can play at the level he did yesterday. Gawn is almost unstoppable if he can run and jump at the long ball, particularly late in quarters. Plus the starting forward line allows for plenty of forward pressure.

I really like the idea of Gawn playing deep forward if Spencer can play at the level he did yesterday. Gawn is almost unstoppable if he can run and jump at the long ball, particularly late in quarters. Plus the starting forward line allows for plenty of forward pressure.

Thats the side

Pederson vs Spencer

Melksham, BenKen and Frost the next best unlucky to miss

I like Spencer in which would allow Gawn to spend more time up forward, Maybe not all games but depending on match ups we could really expose some teams defences, would also give Gawn much more of a chop out and allow him to be more fresher through out the season. Kicked 16 goals last year playing 95% of the time in the ruck, if he was a permanent forward he'd be up there with the best in league.

What were the demons fans thoughts on Melksham. Got alot of it after qtr/half time playing half back.
He was involved in the best passage of play of the afternoon when he delivered a ROCKET to Hogan on the wing, it went forward and we kicked an easy goal from it.
But he also had some cringe worthy moments.

I think he'll play most games this season but I'm certain he'll divide fans.

I've got no issue with Gawn/Spencer if they think it'll work, but we absolutely cannot play Weideman or Pedersen if we go with two rucks.

Forgot about Hibberd, but wont surprise me if hes used more for rebound 4th medium.

OMac and TMac talls, J.Smith 3rd tall, Hibberd medium can play tall or small and rebound. Neville Jetta is your lock in small deep defender. Then Jayden Hunt a real rebounding half back. Thats my back 6.

Frost will play against the teams with three legit threats (GWS, Crows,Saints) but agree Smith may play over him against smaller sides.

Melksham had that tease game he had many a time for you guys I thought. When he kicks well he looks elite but he is a bit inconsistent with his disposal.

I've got no issue with Gawn/Spencer if they think it'll work, but we absolutely cannot play Weideman or Pedersen if we go with two rucks.

Frost will play against the teams with three legit threats (GWS, Crows,Saints) but agree Smith may play over him against smaller sides.

Melksham had that tease game he had many a time for you guys I thought. When he kicks well he looks elite but he is a bit inconsistent with his disposal.

Even then i feel he could be a good matchup for a T.Lynch/Mcgovern, Membrey

GWS will cause alot of people headaches hes only physically/size wise capable of playing on J.Cameron and not sure youd want that in your first year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jetta McDonald Frost
Hunt McDonald Hibberd
Stretch Tyson Petracca
Lewis Watts Kent
Garlett Hogan Pedersen
Gawn Jones Viney
Oliver Brayshaw Salem Vince

Not sure why one NAB game has changed so many teams. If anything, it reinforced that Salem and OMac are best 22. We've still got a few weeks to decide if Joel Smith, Jake Spencer and Melksham will be in the team.

I cant believe people would consider Smith infront of Frost after one game, Frost was one of our best rebounders last year and he is also a better defender than OMac. Frost plays for mine
Frost's rebounding is a liability. He has the foot skills of a elephant. We're to tall with 3 guys over 195cm, not to mention none of them can kick, if they don't all have direct match ups.

Frost's rebounding is a liability. He has the foot skills of a elephant. We're to tall with 3 guys over 195cm, not to mention none of them can kick, if they don't all have direct match ups.

On what basis are we 'too tall' Frost is faster stronger and more agile than 98% of our list
Jayden Hunts kicking is hardly much better but no ones calling him a liability

On what basis are we 'too tall' Frost is faster stronger and more agile than 98% of our list
Jayden Hunts kicking is hardly much better but no ones calling him a liability

I'm with you on Frost vs OMac.

Frost is better athletically and physically, also plays with more intensity and allows TMac some more freedom.

Oscar had a good game but is still raw.

I like Spencer in which would allow Gawn to spend more time up forward, Maybe not all games but depending on match ups we could really expose some teams defences, would also give Gawn much more of a chop out and allow him to be more fresher through out the season. Kicked 16 goals last year playing 95% of the time in the ruck, if he was a permanent forward he'd be up there with the best in league.
The problem is, can Spencer play forward while Gawn rucks?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

He was ok at it for the game against Geelong in Geelong we won in 2015, but I wouldn't put much faith in him as anything other than a slab of meat to stand in the square for a contest. Not necessarily a bad thing though, if he's able to take 1-2 contested marks down there or make some crumbs for Jeff, Kent, etc. then we should get a couple of goals from his efforts. That said, could also make us very slow down there and would need good pressure from our other forwards to make up for his lack of mobility when the opposition is rebounding.

He was ok at it for the game against Geelong in Geelong we won in 2015, but I wouldn't put much faith in him as anything other than a slab of meat to stand in the square for a contest. Not necessarily a bad thing though, if he's able to take 1-2 contested marks down there or make some crumbs for Jeff, Kent, etc. then we should get a couple of goals from his efforts. That said, could also make us very slow down there and would need good pressure from our other forwards to make up for his lack of mobility when the opposition is rebounding.
Yeah that is my concern. If he slows us down and doesnt offer much forward, can we afford to play him.
I'm not against the idea of him and Gawn playing together, it does have some merits. However is Spencer a better option than say Pederson?

Just give us the premiership now if Gawn can dominate the ruck for 15 minutes a quarter then go forward!

Yeah that is my concern. If he slows us down and doesnt offer much forward, can we afford to play him.
I'm not against the idea of him and Gawn playing together, it does have some merits. However is Spencer a better option than say Pederson?

As I said it will be dependent on match ups and which teams we could expose, and giving Gawn a much bigger rest from the ruck duties, Pederson and Watts aren't good enough in the ruck to give him long breaks.

Gawn 50% ruck, 50% forward
Spencer 50% ruck, 25% forward, 25% bench

As I said it will be dependent on match ups and which teams we could expose, and giving Gawn a much bigger rest from the ruck duties, Pederson and Watts aren't good enough in the ruck to give him long breaks.

Gawn 50% ruck, 50% forward
Spencer 50% ruck, 25% forward, 25% bench
All things being equal (ie. no game day injury) I'd still be playing Gawn 60-70% ruck, 20% forward and 10% bench with Spence 30-40% ruck and 20% forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back