best game for the roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by choppy
95 final against west coast, 36 points down early in the thrid quarter and than Corey McKernern went Ballistic and I recall kicked 4 goals.

Capped of with Martin Pikes run form the back pockett to half foward when we were less than a goal up in time on to pinpoint a pass to someone who I just can't quite remember.

My Ars.eh.ole Brother-in-law got married that day... I still remind him he is a di(khead for getting married in September... but then he barracks for the Saints... so I suppose he really didn't think about it...

Originally posted by Rooboy 96

My Ars.eh.ole Brother-in-law got married that day... I still remind him he is a di(khead for getting married in September... but then he barracks for the Saints... so I suppose he really didn't think about it...

....and you went to the wedding?

Lots of good memories on this thread! I'll add a "Blight Special" in his Brownlow year when he played as a ruckrover against Richmond at the MCG and kicked 8. I still remember one goal vividly when he one the ball from a centre bounce took one bounce then dobbed it on the left foot from about 60! Everyone was gobsmacked!

There was another game that stands out for me. It was in 1986 against Essendon and I'd just returned the day before from a trip to India and Nepal,(anyone who's been to that area will understand that it leaves you with an appreciation of other cultures and races) and I had to put up with two Essendon drongos (with thick North England accents!) whose every second word was "black" and every third word "c..." whenever Phil Krakouer got the ball (I think Jimmy was injured or suspended for this game). I'd started to have verbal exchanges with them and was about to take the matter further (I'm a peace loving man and will smash anyone who destroys my peace!) when Phil took the ball right in front of us did a couple of blind turns and hooked the ball over his shoulder from the pocket for what was to be acknowledged as goal of the year and even these two idiots sat down and applauded! They were quiet for the rest of the game and slipped out early.

Wayne Carey Rd 17, 1999 kicked 10.5 against Essendon.
Wayne Carey Rd 17, 1996 kicked 11.2, had 31 touches against Melbourne.
Wayne Carey mid-1992, took 17 marks in a side that got belted by Footscray at Waverley.
John Longmire's day out against Melbourne, Rd 14, 1990. Kicked 14.2
John Longmire's night out against Richmond, Rd 2, 1990. Kicked 12.5 and took 18 marks.
Shannon Grant's game in Canberra last year, I think against St.Kilda. Had 40 touches and kicked 3 or 4 goals.
John McCarthy's blinder in Rd 21, 1990. Kicked 8 goals and dominated in the forward line. Carey also kicked 6 and Longmire 4, that night.
Schwatta tearing up the Cats in a game at Kardinia Park about 10 years ago. 27 kicks on a wing.
Adam Simpson getting about 400 centre clearances, all long bombs into the forward 50 in a game against Collingwood at the MCG (in mid-2000 I think).
Adrian McAdam's 10 and 9 goal bags against Sydney and Collingwood respectively in 1993.
Wayne Carey's 7 goals in a mark-fest at the MCG, 1990. He'd been dropped the week before and came back with a vengeance.
Wayne Carey's finals series in 1994, 1996, etc etc etc

i just watched the 99 final vsPort, Careys 4 in sloppy conditions were top class

BTW Darky check your PM's :)

Originally posted by Rooboy 96

Tragic Rooboy 96:mad: I delibrately SKIPPED a very good friend's (at the time....he was a so-so North fan) wedding....lucky I did...saw the HORSE canter 14 goals against the Dees @ the G.

At the reception that night, I told him I won't forget his wedding day...not for him though :D rarely see the him now.

It's funny when you get a 'special' invite, you're ALWAYS (well I am) scrambling for the footy fixture then it's either relief or the phone call to tell 'em they have A VERY BAD MISTAKE :mad: :D :( :eek: ;)

v Richmond H&A Season 1992 won by like 120pts+

and the roos had a good mascot kid with them that day;)

You guys have nominated some great games!! What about the game when we beat the Bombers by 6 goals in 1993, the Duck going bezerk on Timmy Watson in the final stanza?! And the game in blistering heat in 1985 when we were 15 points down at the 31 min mark against the Blues at Princes Park. David Dwyer kicked a wobbly barrel from about 50 metres to win the match with 35 mins on the clock. The win at Coll in 1993 was also a very special moment. Didnt have too many friends that day in the outer but we sure made a hell of a lot of noise. To top it all off one of my mates got a r*** the night before - a rare occurrence in those heady days...

Two games that spring to mind would be the 125th celebration game against Collingwood and the Rnd 22 clach with the Bulldogs in 98...

for the pure delight of watching Carey tear a team apart 1994 v Hawthorn final...

Originally posted by Cororoo
One of the elimination finals at Waverley.

Must of been in the 80's......

The game was against Carlton and we were getting dacked on at half time.

The second half was dominated by Phil and Jimmy and we definately saw the Krakouer magic that day.

Nothing better than a win from behind against Carlton.

l seem to remember that Jimmy didnt play in that game as he was suspened .He played the next week against Footscray but unfortuantly we were unable to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schimma 20 is right. Jim didn't play that day. I think was serving a six weeker for kicking Alan Jarrott - Judas!! He would have gone very close to winning the Brownlow that year had he not done that. How he wasn't named in the Team of the Century is beyond me!!! While I love A Stevens, Jimmy Krakouer is the sort of bloke Stevo would be tagging. And he was named in the centre. Stevo should definitely have been in it, but not ahead of Jim.

Originally posted by schimma_20

l seem to remember that Jimmy didnt play in that game as he was suspened .He played the next week against Footscray but unfortuantly we were unable to win.

Jimmy did miss a lot of games through suspension but
I could swear that both Krakouer bros. played that day.

It seems so clear in my mind. However , it was a long time ago and a lot of memories are hazy these days.......

Here are some of my most memorable matches that haven't been mentioned yet.

1983 when we thrashed Carlton by over 100 points at Arden Street.

I can't remember the exact year but it was during the 70's when Ron Barassi was coach. We were playing Essendon at Arden Street. At three quarter time we were down by about 24 points and had to kick against a strong wind in the last quarter. This was in the days when there were only two interchange players and once a player had been taken off he could not come back on the ground. We won the game playing with only seventeen men. It was truly fantastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back