Best Movies of 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

No new movies will come out this year now that Boxing Day has passed, so I guess it's the best time to ask for top ten/best of the year/overrated-underrated lists.

My list:

1. Bladerunner 2049
2. Logan
3. Thor: Ragnarok
4. Baby Driver
5. John Wick 2
6. Wonder Woman
7. Atomic Blonde
8. The Meyerowitz Stories
9. Logan Lucky
10. Justice League (Probably to be replaced by TLJ tomorrow)

There are four sequels in my top ten, which is a bit depressing but such is the state of the industry. While obviously these ones were very well done, I hope we can soon demand some more originality from the films of today, because it's sucking everything down.

10. War for the Planet of the Apes - this series has also been surprisingly very good, and this was a great way to end the whole thing.
9. Thor: Ragnarok - arguably the best of the MCU movies, and just a great comedy.
8. Coco - while they aren't as consistent as they once were, Pixar have shown between this and Inside Out that when they have the inspiration, there's still nobody better at making these films.
7. Frantz - this gorgeous Franco-German film, set in the days after World War One, was perhaps the most beautiful and touching film of the year.
6. Baby Driver - what a crime-action movie should be.
5. Detroit - excellent tension and a timely reflection on police brutality and racism.
4. Logan - this came from nowhere for me. I went in without having seen a preview or knowing of the shift in tone. A fresh way of dealing with a tired genre.
3. Blade Runner 2049 - a worthy sequel, which is saying something considering the original is one of the greatest films of all time.
2. The Salesman - Asghar Farhadi is one of the best directors working today, and his Iranian dramas consistently astonish. This is one of the best of them.
1. Dunkirk - oddly doesn't seem as beloved as some of Nolan's other films, because I think this is his masterpiece. Will undoubtedly go down as a classic.

I'll be playing catchup on this year's movies, have only seen some of the blockbusters. Not a lot of films have really appealed to me honesty altho I still haven't watched Wind River or Last Jedi.

Top 5 right now:

1) IT - I had some issues with it but it was such a fun film to watch in the cinema, totally jumped out of my seat at one point. Favourite movie of the year.

2) Dunkirk - Again it had some problems but I really enjoyed it too.

3) Blade Runner 2049 - Superb. Could be my number 1 really based on quality but I just liked the above two more.

4) Baby Driver - Some very cool scenes.

5) Alien Covenant - I don't think many liked this but i found it entertaining enough.

In order:

Baby Driver

The Last Jedi
War for Planet of the Apes
Blade Runner 2049
Detroit
Logan

Dunkirk
John Wick 2
Thor: Ragnarok
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Spider-Man
Wonder Woman
Get Out

Murder on the Orient Express
Justice League
Atomic Blonde
Logan Lucky

Last edited:
Grouped in order:

Wind River (2017)

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
Get Out (2017)
The Big Sick (2017)
Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

Alien: Covenant (2017)
Detroit (2017)
Dunkirk (2017)
Good Time (2017)
The Lost City of Z (2017)

The Trip to Spain (2017)

Berlin Syndrome (2017)
Mountain (2017)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far this year ..

1. Lost City of Z
2. Dunkirk
3. Logan
4. Berline Syndrome
5. Life
6. Atomic Blonde
7. Columbus
8. Wind River
9. Your Name
10. Shot Caller

Last edited:
All movies released in 2017 in order.

Wind River
Dunkirk
Shot Caller
Get Out
Brimstone
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Star Wars - The Last Jedi
Split
Baby Driver
A Ghost Story
Passengers
The Wall
Kong - Skull Island
Brawl in Cell Block 99
I Don’t Feel at Home In This World Anymore
Pirates of The Caribbean- Dead Men Tell No Tales
A Cure for Wellness
The Comedian
Alien Covenant
Life
Bright
47 Meters Down
The Shack
Baywatch
Unforgettable

Going by theatrical release dates.

0. Twin Peaks: The Return
  1. Silence (2016)
  2. Moonlight (2016)
  3. The Florida Project
  4. Good Time
  5. Get Out
  6. Dunkirk
  7. Nocturama (2016)
  8. Manchester by the Sea
  9. A Ghost Story
  10. The Lost City of Z (2016)
  11. Blade Runner 2049
  12. Personal Shopper (2016)
  13. Brawl in Cell Block 99
  14. I Am Not Your Negro (2016)
  15. Jackie (2016)
  16. Neruda (2016)
  17. Raw (2016)
  18. The Beguiled
  19. Logan Lucky
  20. The Meyerowitz Stories

Agree that it's been a meh year. There was much to see as always but so much of it left a very mild impression; stuff that was supposed to be exciting like Lady Macbeth, Columbus, Okja, Mudbound, Call Me By Your Name, Detroit, The Square, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, mother!, Song to Song, Wonderstruck, Three Billboards, Loveless, Baby Driver - all failed to wow me (or in some cases, I detested). A lot of blanks from a lot of worthwhile filmmakers (although it seems like a year where a lot of good directors took time off as well).

Haven't seen much this year.

Call Me By Your Name in June at the Sydney Film Festival was a clear standout for mine, would be more than deserving of the Best Picture Oscar. Since I first saw it, its reputation has steadily grown into the most highly acclaimed film of the year, just an accessible coming-of-age love story in a decadent Italian summer.

Dunkirk was also Nolan's best film since...The Prestige for mine, a return to something near top form.

The Vietnam War long doco currently running on SBS has been largely excellent.

My Happy Family was a pleasant surprise worthy of a shoutout. Seems to have joined Netflix recently, so would recommend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_in_film

Going through that list I saw more than I thought. Get Out, Kong: Skull Island, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, Thor: Ragnarok, Justice League, Star Wars: The Last Jedi. You don't need to see most of them.

Didnt watch much because was a pretty s**t year for movies.

But what I enjoyed.
Best movie of 2017 for me was The foreigner with Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosman was a decent movie and surprising playing different complex characters that they normally do and doing it well.

Get out and John Wick 2 honorable mentions.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Will watch Wind River tomorrow after so many have it in the top 5.

Top 3 would be the below, really didn't rate many this year. I enjoyed the last installment of the Planet of the Apes even though it was highly depressing.

Logan
IT
Get out

Dunkirk I thought was terrible

Yet to see

Atomic Blonde
Shot Caller
The Last Jedi
Spider Man Home Coming
Kong Skull Island

This year I watched
Get Out (not bad)
Wonder Woman (best movie in DCEU so far)
Justice League (trash)
Thor 3 (best Thor)
The Kingsman 2 (underrated as)
Split (trash)

Haven’t been bothered but still want to see
Logan
Baby Driver
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Kong: Skull Island
GOTG2
Blade Runner
John Wick 2
War for the Planet of the Apes
And assuming a few movies in this thread I’ve never heard of however haven’t googled to find which ones. Someone here has good taste surely!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back