Best of the Sub-175cm Players

Who is the best player?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hrovat? The guy spent most of last year playing VFL. Seems a strange choice.
Any particular reason?

He played VFL last year because he had a bad shoulder injury and was recovering from that. Then finals rolled around and WB didnt mess with their team much

I rate him pretty highly and think going straight into the best 22 at North will be good for him.

He played VFL last year because he had a bad shoulder injury and was recovering from that. Then finals rolled around and WB didnt mess with their team much
Shoulder injury last year as in this season (2016) or last year (2015)? Because from what I can tell, he was in and out of their team up until round 12 of 2015, but then didn't play seniors again for the rest of the year and played 9 more games in the VFL. He then started this year as he ended last year- out of the team- before getting a couple of reasonably significant injuries. Then came back for a couple of VFL games, before getting to play the last 4 games of the H&A season, before being dropped for the finals.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/117163/Nathan-HROVAT

From an outside POV, it looks to me that Bevo came in and had a good look at him in the seniors in the first half of his first season in charge, before perhaps realising that he wasn't someone who was going to take his team forward, hence not picking him again for the 2nd half of the year (or to start this year), in particular preferring the 2 years younger and even shorter Caleb Daniel, once he was ready/fit.

They then brought him back in for a few games late in the year this season, possibly because they had injuries and also possibly to try and increase his trade value, with him presumably being likely to ask for a trade. Those few games probably took his trade value from half a packet of chips to a full one (3rd and 4th round pick swaps).

I very much doubt that any team in the comp would pick him ahead of Tippa, for instance, who has so much more hurt-factor.

Last edited:
Tippa will go past Daniel, He's seriously good.

He's not a bad player Tippa and I do like him .. but I think he gets a lot of credit because people think he's a good story. I honestly think he would struggle to get much of a look in at some teams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not a bad player Tippa and I do like him .. but I think he gets a lot of credit because people think he's a good story. I honestly think he would struggle to get much of a look in at some teams
I disagree with that. Have you seen him live? Was seriously impressive against us this year in both of our games against them.

In one of them he was playing across HB and he was just a thorn in our side there for a heap of the game, killing us on the rebound and in the other he was terrific up forward, kicking a couple of goals (and missing another couple) and providing exceptional defensive pressure.

He was like Cyril up there, in that you didn't want anyone to get the ball at ground level anywhere near him, as he would get to them in the blink of an eye, to either apply pressure, tackle, or bump them and unlike Cyril, he's built like a little tank, so he hits the body extremely hard, more like a smaller Byron Pickett (if you saw him play).

If he continues to progress like he has of late he would probably walk into most, if not every team, IMO, especially since he could potentially be of great value at either end.

I disagree with that. Have you seen him live? Was seriously impressive against us this year in both of our games against them.

He was like Cyril up there, in that you didn't want anyone to get the ball at ground level anywhere near him, as he would get to them in the blink of an eye, to either apply pressure, tackle, or bump them and unlike Cyril, he's built like a little tank, so he hits the body extremely hard, more like a smaller Byron Pickett (if you saw him play).

I have seen him live ... and I agree he is tough and hits hard. But I think he's a player who is handy, but if he's one of your better players you're probably struggling. He'll have a career though, cos he's clearly AFL standard and obviously he will most likely get better still

But I think he's a player who is handy, but if he's one of your better players you're probably struggling.

Yeah it is all dependent on whether he continues to progress. If he just stays at this sort of level then what you said there is true and he'd be handy but not much more.

I was actually pretty shocked to see that he's only 170cm or so, as I reckon he doesn't look that small and certainly plays taller than that.

Back