Best captain this century > Voss, Hodge, Selwood or Cotchin?

Who is the best captain this century?

• Michael Voss

• Luke Hodge

• Joel Selwood

• Trent Cotchin

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Flip of the coin between Hodge or Voss. Hodge has another Norm Smith to his name, but not as captain. Voss the same with the Brownlow. Three in a row is a special achievement leadership-wise, both of their teams competed in 4 consecutive GFs. Motivation-wise I think it takes something special to keep backing up year on year.

Cotchin worth a mention as he pulled himself and his team out of total mediocrity and turned his side into a tough-as-nails juggernaut. Selwood held a really high standard for a long time, but the sides he led actually underperformed, when you look at it now. Ultimately a one-time premiership captain.

Last edited:
Selwood was a great captain of a great team, but he wasn’t a dynasty captain.

I’d go
1. Voss
2. Hodge
3. Cotchin
4. Selwood

All 4 are great leaders but I think Voss willed Brisbane more, yes they had a dominant side but he lifted them especially late in 02. Hodge had 3 reasonably easy victories as GF captain but was leading from the front, and was critical to the Hawks rise and rerise. Cotchin got towed along by Dusty (and Houli) a bit on grand final day but regenerated the club.
Ultimately at number 4 is the guy who wasn’t involved in a rags to riches rise at the club as he came into a side that won the flag, won 2 more thanks to great players and great leadership, and then hung around for a decade because of great players and great leadership, Selwood definitely a part of that but had Enright & then Hawkins captained in the time Selwood captained, I expect the same results. Still a gun though, one of the 4 has to be rated 4…

Selwood inherited a team on the way down. We stayed competitive, but nothing like the 2007-11 side. By the time he was made captain our midfield was pretty gutted, and the team was not the same. We actually got closer than we deserved some years under him. Mainly because of him. He carried our midfield for years. Doesn't have the same record as the others, but he was the best leader for our club in my time, and I'm pretty old.

I think Voss & Hodge will be seen greater than Cotchin & Selwood by the wider AFL public.

But I wouldn't trade Cotchin for no one he captained our 3x premierships that's all that matters to me "Premierships"

I think Voss & Hodge will be seen greater than Cotchin & Selwood by the wider AFL public.

But I wouldn't trade Cotchin for no one he captained our 3x premierships that's all that matters to me "Premierships"
What's what matters to you got to do with this thread?

He's a Richmond supporter. Has only seen Richmond play.
Hodge, Voss & Cotchin all won 3 premierships as captain, ofc I'm going pick the guy that played for my club really doesn't make sense to pick anyone else.

Hodge and Voss visibly affected play with a combination of well-timed and courageous physical efforts, some thuggery, and clear on field direction. To my limited knowledge they were on field generals, making calls and directing their teammates. like Tony Shaw they seemed to know how to put heart in the quiet ones, calm down the psychos and focus the stupid ones. I could hear them on the field making calls at games. Loud clear leaders and at crunch time they fronted up to make the emotional statements that inspire players and crowds. Visibly great captains.

I suspect Hodge is a slightly better player than Voss and maybe Voss the slightly better captain but its a close call. Two all time great captains.

Cotchin and Selwood made little visible impact as leaders to my limited knowledge.

Selwoods staging was reprehensible, that aside he was a consistent, very brave and skilled player. As a player I would rate him as almost at Voss and Hodge's level. Cotchin has been very skilled and consistent, but frankly not the same as Selwood and I feel very over rated. Tigers love him, good luck to them.

I have never seen either one exert the sort of "presence" the first two have. They could have good games (or rarely bad ones) and not seem to change the way the team played (GAJ, a better player than all the above, was like this: could have a blinder and Geelong lose by 10 goals). They did set a standard for skill and consistency, maybe they were great motivators at training or in a quiet way? Both players seem quietly focussed guys, no loud body language (except when Selwood was ducking) and no theatricality.

Cats will love Selwood and Tigers love Cotchin but I think all supporters respected Hodge and Voss's as captains as well as top tier players: you would pick them for either attribute but they had both.

I feel Selwood's unsportsmanlike conduct is a mark against him as a player and a leader: even without that he was a star player first and captain second. I am frankly confused by Cotchins inclusion in the discussion.

I think in terms of captaincy, leadership and impact on their clubs, they are all club makers and dynasty makers and their cultural influence has been profound. You couldn't fault any of them and they are all greats for that reason.

It then comes to how you rate them as players, and as player ratings, I'd probably say Voss, Hodge, Selwood, Cotchin would probably be my order, but it's like saying what's the worst premiership, they're all bloody great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What impact does constant staging have on a reputation?

It depends on how willing the AFL boys club is willing to rally around you to counteract it by offering endless apologia for it.

And also constantly fellating you at every opportunity in a display of performative obsequiousness that would make a North Korean PR official feel dirty.

Selwood inherited a team on the way down. We stayed competitive, but nothing like the 2007-11 side. By the time he was made captain our midfield was pretty gutted, and the team was not the same. We actually got closer than we deserved some years under him. Mainly because of him. He carried our midfield for years. Doesn't have the same record as the others, but he was the best leader for our club in my time, and I'm pretty old.

Cotchin inherited a 'worse than Fitzroy ' team. Was the key factor in building 3 flags a minor premiership and molding dusty in 3 norm smiths.

That said I do love voss

To be fair hes knocked most of it out of his game
It does seem to be trending well. I think there is a huge amount of potential there. He is a player who seems to just have good footy nous, and that is something you can work with. Bruest doesn't have particularly great athletic characteristics, but he just seems to know how to play football. I would be ecstatic if Ginni could be a mini Bruest.

I feel like when push come to shove, Selwood wilted terribly, especially during that transition period. People forget how terribly Selwood played in 2015 when he finally, truly became ‘the man’. It was Dangerfield who was recruited for 2016 that rejuvenated the side and re-galvanised leadership.

Cotchin is in a similar-ish situation; remember that kicking against the wind fiasco vs Port Adelaide. But Cotchin has a Brownlow and seemed to get back to his best (and play some genuinely great football, better than Selwood) during the Tiger’s run.

I guess my main contention is that Selwood’s always been lauded as a courageous leader but he’s always only played well when he’s had stars upon stars surrounding him… and when he’s ‘the man’ (luckily for his reputation for just one year in 2015) he’s floundered.

Hodge and Voss were just monsters.

Hodge a bit ahead for me because he went to Brisbane when they were developing and transitioning from a dark period and clearly being a leader in just his first year.

I feel like when push come to shove, Selwood wilted terribly, especially during that transition period. People forget how terribly Selwood played in 2015 when he finally, truly became ‘the man’. It was Dangerfield who was recruited for 2016 that rejuvenated the side and re-galvanised leadership.

Cotchin is in a similar-ish situation; remember that kicking against the wind fiasco vs Port Adelaide. But Cotchin has a Brownlow and seemed to get back to his best (and play some genuinely great football, better than Selwood) during the Tiger’s run.

I guess my main contention is that Selwood’s always been lauded as a courageous leader but he’s always only played well when he’s had stars upon stars surrounding him… and when he’s ‘the man’ (luckily for his reputation for just one year in 2015) he’s floundered.

Hodge and Voss were just monsters.

Hodge a bit ahead for me because he went to Brisbane when they were developing and transitioning from a dark period and clearly being a leader in just his first year.

The biggest knock on cotchin is kicking the wrong way once?

Cotchin won a Charlie about 20 years old and would have been remarkable if he didn't get the leg injury.

He reinvented his style as inside machine forcing a rule change because he was too good at winning the ball.

Hodge losing points for playing loose in the backline IMO

Tough tough poll. Except prob Cotchin the others are very close and you'd be happy with either of them. Seeing as only 6 years of Voss' captaincy were in this century does that go against him? I think so. Were his final couple of years in 05 and 06 at the same high level or was he about cooked. Just posing the question. Because of this I'm going Hodge.

Back