Best Players to have never made All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

That must not like the look of him with that stupid forehead twitch he does

its because he tends to play his best games at home and the Vic press don't see him, and he is also a bit of a downhill skiier, in that games when he plays well, typically they win and someone else also plays well. This means he doesn't stand out as much.

its because he tends to play his best games at home and the Vic press don't see him, and he is also a bit of a downhill skiier, in that games when he plays well, typically they win and someone else also plays well. This means he doesn't stand out as much.

I can cop the many criticisms of Luke Shuey (shrug/duck, average foot skills, not enough goals etc) but this is one you cannot really level at him. Played his best ever game (according to Champion Data) in this pretty important close game away from home where he won a medal and no one else was close in the voting...

Have done a bit of researching for this.

From Adelaide:

Tony Modra
Tyson Edwards
Graham Johncock
Mark Bickley
Kane Johnson
Brett Burton
Richard Douglas

Not From Adelaide:

Chris Scott
Brad Scott
Mal Michael
Mick Martyn
Luke Shuey
Joe Misiti
Fraser Brown
Tim Watson
Scott Lucas
Justin Madden

From Adelaide:

Tony Modra
Tyson Edwards
Graham Johncock
Mark Bickley
Kane Johnson
Brett Burton
Richard Douglas

Not From Adelaide:

Chris Scott
Brad Scott
Mal Michael
Mick Martyn
Luke Shuey
Joe Misiti
Fraser Brown
Tim Watson
Scott Lucas
Justin Madden
The AA in its present format came in in '91. Watson started in '77 and despite playing in a flag in '93 wasn't really a viable option. From memory he missed 92. I wouldn't count him.

I can cop the many criticisms of Luke Shuey (shrug/duck, average foot skills, not enough goals etc) but this is one you cannot really level at him. Played his best ever game (according to Champion Data) in this pretty important close game away from home where he won a medal and no one else was close in the voting...

It's an odd take. Four x 3 Brownlow vote games last year, two of them away. One in 2018, away. 45 career Brownlow votes at home, 40 away. Consistently one of our best players in finals, home or away. Norm Smith in 2018, and had 31 touches and a goal in the 2017 elimination final before the siren sounded... so make that 32 and 2.

His game in the 2017 EF final was huge as well and he capped it off with the goal. He has stood out in some massive moments for us in recent years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mason Cox
In an era where St.Kilda were woeful.

These posts are very funny in succession - were you having a laugh or serious?

Mason Cox is your nomination for one of the best players to have never been All Australian, even though he has never averaged 10 disposals in a season and never kicked more than 20 goals (in home and away) as a key forward. Which AA CHF or FF would he dispace do you reckon?

You then knock the suggestion of Jack Steven - who whilst not a world beater has had at least 4 seasons averaging more than 26 disposals, high tackle numbers, kicks goals, 4 best and fairests and has finished top 10 in the Brownlow.

WAY more accomplished than Mason Cox.

These posts are very funny in succession - were you having a laugh or serious?

Mason Cox is your nomination for one of the best players to have never been All Australian, even though he has never averaged 10 disposals in a season and never kicked more than 20 goals (in home and away) as a key forward. Which AA CHF or FF would he dispace do you reckon?

You then knock the suggestion of Jack Steven - who whilst not a world beater has had at least 4 seasons averaging more than 26 disposals, high tackle numbers, kicks goals, 4 best and fairests and has finished top 10 in the Brownlow.

WAY more accomplished than Mason Cox.

It's a meme around these parts. Like Jack Watts and Jack Graham. He wasn't serious.

It's a meme around these parts. Like Jack Watts and Jack Graham. He wasn't serious.

Thanks for the heads up - was familiar with the others but not this one. Is it just me but are these repetitive meme like answers not really funny at all? I found the Graham and Watts ones got tiresome very quick.

I’m surprised Isaac Smith never made it. For me one of the best wingmen in the last decade

From Adelaide:

Tony Modra
Tyson Edwards
Graham Johncock
Mark Bickley
Kane Johnson
Brett Burton
Richard Douglas

Not From Adelaide:

Chris Scott
Brad Scott
Mal Michael
Mick Martyn
Luke Shuey
Joe Misiti
Fraser Brown
Tim Watson
Scott Lucas
Justin Madden

I hope the research wasn't too extensive, Justin Madden was AA in 1995.

Sumich should've at worst been forward pocket or bench in 1991.

Kicked 111.89.

Thats Buddy 2008 numbers

Tony Francis Forward pocket
The worst thing about the 1991 AA team is that it isn't the only baffling selection.

I had to Google David Grant, and I am old enough to have been watching footy around that era.

Can any Saints supporters tell me how good he was.

Also, Hawthorn won the flag yet didn't have one player in the AA team.

Sumich 91 is the one I remember, as Summa is my favorite player of all time.

200 scoring shots in a season. Can only have been done a handful of times in AFL history.

But Lockett's season was all time great though, so hard to argue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back