Best Players to have never made All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait a minute, sumich never made the AA side? He kicked like 111 goals one year and didn't get looked at?

That was in 1991, he kicked 111 including finals for an average of 4.48 a match. Plugger didnt play until round seven that year and kicked 127 in 17 averaging 7.47 goals a game.... Fair gap between 1 and 2.

Also in 91, the four small forwards combined kicked 85 goals. Daicos kicked 75 himself but couldnt find a spot...

Justin Koschitzke never managed an All-Australian. Had a few seasons where he might have come into consideration given his kp/ruck versatility but from 2002-07 he never managed more than 19 games in a season and never quite looked the same thereafter as a post-Gehrig Lyon-era forward.
Respectfully disagree. He had an enormous block of 4 consecutive games where he dominated. And never did anything after or before that.
AA shouldnt be graphed in one month of football in close to a 200 game career.(dont know exactly how many he played)
But a prime example of someone who should never have been remotely considered for AA.
fu** it was a solid month of footy though.

If there was one season Justin Koschitzke should of got in the AA team, it was 2009. 45 goals and 26 behinds in 20 games. 48 goals and 30 in 23 games all up in 2009.

Looking at the 2009 AA forward line

HF: Paul Chapman, Nick Riewoldt, Dane Swan
FF: Leon Davis, Brendan Fevola, Jono Brown.

Chapman kicked 37 goals and 17 behinds in 20 games. kicked 10 goals in finals including 5 in the prelim.

Dane Swan kicked 18 goals and 25 behinds but averaged 30 disposals a game.

Leon davis only kicked 35 goals and 24 behinds from 23 games.

Nick Dal Santo and Brendon Goddard were on the bench. Dal Santo made the AA side in 2005, 2009 and 2011. Goddard made the AA side in 2009-10.

It wont hurt trading out either Dal Santo or Goddard to get Kozi his only AA spot in 2009.

If there was one season Justin Koschitzke should of got in the AA team, it was 2009. 45 goals and 26 behinds in 20 games. 48 goals and 30 in 23 games all up in 2009.

Chapman kicked 37 goals and 17 behinds in 20 games. kicked 10 goals in finals including 5 in the prelim.

Nick Dal Santo and Brendon Goddard were on the bench. Dal Santo made the AA side in 2005, 2009 and 2011. Goddard made the AA side in 2009-10.

It wont hurt trading out either Dal Santo or Goddard to get Kozi his only AA spot in 2009.

Dane Swan was a classic mid in the forward line. I remember an angry hitler rant about it. Not sure I'd put Kozi in though.

You got a break down of defenders from non-finalist teams in the last 10 years?

Pretty sure they are few and far between.

Have a feeling that’s what probably worked against Kade Simpson...

Yeah, I suspect it’s true to some extent, particularly in the era you would call his prime, where even the Geelong water boy got a spot on the AA team. Which is funny, because it’s often harder to play in defence in a bad team.

For what it’s worth:
2020 - Luke Ryan (12th) and Nick Haynes (10th)
2017 - Sam Docherty (16th) and Michael Hibberd (9th)
2016 - Alec Rance (13th)
2015 - Heath Shaw (10th) and Michael Hurley (15th)
Etc...

Suggests that being in a lower team doesn’t matter as much.

In Simpson’s case, it might be more that he didn’t get in specifically because Enright did. I mean, their stats are almost identical but even when Carlton did play finals over a 5 year stretch Geelong were better so you could always make the case ‘well, their stats are similar and Enright was on the better team, so he gets it). Except 2016 - that one stands out: Simpson’s best year and you had to squint at it funny (or be Cameron Ling who was on the selection panel) to put Enright in ahead.

But then they finish their career as close to identical as possible and one player has 6xAa and the other has none. Very stiff

Yeah, I suspect it’s true to some extent, particularly in the era you would call his prime, where even the Geelong water boy got a spot on the AA team. Which is funny, because it’s often harder to play in defence in a bad team.

For what it’s worth:
2020 - Luke Ryan (12th) and Nick Haynes (10th)
2017 - Sam Docherty (16th) and Michael Hibberd (9th)
2016 - Alec Rance (13th)
2015 - Heath Shaw (10th) and Michael Hurley (15th)
Etc...

Suggests that being in a lower team doesn’t matter as much.

In Simpson’s case, it might be more that he didn’t get in specifically because Enright did. I mean, their stats are almost identical but even when Carlton did play finals over a 5 year stretch Geelong were better so you could always make the case ‘well, their stats are similar and Enright was on the better team, so he gets it). Except 2016 - that one stands out: Simpson’s best year and you had to squint at it funny (or be Cameron Ling who was on the selection panel) to put Enright in ahead.

But then they finish their career as close to identical as possible and one player has 6xAa and the other has none. Very stiff
It could be that Enright was just a much better player perhaps?

Tom Lonergan's probably the standout from Geelong's premiership era, in that tricky key defender spot where there's often nothing separating the ones that make it and the ones that don't.

Duncan and Blicavs more recently are guys that seem to be thereabouts most years without bashing the door down.

Shuey's surprised me the most in this thread, sensational player.

It could be that Enright was just a much better player perhaps?

As in my original post, their career stats are essentially identical. Simpson’s peak stats are better.

Stats aren’t everything, but they matter. It’s not like you can fault any aspect of Simpson’s game to say otherwise, or point to some particularly unique thing about Enright to push him ahead. Except that Enright played in great teams and Simpson played in a few decent ones and a lot of bad ones

Incorrect.

Jack Riewoldt in 2012 and Fraser Gehrig in 2005 also.

In both years, they picked two key forwards and a second ruckman in the FP but left out the Coleman Medallist.

AA selectors have been doing ridiculous things for years. That's partly why I'm baffled by the year-round fixation with the AA side. People update their rolling teams all year round like it's some big thing worth considering, some sacred duty, and then the team gets named and there are 2-3 things that are so weird that you wonder if it's a deliberate troll. How many times does it need to happen before people lose interest slightly?

Every year we live in hope that the morons dont * it up.

But they do. Every year.

Yeah that was the year of the Mark LeCras snub as per the Downfall meme. He was the only Eagle in the squad that year and clearly the best FP option, so the outrage was amplified. Porplyzia another snubbed option there. Leon Davis (like Didak around that time) gained notice in a more midfield role that year.

Last edited:
Every year we live in hope that the morons dont fu** it up.

But they do. Every year.

I think they get 19-20 selections right each year.

But every year they do some stupid thing that ends up being controversial. Usually it is just playing a player out of position to recognise an extra midfielder, a mostly it’s a star who had a solid year and would otherwise miss out to a lesser light who had a career year.

Really, they just need to clarify whether it is meant to be the best 22 players, who are then squeezed into a team? Or is it meant to represent the best at each position? Most of the arguments happen because they are just inconsistent in this - they have to have 1 or 2 rucks and 1 or 2 key defenders always, but treat the wing (arguably the most important position in 2020) and HF as just another midfielder.

From Melbourne:

- Nathan Jones for a great career of work, elite in patches and definitely better overall than some who have made it but more with consistency rather than the huge stand out years needed.
- Neville Jetta made the squad once or twice and was one of if not the best lock down small defenders at one point. Not the sexiest position though.

Jones never got close, never even made the squad of 40.

Jetta was robbed multiple times though. Was the best back pocket in the comp between 2016-2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they get 19-20 selections right each year.

But every year they do some stupid thing that ends up being controversial. Usually it is just playing a player out of position to recognise an extra midfielder, a mostly it’s a star who had a solid year and would otherwise miss out to a lesser light who had a career year.

Really, they just need to clarify whether it is meant to be the best 22 players, who are then squeezed into a team? Or is it meant to represent the best at each position? Most of the arguments happen because they are just inconsistent in this - they have to have 1 or 2 rucks and 1 or 2 key defenders always, but treat the wing (arguably the most important position in 2020) and HF as just another midfielder.

Its simple.

Name the best 22 players. Or fill the 18 positions with the best players in those slots and put 4 others on the bench.

They need to stop trying to do both. It will never work. Even if the selectors were smart people. Which we know they arent.

Tom Lonergan's probably the standout from Geelong's premiership era, in that tricky key defender spot where there's often nothing separating the ones that make it and the ones that don't.

Duncan and Blicavs more recently are guys that seem to be thereabouts most years without bashing the door down.

Shuey's surprised me the most in this thread, sensational player.
Was thinking Duncan. But TBH probably hasn’t deserved it. Just been a level below for quite a few years.

Non All Australian Team

B: J.Howe, M.Michael, N.Jetta
HB: T.Edwards, R.Tarrant, K.Simpson
C: I.Smith, J.Steven, M.Duncan
HF: P.Riccardi, S.Lucas, A.Embley
F: R.Robertson, S.Cummings, D.Bradshaw
R: S.Jacobs, B.Sewell, L.Shuey
I: N.Foley, J.Bolton, J.Misiti, J.Westhoff
E: J.Sicily, D.Prestia, C.Newman

Just a quick go - how'd I do? Miss anyone obvious?

Embley like Isaac Smith was a proper wingman. Made the 40 man squad in 2011 and might have in 2006 if they announced it. If you watch the WC 2006 season highlights DVD (not that any non WC fan would) it's noticeable how many times he pops up in key moments. 19 touches a game and 31 goals for the year was great, but the stats don't show match saving marks and important goals in close games. Had a resurgence in 2011 when we went from last to 4th but that team had a forward line so his goalkicking wasn't as vital.

The 2006 side looked like this:

C: Goodwin West Goodes
HF: Didak Hall O'Keefe

Some pretty handy players he was up against.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back