• Sam Simpson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zach Guthrie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jackson Thurlow

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Look we all know Dangerfield would be dangerous playing FF but the guy won a Brownlow Medal playing in the midfield... Why would you want to play him permanent as Full Forward as his more dangerous playing in the middle...
Be best to rotate him in the forward line.
Well that's my opinion :grin::geelong:

Danger won the Brownlow playing midfield? Everyone wins the Brownlow playing midfield... its an award thats a mid medal.

And it seems players in general all aspire to play mid .. few aspire to be a guy who is on the end of of players work , who will have more attention , have to play as a pressure defender and ..in general .. get less credit for a harder job.

The best forwards should be the highest paid and most highly valued. What they do is one of the rarest things in todays game. That Menzel can get questioned about his spot based on def pressure shows how under valued true forward play has become.

Danger as a key forward could be something that very few players in the league can be ... but mids are far more plentiful. Danger is elite for sure but if you can find someone to do the mid role then he could be GA Sr like as a KeyForward

We can solve both arguments by placing an ageing but brilliant goal kicker. with dodgy body, as a small forward all year. He is a natural small forward, and would score more than Hawkins if allowed.
He = GAJ of course.

Do we really think we are going to have a happy Gary if he gets told to do this or that. The last time I heard him talk , he was talking playing mid. I don't think he will concede to a FP role till his days in the mid are done.. ..of course as soon as he says.. I will play where ever the team needs me ..we can start talking that role as he would be better than any other option we have atm.

If worst case scenarios- No Stanley, PD, GAJ, Hendo, Crameri, Black would def be in contention. Black would have to be a better option than Buzza every day of the week at this point anyway??

Disagree Vdubs. Playing Black before Buzza or Sav would be a just a waste of games that could be put into them.

We can solve both arguments by placing an ageing but brilliant goal kicker. with dodgy body, as a small forward all year. He is a natural small forward, and would score more than Hawkins if allowed.
He = GAJ of course.
I would be fine with that but as turbocat mentioned, ablett seems set on playing in the middle whereas dangerfield is pretty happy to play as a forward

I would be fine with that but as turbocat mentioned, ablett seems set on playing in the middle whereas dangerfield is pretty happy to play as a forward
Not aware of that, apologies.
Still, where CS wants him to play is what counts, and he probably would love to have his skills in the MF.
Is he physically up to it?
I have my doubts.

Disagree Vdubs. Playing Black before Buzza or Sav would be a just a waste of games that could be put into them.
Probably right.
Which of those is best going to help us win rd 1? That is my main concern.

Do we really think we are going to have a happy Gary if he gets told to do this or that. The last time I heard him talk , he was talking playing mid. I don't think he will concede to a FP role till his days in the mid are done.. ..of course as soon as he says.. I will play where ever the team needs me ..we can start talking that role as he would be better than any other option we have atm.
Sure.
What is best for GAJ will be best for our team..
But is he up to the stresses of being a primary mid?

Sure.
What is best for GAJ will be best for our team..
But is he up to the stresses of being a primary mid?

You would have a better feel for that than me , being just a mug punter... he says he is .. but the last 3 or 4 years he has averg. 10 to 15 games aand missed thru "injury". I suspect it will take breakdown or a loss of what he used to be able to do to consider a forward move.

You would have a better feel for that than me , being just a mug punter... he says he is .. but the last 3 or 4 years he has averg. 10 to 15 games aand missed thru "injury". I suspect it will take breakdown or a loss of what he used to be able to do to consider a forward move.
We are all < mug punters here if you are a mug punter- your analyses and insights are top shelf.

We are all < mug punters here if you are a mug punter- your analyses and insights are top shelf.

Thx Vdubs... but when we are talking Hammy's I have no doubt when it comes to medical assessment you have more knowledge to call upon.
Just how much of GA's injuries issue have been a lack of motivation to put everything into it for a franchise he lost faith in and how much was and is a body that not as resolute as it once was. Perhaps the proof will be in the eating... if GA plays when he should this year , forward , mid or whereever then his body is probably OK. If he plays well for a while then has another case of leg related rests then he may have to accept that his days playing 100% middle are done. Im not worried if he misses a few interstate trips , especially GC game I have doubts he plays in that one , but if he starts missing big games at the G then its his body for sure.

On other news today.. I see Constable sees a spot available in the backline replacing Mackie ... Im not seeing a match in skill set but good luck to him for trying.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...e/news-story/3be08e3319369cfe793def2f93c07f96

B: Bews Taylor Kolo
HB: Tuohy Henderson Stewart
C: Duncan Ablett SSelwood
HF: Menegola Crameri Cockatoo
F: Menzel Hawkins McCarthy
R: Smith Dangerfield JSelwood
I: Blicavs CGuthrie Thurlow Horlin-Smith

Commentary:
* The Adelaide preliminary final (and specifically the 1st quarter) demonstrated that there isn't much point having Dangerfield at full-forward if the ball doesn't get down there. So he (and Ablett) should primarily play as midfielders.

* I don't have Parfitt, Parsons, Zuthrie, Gregson, Kelly, Constable or your 18 year-old next door neighbour in the best 22 yet, however I'm sure most of them (maybe not your next-door neighbour) will get plenty of games this year anyway.

* If some of those younger and inexperienced players prove themselves, then Menzel and Hawkins could play as the two main forward targets, and Crameri could be omitted.

Commentary:
* The Adelaide preliminary final (and specifically the 1st quarter) demonstrated that there isn't much point having Dangerfield at full-forward if the ball doesn't get down there. So he (and Ablett) should primarily play as midfielders.

* I don't have Parfitt, Parsons, Zuthrie, Gregson, Kelly, Constable or your 18 year-old next door neighbour in the best 22 yet, however I'm sure most of them (maybe not your next-door neighbour) will get plenty of games this year anyway.

* If some of those younger and inexperienced players prove themselves, then Menzel and Hawkins could play as the two main forward targets, and Crameri could be omitted.

Kelly will be easily best 22 as his skillset is a point of difference for us.

An inside mid in Selwood is unlikely to play wing.

McCarthys coming from a long way back but small fwd spots are open.

GHS is an ok player but how many mid minutes will he get unless Ablett is permanent forward? The other 70 % of the game he doesn't have a 2nd position to play. Parfitt Parsons Cockatoo Kelly Fogarty etc etc have more positional versatility which is why they are more likely to get the last 1-2 spots in the 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danger won the Brownlow playing midfield? Everyone wins the Brownlow playing midfield... its an award thats a mid medal.

And it seems players in general all aspire to play mid .. few aspire to be a guy who is on the end of of players work , who will have more attention , have to play as a pressure defender and ..in general .. get less credit for a harder job.

The best forwards should be the highest paid and most highly valued. What they do is one of the rarest things in todays game. That Menzel can get questioned about his spot based on def pressure shows how under valued true forward play has become.

Danger as a key forward could be something that very few players in the league can be ... but mids are far more plentiful. Danger is elite for sure but if you can find someone to do the mid role then he could be GA Sr like as a KeyForward
post of the week.

Kelly will be easily best 22 as his skillset is a point of difference for us.

An inside mid in Selwood is unlikely to play wing.

McCarthys coming from a long way back but small fwd spots are open.

GHS is an ok player but how many mid minutes will he get unless Ablett is permanent forward? The other 70 % of the game he doesn't have a 2nd position to play. Parfitt Parsons Cockatoo Kelly Fogarty etc etc have more positional versatility which is why they are more likely to get the last 1-2 spots in the 22.

It's likely Kelly will be a good player. However I find it premature to name him in the best 22, given that he has not yet played a senior game, and his 2 pre-season games yielded 13 disposals each.

Regarding the "wing position", I don't really see it as such. I think of the two wing "positions" as being midfielders number 4 and 5 (with the centre, ruck-rover and rover being the first three). The whole "inside midfielder" versus "outside midfielder" concept adds an unnecessary layer of complexity. Ultimately I believe Scott Selwood is in the best 22, and he is a midfielder.

Horlin-Smith is primarily a midfielder, and he has kicked 24 goals from 47 games. I doubt he will suddenly lose his football skills if he is required to play in the forward half of the ground. And for what it's worth, his average goals per game of 0.51 is better than Parfitt (6 / 15 = 0.4).

Regardless of the above, with multiple injured players, there will be a lot of younger and/or inexperienced players in Geelong's first round team. There will be plenty of opportunity for fringe players to stake their claim as "best 22" material.

I am not sure which is scarier... this ... or Blicavs on the wing

twilight.gif

CMIA? Are we talking JLT? Sav has not played a real game yet has he? And at least Buzza has kicked goals i the real stuff. Id agree if you said he looks to have the most upside , potential based on athletic talents id say Sav if keeps developing will probably go past Buzza

No I’m talking round 1. As is chris Scott - below is from the Addy

But the surprise packet ahead of Sunday March 25 might be in the form of potential debutant Esava Ratugolea, who Scott declared “a chance for Round 1

Commentary:

Horlin smith ... lol

But the surprise packet ahead of Sunday March 25 might be in the form of potential debutant Esava Ratugolea, who Scott declared “a chance for Round 1

Id be happy to see Sav get his first AFL game . He has shown more in his two 2018 JLT games this year and if he is ready to go.. great

It depends on a few things, probably.

Firstly Blicavs will almost certainly be playing down back. This might mean he is not available to handle enough ruck rotations to help Smith.

Secondly Crameri, Danger and Stanley aren't likely - let's assume unavailable. So we're down an intended forward marking target, our midfielders need to be more midfield focused (less of Gaz up forward) and our first choice for a backup ruck/fwd is unavailable.

This means either playing a non ruckman and/or another small to medium forward or one of Buzza, Abbott, House or Sav. Based on pre-season form Sav is probably the pick of those four and would therefore get picked.

He'd need to improve his kicking and no way would his body handle the sustained physical punishment like Gary week in week out,year in year out.

He'd need to improve his kicking and no way would his body handle the sustained physical punishment like Gary week in week out,year in year out.

Im not saying he would be GSr ..a person would be crazy to do that ... but I think he has the attributes to be similar.

Some obvious differences would be the high marking ...GASr was one of the best I ever saw ... , Its a different era ..but GASrs merciless attack on man who is around play , borderline illegal now was totally fair back in the day ... and his kicking on both feet was superior to most players now.
Having said that... He was not the most reliable setshot. He was good to very good.. and due to the way he could create opportunities he would quite often end up with as many behinds as points.

On Danger and the body. His body would be similar certainly taller.. GA had more thrown at him in his era but could Danger play there regularly now? I believe he would be able to ..certainly at his age , and with a slight adjustment in what he trains for.. he could be a beast of a forward.

Im not saying he would be GSr ..a person would be crazy to do that ... but I think he has the attributes to be similar.

Some obvious differences would be the high marking ...GASr was one of the best I ever saw ... , Its a different era ..but GASrs merciless attack on man who is around play , borderline illegal now was totally fair back in the day ... and his kicking on both feet was superior to most players now.
Having said that... He was not the most reliable setshot. He was good to very good.. and due to the way he could create opportunities he would quite often end up with as many behinds as points.

On Danger and the body. His body would be similar certainly taller.. GA had more thrown at him in his era but could Danger play there regularly now? I believe he would be able to ..certainly at his age , and with a slight adjustment in what he trains for.. he could be a beast of a forward.
I wasn't out to poo poo your post TC, I knew exactly where you were coming from,just a couple of thoughts that instantly came to mind.

Last edited:
Back