Best to worst seasons

Remove this Banner Ad

DaveW

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well since there isn't a whole lot of activity on this board, and I'm not terribly original, I've decided to rip off what they're doing on the Port Adelaide board, who in turn ripped it off from the Footscray board. Actually lets just say I ripped it off from the Bulldogs board. :D

1997: We all knew Malcolm Blight's arrival would be the best thing to happen to the club, but even a premiership in his first year exceeded the expectations of all but the most optimistic of us. There's something very special about the first premiership. And with three come from behind finals, there was nothing less than a sense of magic about it. Only team in VFL/AFL history to win four finals in a row. Modra winning the Coleman medal, when he was probably more deserving of it in 1993. Only lowlight would be that first loss to the Power, though that return match was something special.

1998: Isn't it great to prove the doubters wrong? Written off as a team with no chance of winning back to back. And we were struggling mid season, from which we recovered. But things looked especially dire after that first up flogging against Melbourne. But it was a touch of destiny again as we won three straight away finals.

2002: Our best home and away season ever, both in terms of win/loss and finishing position. Very satisfying to get off to a great start to the season (something we don't always do!) and continue the momentum from there. Another magical come from behind final against Melbourne. Unfortunately it didn't go according to script against Collingwood.

1993: I know this ended with the most gut-wrenching result ever, but you have to look back on this season with a degree of fondness. We made our first ever finals appearance, and we won our first final. We had a (perhaps undeserved?) double crack at the grand final, we couldn't take advantage of it. But that year saw the immergence of the likes of Ricciuto, Rehn, but most of all MODRA!!!!! Will we ever see a season like that from a full forward of ours again?

1991: Our first season in the AFL. I think we performed admirably, finishing middle of the road. The first up thrashing of reigning premiers Hawthorn a real highlight, I believe we were top of the ladder (on percentage obviously) after our first ever match.

2001: The most difficult year to assess. We made significant improvement on what was an awful year in 2000, despite three first up losses. But it ended badly, an embarrasing loss to Freo, followed by a first round finals exit. McLeod's form a real highlight, but he was robbed of a Brownlow!

1992: Ho hum. We didn't improve on our initial year, finishing middle of the road once again. But we didn't lose any ground either.

1995: I was never optimistic about Robert Shaw's appointment. And so it proved with good reason. We really struggled, making no improvement on the previous year. Rehn f*cking his knee for the first time. Modra had his worst year, only 42 goals. A home loss to Fitzroy particularly embarrassing.

1994: Dissapointing. After 1993 it really looked as if we were going places. But it all fell apart. In the end it resulted in Cornes' sacking, and I for one was sad to see him go.

1999: Bitterly dissapointing. Expectations are really high after succesive premierships, but it all came crashing down in this season. A whole plethora of injuries just depleted our stocks. And in the end Blight decided he'd had enough, I was devastated when he called it quits.

2000: I'd say worse than 1999. Even though we did a game better than on the previous year, I felt we should've done a lot better. We had a lot less injuries and I felt this should've been the year for us to be up there vying for the premiership again. We started the season with FIVE losses and we were always going to be up against it from there. Gary Ayres looked to me to be another Robert Shaw (thankfully he isn't). It was dissapointing to see Rehn leave as well.

1996: Four wins on the trot to kick-start the season and it looked as if things might be picking up after two dissapointing seasons. But as for the next 18 games? Just a further four wins. Darren Jarman returning home to Adelaide a highlight, but his brother letting his ego get the better of him a lowlight. I was glad to see Shaw go.

So in summary I'd rate
1997, 1998: Excellent
2002, 1993: Good
1991, 2001: Okay
1992: So-so
1994, 1995, 1999, 2000, 1996: Bad

What does everyone think of that? What's right? What's wrong? What've I left out?

Originally posted by DaveW

So in summary I'd rate
1997, 1998: Excellent
2001, 1993: Good
1991, 2001: Okay
1992: So-so
1994, 1995, 1999, 2000, 1996: Bad

What does everyone think of that? What's right? What's wrong? What've I left out?

Pretty well spot on Dave although i would rate the 97/98 years as the Ultimate,

I would put 91 in the Good or even Excellent section just for the all hype & thrill of being in the AFL after such an upheavel of having a club/team ready in the first place & then beating the premiers of the previous year in the Hawks at Footy park in our first AFL game,

Would also put 2000 up a level as that was a rebuilding period for Gary Ayres first year & at least we improved a bit on 99,

ps , 2001 you have put twice,:)

I'm omitting 1994 - 1996 because I was living overseas then and saw virtually no footy in that time. 1991 I was living in Sydney and didn't see a lot of the Crows then either, so I've marked it down for personal reasons.

In order for me:

1993 - 2002 (equal)

*a huge gap*
*another huge gap*

1999 was awful. The only game I enjoyed was beating the Saints at Waverley with super ruckman Trent Ormond-Allen.

Re: Re: Best to worst seasons

Originally posted by noddy

Would also put 2000 up a level as that was a rebuilding period for Gary Ayres first year & at least we improved a bit on 99,

Very good summary Dave. My only area of doubt is 2000, where I tend to agree with Noddy. At the time I was very ****ed off with the year, but in hindsight Ayresy had been left with a very ordinary scene from the goings-on of 1999, and had a real task ahead of him that necessitated the rebuilding which started in 2000.

While the Shaw years were really sh*thouse, I don't think that too many of us were too surprised at that, as no-one I know ever rated him one little bit.

After the euphoria of 1997 and 1998, 1999 was our darkest hour.

Okay, I'll agree to disagree on this one. I just felt 2000 was worse than 1999 because in 1999 we had a sh*tload of injuries, whereas in 2000 we underachieved. Some say Ayres was left with a rabble in 2000, I believe he was left with the core of a premiership team.

Originally posted by marvin
I'm omitting 1994 - 1996 because I was living overseas then and saw virtually no footy in that time. 1991 I was living in Sydney and didn't see a lot of the Crows then either, so I've marked it down for personal reasons.

In order for me:

1993 - 2002 (equal)

*a huge gap*
*another huge gap*

1999 was awful. The only game I enjoyed was beating the Saints at Waverley with super ruckman Trent Ormond-Allen.

it's ok u didn't miss a lot from 1994 to 1996 anyway

Originally posted by PrideofSA

it's ok u didn't miss a lot from 1994 to 1996 anyway

Yeah, I know.

Actually, I left Australia 2 days before the 1993 preliminary final, so the Crows were still alive in the finals when I left, and won the premiership the year I got back. As far as I'm concerned, 1994-1996 were probably just like 1993 and 1997-8 - right?

:confused:

Superbly done Dave!!

With Alziemhe (cant even remember how to spell it!) setting in I enjoyed the succinct way in which youve summed up the past 10 odd years.

and the rest are history so to speak.

Oh for another Tony Modra
:(

I think our worst was umm I think it was 200 where we did really crap and came near the bottom. 97 and 98 were definately our best. I think 98 has to win though it's so much sweeter winnign a second time in a row.

Originally posted by Crowaholic
I think our worst was umm I think it was 200 where we did really crap and came near the bottom. 97 and 98 were definately our best. I think 98 has to win though it's so much sweeter winnign a second time in a row.
Tend to disagree with you there, but that might make a good poll question.

I really love 19991 ...love to watch First Blood. It was just unreal, especially for me, being a tasmanian and not knowing a great deal about SA footy at the time.

Our worst were 1994 and 1996 ... Everyone has a go at Shaw - and that's fair enough. However the attitude of some players were just as bad as our coach.

One of them stands out above the rest for me. Andrew Jarman's ****poor attitude and off field antics of 1994 and 1996 still **** me!! He had tremendous skills...but you don't refuse to play for the club and still expect to get picked the next week, let alone the next year!!

Jerome

Originally posted by Jerome

One of them stands out above the rest for me. Andrew Jarman's ****poor attitude and off field antics of 1994 and 1996 still **** me!! He had tremendous skills...but you don't refuse to play for the club and still expect to get picked the next week, let alone the next year!!

AJ was showing signs of this sort of stuff in 1993. The video of the final minor round match when we had to beat Collingwood to make the finals shows a bunch of Crows players celebrating together at the final siren. Except one - who had a trainer smuggle his mobile phone out to him in a bucket so he could talk to his radio station. Nothing like putting the team first........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

people may laught at me.......but 97 98 were the premership years.....but they were up and down seasons..we only startred to fire up like the best side in the compertion in the finals .....for compleat consistancy 2002 was our best year...........we just ran out of luck in the perlimanary final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back