Furla81

Team Captain
Apr 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Victory,Storm
Just a topic I was curious to share with. Obviously there are some really good sponsor logos which look awesome an AFL Teams jersey
example : North Melbourne and Mazda
62355.jpg

but then there are some that look awful example: Richmond and Bingle
231145.jpg

Soo my question is, are there any sponsors which you really like seeing on a jumper or is there a company you would love to see affliated with a certain team?
And if you could change your teams kit manufactuer, who would you change?
Me personally, I would love to see North Melbourne back in a really slick Nike kit
21302.jpg

thoughts and opinions?

Mazda looked great on the North jumper. It started to look crass when the Mazda logo changed from the horizontal design to the box version. It cut out the stripe. I'd argue that the old version was more prominent and better for advertising as well. I also miss the old 'zoom-zoom' on the back of their jumpers. It was very cool having their 'motto' on the back, it lightened things up a bit.

That Nike NM jumper with the HP sponsorship looked great as well. It complimented the jumper. I think Nike worked well with North Melbourne, and Port to a lesser extent. The new Port jumper would look fantastic with a Nike collar as well.

But I don't really mind too much about sponsorship. I think some clubs have a really awesome relationship with certain brands, though. Like the Crows and Toyota, or West Coast and HJ's and SGIO. Maybe even Carlton and Hyundai.

I think ads, and their inevitable changes, can rekindle memories. As a Gooner, I can identify certain Arsenal strips with certain events. The lack of possible change in AFL teams doesn't allow for that, but sponsors do. Like, I'll always think of Alinta as the Fremantle sponsor, because I just grew up with it.

Don was a fitting sponsor for Essendon.
As far as looks went, 3 was good as the logo fit nicely onto the sash.

Ford is part of the fabric (literally) at Geelong. The VFL jumpers look weird, without the Ford logos.

The front of Richmond's looks good with the Jeep logo. At the other end of the spectrum, when 3 was sponsoring Essendon and the Australian cricket team, their logo looked freaking horrendous on a sports uniform.

If we're talking about manufacturers as well, then I just loved the Nike Port designs of 2002-2004. Maybe it was because of the years we were successful, but anything with Nike looks good.

I've always wanted ironic or funny sponsorships, things like:

Essendon: Air Force
Geelong: Wiskas cat food
Gold Coast: True Value Solar
Melbourne: KISS :p
Port Adelaide: AGL electricity
St Kilda: the Catholic (or whatever group) church :p
Footscray: Pal dog food

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always wanted ironic or funny sponsorships, things like:

Essendon: Air Force
Geelong: Wiskas cat food
Gold Coast: True Value Solar
Melbourne: KISS :p
Port Adelaide: AGL electricity
St Kilda: the Catholic (or whatever group) church :p
Footscray: Pal dog food

Richmond: Lifeline

Even though they're no-name brands, I reckon Port's current sponsors work pretty well on our guernsey :thumbsu: They're both mainly in black and white and don't really affect the design too much :)
Took a long time to get used to seeing a Port guernsey without 'Scott's' on it though. There was never anything too wrong with them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back