BigFooty Official Big Footy 2016 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Gallucci at 27?? Kidding right? Better TAC Cup stats than McGluggage, same leap as Ainsworth but bigger engine, great leader...plus he has already been invited to Sydney...so hes in the top 15 and possibly top 10.

Gallucci at 27?? Kidding right? Better TAC Cup stats than McGluggage, same leap as Ainsworth but bigger engine, great leader...plus he has already been invited to Sydney...so hes in the top 15 and possibly top 10.

is there a list of the invitees out or is it just some inside info?

He's one I just can't get excited about. Overrated kicking and I'm pretty sure he's afraid of his own shadow.

If that's true, good on him.
But:
Harley Baltic was invited to Adelaide last year and got picked up at 38.

Richmond Pick 58: Harry Morrison
Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country
12/11/1998 | H: 181.5cm | H: 77.6kg
Outside Midfielder

Full Write up to come- but very happy to get him here when I expect him to be gone by here.

Lewis Taylor was invited to the draft and got picked up at 28, so he's far from guaranteed top 15, however it does show that at least one club (probably Freo, GC or Sydney who have 6-10 picks) seriously rate Gallucci.

Lewis Taylor was invited to the draft and got picked up at 28, so he's far from guaranteed top 15, however it does show that at least one club (probably Freo, GC or Sydney who have 6-10 picks) seriously rate Gallucci.
The top 20 players are invited to the draft according to Twomey and Anderson so he's not necessarily a top 10 pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda select Corey Lyons with pick 64

NAME: Corey Lyons
HEIGHT: 182cm
WEIGHT: 78kg
CLUB: Sandringham/ St Peters FC

BIO:
Corey is the brother of former Adelaide Crow and new Gold Coast son Jarryd Lyons, this is certainly noticeable while watching Corey Play. Corey can play a number of roles through the midfield and at half forward where he uses his hard running trait to great effect. Although his kicking isn’t fantastic, his ability to find the football both on the inside and out, along with a great attitude to tackling and good clearance numbers. Corey will be a workhorse at AFL level, adding great depth through mid, HF and possibly the wings. I was honestly surprised Corey was still here at pick 64 after his fantastic finals series where he collected 30, 18, 21 and 24 disposals for the Dragons. This adds to his fantastic season were he averaged 24 disposals (66%), 4 clearances, 5 marks and a nearly 3 tackles in the TAC to go along with 13 goals in 15 games. In his 3 games at Vic Metro where he played more at half forward he averaged 15 disposals (75%), 1 clearance, 4 marks a game while kicking 2 goals.

RATIONALE:
Midfield depth is the key for the Saints wanting to take the next step. I view their talls down both ends and rucks as their strength, just need to develop the players to go through the flanks and mids which I think I have drafted so far with Witherden (HB/WING), Brown (SF/MID) and Lyons (HF/MID) (will show in my wrap up at the end of the draft).

OTHERS CONSIDERED?:
Was really hoping Sam Walker slipped through to my pick, wasn’t the case so went with the best available midfielder

Last edited:
Last two selections and bit surprised they havent been bid on yet so give them no chance of making through to the rookie. To be honest if GWS got them this late they would be thrilled. I think Cumming particularly has raced up the order and if he was in Victoria I suspect would have a bit more 'all the rage' about him'. Sproule a bit harder to judge. Suspect others may have liked him more than me. Lot to work with but very inconsistent and still not sure what his role at senior level would be. I nearly baulked on him for a small forward which I think the club really needs given Pickett has gone but there are a number I like and I would be happy to wait to the rookie draft to get one.

# 59 - Isaac Cumming NSW / 184cm / 74kg

Isaac has had a terrific back half of the year and i would think he is going to be taken a little higher than this later this month. He is a very composed player who is best suited to half back where he reads the play really well and can use his elite ball use to set teams up. He also has an ability to intercept mark and more than happy to go back into traffic with ribs exposed. One of the things you also tend to like with this kid is he will use his foot skills to spread teams. One kick he is going sideways to open up space, next kick will be 45m off the flank into the corrider and release a player through the middle. GWS love these sorts of players and be surprised if not taken particularly if the bid comes around here as they have ample points to complete. Would have accepted the Pie 4 Life bid at #36 if he had gone through with it.

# 60 - Zac Sproule Murray Bushrangers / 196cm / 84kg

Zac is one I am a little less certain about. Typically not a big fan of taking key forwards late in drafts as very poor history of them working out. Hence the bid on Waterman. Trick with Zac is am still not sure what he is whereas with Waterman I know exactly what he is. Have seen him play forward at times and dominate. He has a decent pair of mits and can take a good grab but he uses his athletic ability to run opponents around and take uncontested marks and he is also pretty good at recovering first from contested situations to score. But then as in the GF and I think the All Star game from memory he will go missing for a long period of time. So it makes you wonder if he is a forward. Having said that maybe he is more your Westhoff player and that is why I have picked him. GWS lack that type and whilst have some good key position forwards coming through next year he might play a more roving role which McCarthy was intended for. The kicker with this kid is he actually may end up a key back. The better games I have seen him play have been back.

AFLprospectss you are up

Last edited:
Knightmare you are up.

If we dont hear from him in an hour or so I have a selection for him. As a fellow Pie fan I would like to see him address the defence and think he could well put a bid on Watson so lets give him some time.

Carlton pick Jacob Allison over to Quigley
Quigley has already stated his intention to match this bid, so probably safe to keep going.
I prioritised pace and skill in this draft. We need that more than anything and the guys I took largely deliver that.

I would have gone with Berry and SPP if they had been available but I took the guys that were left for me.

If I am the Lions I match bids on Watson and Allison who add size for us.

I will match on Allison. I would love us to get him at this stage in the real thing. FWIW I rate Watson as the better prospect. Surprised no-one has bid on him yet.

Jacob Allison

Allison would have to be one of the disappointments of this draft class this year. He was an All-Australian last year as a bottom ager but he failed to deliver this year in fact he looked to go backwards. He still gets drafted but where he was widely tipped to be in the top 10 coming into the year he is probably looking at being taken in the 30s now as a best case scenario. That is not to say there is not talent there but he has highlighted major holes in his game this year.

The two big issues that with his game this year were:

1. He just could not find the ball. He was done no favours by the Allies coaching staff but even still he just could not seem to find the ball. When he was around it he seemed to read the play reasonably well but he seemed a mile away from it too often. I am not sure if he was playing to instructions but whatever he did not find enough of it this year. Last year he was a lot better playing on the wing and at half back. I think that is where he has to play at AFL level and he needs to work harder spreading and getting to space. He played deep forward and some time onball and I just do not think those positions showed his skill set off to best advantage.

2. Allison has the size that teams are all trying to introduce into their onball unit and he was given a chance in that role this year. Whilst he did show some decent ability to read the taps his hands were just not clean enough for him to be considered in that role at AFL level any time soon. He fumbled pretty constantly and unless there was a coachable reason for it (eg keeping his head down for a heartbeat longer) you probably have to write off him as an inside option.

The other area which has gone from a strength to a weakness is probably his kicking. Make no mistake the kid still has a cannon of a leg but he just did not hit targets often enough this year. He is still capable of kicking it 60m from ease and I have seen him deliver little round the corner chips from 50 which have gone over the fence. What he has not shown this year is any touch with his long kicks. To make things worse I think his kicks are very difficult to judge in the air. Players seem to constantly run under Allison's long kicks. Players seem to play for a normal player's kick and move forward only to have the ball keep going and floating over their heads. Early in the year he also bought into his own hype by going long with virtually every kick and usually quite indiscriminately. He did start to look for shorter targets as the season developed. On his shorter targets he occasionally pulled out a bullet that nailed his target but he did develop a tendency to leave it short too much.

So that is a lot of negative, why should a team pick him? In short because he is a 194cm, lightning quick player, with a cannon of a leg who can regularly kick goals from outside 50. Getting forward from defence or on the wing he is a player who can distort zones and create space for his team's forwards. He has conceded that he rested on his laurels a bit over the offseason and leading into the year and personally I still see the upside that was there last year. He finished school last year and the freedom he had for the first time resulted him taking his eye off the ball. Get him into an AFL program and get him focused on what he needs to work on and you could end up with a very good player. He has a very high ceiling.

Allison was the fastest player tested at the Combine running a 2.87 over the 20m. He also showed very good agility for a 194cm player and was in the top 20% for the vertical jump. His repeat sprint was good and endurance testing above average but with attention needed. Combined with his height and leg, his athleticism makes him an enticing prospect which I am sure a lot of coaches would to try and work out how to make best use of those very valuable traits.

One of the things which has counted against him a bit this year I think is that he has not settled into a position and made it his own. He has always been a bit of a utility and whilst that can be good it does lend itself to being played in some less valuable roles. This year he played a lot as a deep forward and inside mid in the rep games and I do not think that really suits him. For me he is an outside player you want coming from behind the ball. In addition to his pace and leg he is also a good mark of the ball on the outside. Allison is also most dangerous from a goal scoring perspective when he is running toward goal rather than leading away from it.

When he gets a run at the ball he is strong in the air and given his height and jumping ability he can outmark most small or medium types he is likely to be matched up on. There is some chance that he develops into a key position or third tall but at the moment I think he is most valuable as an outside runner where he is likely to enjoy significant advantages. It is worth noting that the one time he was switched into defence at the Div 1 Champs was in the last quarter against Vic Country. Going into that quarter the Allies were behind but they managed to shut down VC and come back to win the game. Allison was quietly influential in that result. If you go back and look at that quarter have a look at his positioning when VC were trying to enter the ball into 50. He was regularly in the right spot and either deterred the entry or influenced the contest. His spoiling and marking was good and his tackling influential. I really like the aggression that he brings to his tackling. He attacks the man and can make things happen with his defensive work.

The floor for Allison looks a lot lower than it did at this time last year. Still with his upside I think there will be quite a few teams interested in taking a punt on him if the Lions decide not to match. Given how they traded out of the middle rounds of the draft it is no certainty that the Lions will match a bid on Allison.

Pick 18 - Will Hayward

Height: 186cm
Weight: 76kg
Position: General Forward
Club of Origin: North Adelaide

Strengths:

- Athleticism
- Marking
- Strong in one on one contests
- Goal sense and scoreboard impact
- Sharp skills particularly by hand
- X factor
- Smarts

Weaknesses:

- Lack of a midfield game
- Doesn't win a lot of footy
- Consistency

Bio: Hayward is a sort of hybrid forward, his marking is as good as a player in the 190cm range making him a potent marking target inside 50 but he also possesses a skill set that makes him dangerous when the ball is at ground level. He has only come into elite pathways at North Adelaide this year due to him playing only local and school football until the start of the season so the upside in his development is going to be big for the team that selects him on draft day. Hayward was a player that unsurprisingly impressed me with his results at the National Combine scoring Top Ten finishes in the 20m Sprint (2.94s), Standing Vertical Jump (73cm), Running Vertical Jump (LF) (90cm) and the Clean Hands Test (27) highlighting his ability to break games with speed and his ability to play taller due to his jumping abilities. Hayward is a raw player and will likely need some time in the system to develop both his body and fix up aspects of his game however he has a high ceiling and it wouldn't surprise me to see his name being called out in the first half dozen picks come draft day proper.

Why the Dogs: As of this stage the dogs have few players who can regularly impact the scoreboard playing as forwards and it has been clear for all to see this year that we are missing big time in the forward department. Also most of our forwards we rely on to kick winning scores are approaching their 30's so it important to have a player developing on the list to take their place in 2-3 years time because of this I picked Hayward because of his potential as a goal kicking forward over the long run than some of the others who I was tossing up at this pick.

Players who I contemplated at this pick: Joshua Battle & Shai Bolton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back