BigFooty Official Big Footy Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're being very arbitrary there. Schloithe was delisted fairly young and was predominantly viewed as a forward pocket/flanker, but has since evolved into a midfielder and would likely play a role on the wing at AFL level. I don't know a lot about Bolton's career at Collingwood (just remember seeing him looking solid in a couple of pre-season games) and how he has evolved but it is fairly apparent that he's the best player in the competition and the most advanced midfielder I can see that's not on a list. Agree that not every club would be looking for a player of his age & type, but certainly think that most clubs could benefit with him being on the list at least. It's a long year.

I don't agree with Carlton delisting Deluca at all either, thought that was a weird decision given he played pretty well for them in the back end of the season. I do note that it looks likely they're just shifting him to the rookie list.

I was more just using Schloithe and Bolton as the examples because they were picked up in this draft. To me, they're stopgaps with little improvement to come. I just wouldn't be using a list spot on someone I didn't anticipate being a factor in the long term. I'd rather a younger guy who continues to improve each season like a Cole Gerloff or Matthew Nunn. More potential, and not that much less production.

I was more just using Schloithe and Bolton as the examples because they were picked up in this draft. To me, they're stopgaps with little improvement to come. I just wouldn't be using a list spot on someone I didn't anticipate being a factor in the long term. I'd rather a younger guy who continues to improve each season like a Cole Gerloff or Matthew Nunn. More potential, and not that much less production.

Schloithe and Bolton I picked up for who they are today. I evaluate the pair as being best 22 quality and players who are already good enough to slot straight into Collingwood's best side.

You'd be right to say if picking let's say Riccardi, you'd be picking him in the hope that he improves because he is only 20 and a still ascending key forward. Schloithe and Bolton both ascended to AFL quality three and four years ago respectively.

Conversely you can have a James Podsiadly who even getting re-drafted at 28 was terrific because of how great he was. He didn't need and didn't improve upon who he was in his first season and still played over 100 games at AFL level. Schloithe and Bolton I place in the same category. If you need what they offer, they can step in and give you some immediate performance and good years.

The youth remaining in the pool all have 'yeah buts' and I'd say are suitable for rookie selection but are not players I'd be offering two year deals on AFL lists to. They're all speculative choices where they have a handful of things they do well but not the games where I'd projecting they become best 22 at the next level. With Schloithe and Bolton there is none of that wish and hope. They outplay AFL opposition every time they come up against them. Gerloff and Nunn by comparison remain developing players who still have further to develop before they play to an AFL standard. And that's coming from someone who nominated Nunn as one of the 10 state leaguers I'd consider.

I'm ready for the rookie draft
Murray Bushrangers KPP/Ruck Ben Kelly please.

Jacobs and Hunter's departure leaves us skinny for competent Rucks and this bloke can play key back or key forward with his speed and athleticism.

Last edited:
Some of the names I thought were a bit unlucky i guess were

Mitch Hibberd - genuinely seems to have gone away and improved his game in the areas he maybe was lacking in. Also developed some positional scope

Jesse Clark - Bit of an old school type but as much as the rookie is for the x factor type I still think its a great pathway for natural footballers who are seen to lack a standout attribute but just come into a team and play a role.

Cody Hirst - We need to remember how well he was going until he went north. I think he deserves another shot.

Baldi, Honey, Stapleton, Pretty, Isaac Wareham all players with some nice attributes but can see why they probably missed.
Can say there's four names you've mentioned here I was considering, three with my last selection.

Carlton - LemmingMaster - Warner / Park

Carlton - Warner

Warner is certainly a player that has improved as the season progressed and when the championship was on the line for WA, he had his best game. Has elite levels of endurance and that is a huge advantage in modern day football, especially to make it as a midfielder. A solid endurance base is one of the indicators I really rate in juniors. Then you combine his ability on the inside and the fact he also tackles, I think over a three year period he could develop into an AFL midfielder. Maybe limited in positional ability at the moment, hence he may struggle to find a place at AFL level.
Along with Rivers, they're two very professional footballers that are mates and place either of them in an AFL environment, they're highly likely to get the best out of their abilities.

"A team-orientated footballer, Warner thrives on the contested ball and excels around the clearances. Built for senior football, Warner has a hard-edge to his game and is a consistent tackler. He can find his way out of the stoppages and get the ball forward with numerous inside 50s. Has to add further strings to his bow to be more damaging, but will not take a backwards step in trying to be the best he can be."
Taken from AFL draft central https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/

Carlton - Callum Park

This was a purely speculative pick, when picking in the late rounds, you're looking for players with AFL abilities. A high possession player that has some great skills. With his frame, he still has an uncanny ability to mark a ball and he will certainly need to develop an AFL frame. He could play that Jack Gunston role long term, or maybe a James Sicily role in defense. His marking, kicking and speed are AFL level.

"The talented left footer split his time between Glenelg’s Under 18s and Reserves sides this year, remaining a consistent target outside 50 leading out. Park has averaged 23.3 and 18.6 disposals at the two levels and showed some promising signs for South Australia at the Under-18 Championships. A strong mark who is also capable of playing in defence, he is a strong kick who needs to add size to his 69kg frame."

Taken from AFL draft central https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/

I am playing around with creating a consensus phantom draft.

So far I've taken 12 phantom/power rankings (mostly from BF, but some from media) and averaged out the results to get a 'consensus ranking'. In theory, the average of a bunch of opinions is more accurate than any single opinion. In theory.

I can post the consensus results here if anyone is interested, but for now I thought I would list the BF Phantom top 60 and show how it compares to the consensus.

KEY: 3rd column numbers represent where taken vs consensus (eg -3 means 3 spots earlier). Green means they are sliders (taken later in Phantom vs consensus). Red means bolter (taken earlier than consensus). 0 = taken in line with consensus...

1574134717347.png 1574134745090.png

I could easily do the same for individual posters, but I figure I won't clog up their threads (and shine the spotlight on them) unless they are keen. Knightmare, Pie 4 Life , eDPS, Chris25 , Davo-27, TerryWallet, LemmingMaster....any of you interested to see how your rankings compare to the mob?

So far I've taken 12 phantom/power rankings (mostly from BF, but some from media) and averaged out the results to get a 'consensus ranking'. In theory, the average of a bunch of opinions is more accurate than any single opinion. In theory.

I can post the consensus results here if anyone is interested, but for now I thought I would list the BF Phantom top 60 and show how it compares to the consensus.

KEY: 3rd column numbers represent where taken vs consensus (eg -3 means 3 spots earlier). Green means they are sliders (taken later in Phantom vs consensus). Red means bolter (taken earlier than consensus). 0 = taken in line with consensus...

View attachment 781442 View attachment 781443

I could easily do the same for individual posters, but I figure I won't clog up their threads (and shine the spotlight on them) unless they are keen. Knightmare, Pie 4 Life , eDPS, Chris25 , Davo-27, TerryWallet, LemmingMaster....any of you interested to see how your rankings compare to the mob?

My power rankings including extended power rankings will be out next week so best to compare mine then.

View attachment 781442 View attachment 781443

Queensland’s remaining draft hopes 4 lions , one sun AFL Queensland article

Attachments

• 2AFFE348-32E7-4096-8E8F-5B261DF28ABC.jpeg
    2AFFE348-32E7-4096-8E8F-5B261DF28ABC.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 278
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back