Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Some nice moments on FTM. A Cold New Curse is classic. Aaron is starting to ‘whinge’ a bit vocally. Sounds like Nick Cave too much. Good luck with plumber.

Reckon the album is pretty decent though much suited to death metal vocals the entire time.

I’ve not followed Amon Amarth since 2002’s ‘Versus the World’. The more ‘mainstream’ their brand got, the less interest I had. I’m not about to re-visit their past 17 years but I’m finding this new release ‘Berserker’ really enjoyable. It’s probably the first album of theirs I’ve heard in a decade.

Leprosy is imo the greatest DM album ever, it laid the foundation for everything that came after. The Sound of Perseverance is likewise the best example of Progressive DM.

Chuck was a genius, and he took some amazing musicians along for the ride.

Mate just msgd me - he’s sitting next to a guy at his daughter’s gymnastics who turns out to be Tony Lee Roth from the old Blood Duster.

Anyway, his current band sounds ok. Not hugely original but not bad if you’re into this style (me!). Dave Hayley on drums.

I’ve not followed Amon Amarth since 2002’s ‘Versus the World’. The more ‘mainstream’ their brand got, the less interest I had. I’m not about to re-visit their past 17 years but I’m finding this new release ‘Berserker’ really enjoyable. It’s probably the first album of theirs I’ve heard in a decade.

I haven't properly followed them since about the same time as you but I've checked most of their albums out briefly. Despite going more mainstream one thing I'll give them is that they have never turned their back on their sound and nothing they have done has been really bad. Just not my cup of tea.

Leprosy is imo the greatest DM album ever, it laid the foundation for everything that came after. The Sound of Perseverance is likewise the best example of Progressive DM.

Chuck was a genius, and he took some amazing musicians along for the ride.
i've watched plenty of interviews with him, he just seems like one of the nicest people you will meet extremely intelligent and talented so so so cruel to lose someone like him in that way not fair at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i've watched plenty of interviews with him, he just seems like one of the nicest people you will meet extremely intelligent and talented so so so cruel to lose someone like him in that way not fair at all.

I posted a page or two back that I'd finally listened to Control Denied. That's what he wanted to do going forward, and it would have been exceptional based on the one album they had completed.

Last album I listened to was 'Twilight of the Thunder God' kind of assuming their new one might not be any different to that and what they released before it?

I’m not familiar with their previous couple of albums but what I’ve read & heard (from a friend who is) they follow a well worn path. Not a lot of deviation in sound or style. Certainly catchy with the mainstream metal audience in mind.

I'm an Amon Amarth fan, though they're certainly not amongst my favourites, and I don't consider anything by them to be compulsory. They're a lot of fun live, and I've always made the commitment to see them at their own shows.

amon Amarth: Liked the early stuff but somehow lost a bit of interest later. But from what I know they didn't change their sound much. They never were the most brutal DM band, but they are pretty harsh for a band that plays locations for about 10000 people. That is kind of Maiden/Motörhead/Deep Purple size. Pretty interesting. Most other bigger DM bands play more like 1000 clubs. And the last time I saw Deicide (who used to be pretty big) there were less then 100...

MDB on now. ALODK.

A more straightforward approach on this album, which includes my favourite MDB song ever - Thy Raven Wings. The production on this is great. Previous couple of releases were a bit ‘weighted down’ but this one is superb. Only fleeting signs of any death-vocals but overall I really enjoy this. Album cover only so-so.

That's a lot of MDB. How's the mental health? haha

Went nuts on wowhd.com after reading the Peaceville book. Moreorless ignored them and PL save for first ep (MDB) and first two albums (PL) so playing catch up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back