Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone have any guilty metal listening pleasures they are prepared to own up to? It's Friday so I'm going out on a limb - here's a couple that may get me red-carded lol:

1. Bullet for My Valentine: The Poison
2. Nickelback: All the Right Reasons
3. Papa Roach: The Paramour Sessions

I'll show myself out.....
Depends on what you term a guilty pleasure. I've stepped away from the overarching metal genre with these ones

Graveyard - Hisingen Blues
The Music - The Music
Days of the New - Days of the New

Man, the airlines are operating like crack addicts lately. Just got word Golgothan Remains had to cancel their shows this weekend due to their flights cancelled.

Over in Europe Elder had ALL their gear LOST by Lufthansa. Crazy. Suicidal Tendencies also had most of their gear disappear. I think there's been other bands with horror stories of late. Anybody had experience using Apple AirTags? Seems like mandatory use for baggage these days... if you get your flight.

At Abramelin and it is embarrassing how many slobs smell like s**t. Body odour of all types - you have to be a special kind of loser to leave your house smelling like s**t (keep in mind we are in the middle of winter too). One campaigner had that rotten sock/shoe smell combined with standard fat campaigner sweating in a hoody and never washing odour. Not usually an issue at most shows I go to but it has stood out this evening. If anyone is on their way down please bring a can of Glen 20.
How did werewolves go? Good show up here last week supporting psycroptic

Anyone have any guilty metal listening pleasures they are prepared to own up to? It's Friday so I'm going out on a limb - here's a couple that may get me red-carded lol:

1. Bullet for My Valentine: The Poison
2. Nickelback: All the Right Reasons
3. Papa Roach: The Paramour Sessions

I'll show myself out.....
We share that Bullet for my Valentine album as a guilty pleasure. I dont hate everything Five Finger Death Punch and Disturbed have done. I suppose Babymetal count too? Other than that, if im in the mood there are some pop-punk songs/bands that i dont mind e.g Jimmy Eat World & Yellowcard. As a teenager i listened to that stuff so its probably more nostalgia than anything but yeah those are mine. I also listen to alot of 70s/80s stuff and dont mind bands like Foreigner, Mr Mister, Journey, Toto, REO Speedwagon etc

Tbh, I never got all the hate for Nickelback. Not really my thing, but I can appreciate it is the sort of rock music that gets a lot of mainstream attention, but I've always thought it curious how there's such a gulf between their popularity and the critical reception. Doubt I've ever seen such a popular band get such a pile on, and to me they don't seem that different than most of the critic's darlings.
I agree. Nickelback are genuinely a lot better than a lot of the stuff on the radio. I suppose they are pretty bland (for lack of a better word) but to me their sound isnt grating like a lot of the popular 'indie rock' (or whatever) bands. I also listened to them a bit when i was just getting into music as a youngster which gives them a few brownie points i guess. I cant imagine Nickelback being anyones favourite band but to my ear, i can think of plenty worse stuff out there.

I also forgot to add Evanescence as one of my guilty pleasures. I find them hit or miss but i still like Amy Lee's vocals. I much prefer plenty of other symphonic metal but Evanescence are somewhat passable.

These sounds are to be cherished.
Agreed. I prefer the heavier rock/metal of the 70s/80s (and beyond fwiw) but some of the popular radio friendly rock was good. There are plenty of bands like Boston/Kansas/Yes/The Doors/Pink Floyd/Captain Beyond/Rush/Cream that i still listen to heaps, although they arent guilty pleasures, they are just good bands. I think the popular rock of the 70s still stands up well and even the 'pop' or 'soft rock' was listenable. Then obviously the heavier stuff was great too. I still dont think of myself as a 'metalhead' (whatever connotations you associate with that word) i just love music and metal tends to grab me more than anything else

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for guilty pleasures, have just discovered polyphia (years late to the partty, yes I know!).
Ear candy for muso-types, amazing stuff.

My guilty pleasure was always Sleaze Rock.

I say "was" as a certain poster here, who shall remain nameless, has the same love for it and has made me take it in a more overt direction. Black Metal will always be my favourite, but I'm not shy about my love for Crue, Ratt, LA Guns, etc anymore, especially since certain unnamed poster put me onto MädHouse whose upcoming album I am absolutely salivating for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back