Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Both times I saw Malevolent Creation were with tiny crowds.

Max Watts less than 20, 170 Russell maybe 30ish (having Spawn of Possession as an opener, too).

First time I saw Vader, Corner Hotel, was maybe 70 odd.

Some offensive figures given the quality of these bands.

Metalcore? Actually the most recent band I saw live was:

But tomorrow it's blackmetal again hopefully. Watain and Abbath. But original show was cancelled and they play an emergency show in a much smaller venue now. So there could be problems getting in unless interest is really so little...

Above mentioned Integrity actually played in front of ~50 people. Expected them to draw a few more people as well.

The mid-week show was much smaller. Mid-week tends to suck in terms of crowd sizes.

Got most of the Melbourne shows online.

Both times I saw Malevolent Creation were with tiny crowds.

Max Watts less than 20, 170 Russell maybe 30ish (having Spawn of Possession as an opener, too).

First time I saw Vader, Corner Hotel, was maybe 70 odd.

Some offensive figures given the quality of these bands.

Reckon there was more than 20 at that first Malevolent show. It was really bad though - my recollection would have it around 50. Weird how things change because if that MC line up was around today I reckon they would get a really big crowd at the Bendigo (apparently it has a 350 person capacity - I don't believe that). I didn't go to the second Malevolent tour though remember I was surprised they were coming back less than a year later!. Even the first Suffocation tour had a pretty poor turnout.

The mid-week show was much smaller. Mid-week tends to suck in terms of crowd sizes.

Got most of the Melbourne shows online.

Integrity would have had a sold out show at the Arthouse if they were able to tour here around 95 - 98 when the Victory Records stuff was really popular. I can't recall why I didn't go to the Melbourne shows - I'm a fan of their later material. Nice eclectic mix in their music.

Far out, those crowd sizes for Malevolent & Vader are disappointing (must have been a while back), I'd have thought they'd at least half filled HiFi/MaxWatts whatever it is.. Hazard a guess they easily would these days with a local band or two supporting.

But tomorrow it's blackmetal again hopefully. Watain and Abbath. But original show was cancelled and they play an emergency show in a much smaller venue now. So there could be problems getting in unless interest is really so little...
Was there half an hour before doors opened and there were already more people then I could stand in that location. Went straight home. What a nonsense crap. I originally bought a ticket in advance too not wait in some stupid line just to perhaps not get in...

Everybody tries to sell tickets in advance but in the end I pay additional fees I won't get back, an useless train ticket, drank useless beer and probably have the annoyance to even send the original ticket back while I didn't see any show...

Was there half an hour before doors opened and there were already more people then I could stand in that location. Went straight home. What a nonsense crap. I originally bought a ticket in advance too not wait in some stupid line just to perhaps not get in...

Everybody tries to sell tickets in advance but in the end I pay additional fees I won't get back, an useless train ticket, drank useless beer and probably have the annoyance to even send the original ticket back while I didn't see any show...
Should have punched your way in drank a heap of beers & shots then dragged a bird back, what are you doin mate?!

Far out, those crowd sizes for Malevolent & Vader are disappointing (must have been a while back), I'd have thought they'd at least half filled HiFi/MaxWatts whatever it is.. Hazard a guess they easily would these days with a local band or two supporting.
I believe Max Watts official capacity is 850, and 650 with the mezzanine closed. 300 gives a good vibe but is probably break-even for international promoters.

That Irish podcaster that someone shared (can't remember his name) mentioned the reality of touring is playing in front of 15-75 people most nights. He's probably right unless you're a really big drawcard.

A reminder about the Ripper Owens (and Simon Wright) shows coming up this month.

AllDates_Banner-Ad-2.jpg

That Vader show, they actually drew a curtain over half of the floor, that's how bad it was. Not that it mattered, they played an amazing show. I was so glad to see them get a proper Melbourne crowd when they played with Kreator, and they got a fantastic reception.

I believe Max Watts official capacity is 850, and 650 with the mezzanine closed. 300 gives a good vibe but is probably break-even for international promoters.

That Irish podcaster that someone shared (can't remember his name) mentioned the reality of touring is playing in front of 15-75 people most nights. He's probably right unless you're a really big drawcard.

Max Watts doesn't seem to sell out a lot, but it did the second time I saw Dragonforce there (this was right when Guitar Hero made them massive). Absolutely jam packed, and the AC went out...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the new doco on Cypress Hill on Paramount+ last night, I always liked them especially when they were big in the early 90's. No big surprise as they've been at a few big metal festivals, saw them at Soundwave, but they grew up listening to metal.

Watched the new doco on Cypress Hill on Paramount+ last night, I always liked them especially when they were big in the early 90's. No big surprise as they've been at a few big metal festivals, saw them at Soundwave, but they grew up listening to metal.

I've been watching The Simpsons on Disney+ (to try to pinpoint when it fell off the cliff) and recently watched the Lollapalooza episode. After your post, all I can think about is Cypress Hill stealing Peter Frampton's symphony orchestra for Insane in the Brain.

I've been watching The Simpsons on Disney+ (to try to pinpoint when it fell off the cliff) and recently watched the Lollapalooza episode. After your post, all I can think about is Cypress Hill stealing Peter Frampton's symphony orchestra for Insane in the Brain.
Yeah I remember that. Gotta watch new Beavis and Butthead next.

I remember they were on A Current Affair, or possibly Hinch, when they toured that Insane in the Brain album at Festival Hall, a couple of my mates went. Was a big beat up about teens smoking weed, being corrupted, ban them, etc

Last edited:
Interestingly these guys are from the same neighborhood South Gate/Downey in LA, 2 brothers the main members, heard they own an extreme metal shop called Dark Realm Records around there. Never released an album proper but about half a dozen EP's over the past 30+ years

Cypress Hill fully shilled ✔️

Interestingly these guys are from the same neighborhood South Gate/Downey in LA, 2 brothers the main members, heard they own an extreme metal shop called Dark Realm Records around there. Never released an album proper but about half a dozen EP's over the past 30+ years

Cypress Hill fully shilled ✔️

I preordered the debut back in the 90s never arrived. Probably the band with the longest existence without a fulllength release. 35 years.

Still a great band.

PS This is pretty close to their sound:

Their drummer played with Sadistic Intent for some time.

Just picked up new closed-back headphones - Fostex TH610 and iFi Audio xDSD Gryphon DAC/Headphone amplifier; am breaking them in with the new Queensryche album (definitely their best post-Geoff Tate release imo)

Trialed them against three Focal models: Radiance, Celestee & Utopia (which go for $4,500 so was never going to buy those lol). To suggest I am super happy with them is an understatement.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back