Injury BigFooty GIANTS injury report - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: BigFooty GIANTS injury report - latest: O'hAilpin ruptured l. ACL (season), Brogan r. arm (month

Setanta's career in limbo

IRISHMAN Setanta O'hAilpin has opted to undergo a traditional knee reconstruction, bringing to an end his debut season with Greater Western Sydney and possibly his AFL career.
After consultation with his surgeon, the 29-year-old resisted the temptation to undergo the LARS procedure and will soon undergo the traditional reconstruction of the ligament next week.
"I've had a knee reconstruction, I think the most important thing is to get the operation correct and not rush it," Sheedy said earlier on Tuesday.

"I hope we get him right and can possibly continue his career after his recovery."

In better news for the Giants, ruckman Dean Brogan doesn't require surgery on his injured elbow, but will still miss around four to six weeks.

Brogan also picked up his injury against Carlton, which has been diagnosed as a tendon injury around his right elbow, but won't go under the knife.

Re: BigFooty GIANTS injury report - latest: O'hAilpin ruptured l. ACL (season), Brogan r. arm (month

well i just hope gws do the right thing and give him another contract. it would be an indictment on the club if they cut him under these circumstances as i believe it was an indictment on carlton after they cut him.

get well soon setant.

He's shown me enough - I'd re-hire him.

He's shown me enough - I'd re-hire him.

I think it'll depend on who we pick up at the end of this year. Another mature body in the forward line, e.g. Cloke, will probably spell the end for him at GWS.

On a brighter note, I noticed Kurt Aylett is listed at 4 weeks with his ACL - up until now that has been 'indefinite' so he must be getting closer. I liked his work last year before he went down.

Oh, and good to see my man Stevie Clifton getting closer as well. :)

I think it'll depend on who we pick up at the end of this year. Another mature body in the forward line, e.g. Cloke, will probably spell the end for him at GWS.

Thats true, but Fremantle have already pushed a million dollars on the table, and with Brown and Clark setting the market, thats a reasonable price.

Personally, I like o'hAilpin plus Cameron on a four year deal plus Bugg on a four year deal plus Hampton on a four year deal plus Coniglio on a four year deal a lot more than I like Cloke in orange and charcoal, and us hoping we can get the kids re-signed.

well i just hope gws do the right thing and give him another contract. it would be an indictment on the club if they cut him under these circumstances as i believe it was an indictment on carlton after they cut him.

get well soon setant.

The thing is we need Setanta more this year than we will next year. I think it is fair to say his career is on the line.

However going by Twitter everyone in the team loves him, Patton won't be completely ready for another couple of years and there is always room for people who can play multiple positions.

How good a defender is he? Can he play as Cornes-style backman or does he not quite have the footy-nous for that?

The thing is we need Setanta more this year than we will next year. I think it is fair to say his career is on the line.

However going by Twitter everyone in the team loves him, Patton won't be completely ready for another couple of years and there is always room for people who can play multiple positions.

How good a defender is he? Can he play as Cornes-style backman or does he not quite have the footy-nous for that?

I don't know about that..
We need a experienced forward who can take a contested grab. Cameron and Patton should both be stars, but we will need someone else there while they develop over the next 2 years..

Needing him more this year than next I don't know about. This year we'd love to get some wins but no-one is expecting it. Next year we're going to need the wins much more than this year, so having Setanta then IMHO is absolutely vital.

Anyone see or hear how Patton went in the magoos?

I'm so excited to see this guy in action.

He is listed to play with UWS this weekend in Canberra against the GCFC 2nds, so that could be a great chance to see him.

Small updates to the injury list with Sumner (foot) and Kennedy (shoulder) out this week. With Shiel, Bugg and Smith being rested, that pair could also just have niggles justifying a week off.

Aylett should be edging closer to a return through the reserves after sustaining an ACL tear last season.

Latest update on Patton is that his knee is feeling good, the main issue now being match fitness after missing the pre-season. They're not setting a timeline on his senior debut with the focus being on his fitness.

Re: BigFooty GIANTS injury report - latest: Sumner (foot) and Kennedy (shoulder) out R8

Liam Sumner is 6-8 weeks with a broken foot, so he has a touch of moonbootitis right now. He was also concussed by an errant boot to the head in the second quarter against the Suns, which is why he was subbed off for Sauce Phillips.

The really funny thing is that he didn't know the foot was broken until a couple of days after the game. He had some pain, but put that down to the usual wear and tear of AFL level footy. It wasn't until he tried to play a round of golf that he discovered that there was something serious painful down there (the weight transference when teeing off was the trigger).

As well as being one tough hombre, Liam is bright & dedicated. I expect him to apply himself really well to his rehab and be back sooner rather than later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: BigFooty GIANTS injury report - latest: Sumner (foot) and Kennedy (shoulder) out R8

Update per the Giants website - updated the OP.

GIANTS INJURY UPDATE ROUND 9
O’hAilpin – ACL - Season
Sumner - Stress fracture (foot) - 6 weeks
Bruce - Back - 3 weeks
Growden – Broken leg - 3 weeks
Brogan – Elbow – 3 weeks
Clifton - Knee - 2 weeks
Miles - Knee - 2 weeks
Kennedy - Shoulder - test
Aylett – ACL - Test
Hombsch - Quad - Test

Big news from Sheeds at the first training session at Skoda today:

@GWS_Giants:
"Jonathon Patton will be back for the Richmond game and we can't wait to see him run out there" @Kevin_Sheedy

Re: BigFooty GIANTS injury report - latest: Kennedy (shoulder) and Hombsch (quad) test for R9

Adam Kennedy seems to have passed the test on his shoulder and has been named in the 22 to face Essendon.

Folau was a late withdrawal from the Bombers game with a hamstring complaint, and I read this morning that it might keep him out of the Geelong game. That would give him 3 weeks off as there's the bye in round 11 too; they've spoken about giving him have a rest at some point and would likely be factored in.

Re: BigFooty GIANTS injury report - latest: Folau (hamstring) late withdrawal R9, questionable for R

Folau was a late withdrawal from the Bombers game with a hamstring complaint, and I read this morning that it might keep him out of the Geelong game. That would give him 3 weeks off as there's the bye in round 11 too; they've spoken about giving him have a rest at some point and would likely be factored in.

Bring in Josh Bruce!

Re: BigFooty GIANTS injury report - latest: Folau (hamstring) late withdrawal R9, questionable for R

Nice to see:

Kurt Aylett has been taken off the club's injury list after undergoing a full knee reconstruction in August 2011 due to an ACL injury. Aylett will be available for selection for the UWS GIANTS who will take on the Sydney Hills Eagles at Bruce Purser Reserve on Saturday.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/aylett-removed-from-injury-list.html

More updates from that article:
- Folau (hamstring) and Palmer (groin) listed as 1 week
- Kennedy (shoulder) listed as test again after returning against Essendon
- Hombsch (quad) removed from the injury list after being listed as test last week

The players listed as 1-2 weeks (Folau, Palmer, Miles, Clifton, Brogan, Bruce) will benefit from the bye in both grades in round 11 and should be set to return for GWS or UWS in round 12.

The only injury concern coming out of the Geelong game would be Jacob Townsend who took a knock to the jaw and was subbed out at half-time.

As mentioned, with the bye in both grades this week we could have around six players returning from injury for GWS and UWS in round 12: Folau, Palmer, Miles, Clifton, Brogan, Bruce.

Coniglio will miss four matches after undergoing surgery on his thumb.

Coniglio to miss four matches
Greater Western Sydney GIANTS midfielder Stephen Coniglio will miss the next four games after undergoing surgery on his thumb.

Coniglio had surgery this week to repair tendon damage in his right thumb. He was drafted by the GIANTS with selection number two in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft and has played nine of the club's first 10 matches.

GIANTS Football Manager Graeme Allan said: "Stephen has had an excellent season so far and is one of four GIANTS players who've already been nominated for the NAB AFL Rising Star.

"We look forward to him making a full recovery and being available to return to the side later next month."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back