Bigger Crowd in 2018: ANZAC Day or ANZAC Day Eve?

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone's missing the point, the crowd for Anzac Day has nothing to do with who plays now. The reason any 2 clubs can draw the same crowd as pies and dons is because these 2 clubs ( mainly Essendon/sheedy) went out of their way to turn the day into an event 20 years ago. Playing on Anzac Day wasn't new, turning it into an event to honour the day was what made it special. Those 2 clubs worked together along with the afl/rsl to make it what it is. It is what it is now is because 2 powerful clubs got involved at the start.

Apparently Sheedy wanted to have this rival match with Richmond (due to him having connections with both teams). Richmond never got back to Sheedy (too busy with other stuff) so Sheedy went to Collingwood instead and there you have our 20 years on this match.

Hmm actually I have met sheedy and I asked him why did you choose Collingwood? Sheedy replied “ because Collingwood are that biggest club in Melbourne and it does not matter where they are on the ladder they always turnout in mass number’s”.

Actually sounds true as Collingwood where 0-3 in 1995 when 94,825 were in attendance. While 20,000 were locked out of the ground. Sheedy never had any other club in mind apart from Collingwood.

Also Bruce Ruxton who was president of the RSL was a massive Collingwood as well also asked for his approval as well before he went to the AFL

as a neutral i went to the 1990 premiership piesvdons when the roof was off the old southern stand because it was in the middle of construction and when we walked in it all the crowd all looked liked red and black but when collingwood came home in the last quartrer that stand was actually moving lol

Apparently Sheedy wanted to have this rival match with Richmond (due to him having connections with both teams). Richmond never got back to Sheedy (too busy with other stuff) so Sheedy went to Collingwood instead and there you have our 20 years on this match.

Lol you are wrong it was only Collingwood he asked and then president of the RSL Bruce Ruxton who was a massive Collingwood supporter for approval before going to the afl.

LOL! No dice there dude.

I remember a famous game when we were really struggling as a club and we played a game against the Pies at Richmond Paddock(G),Kane Pettifer kicked the sealer and the whole ground went off,way more Tigers in the ground.

We were not travelling well either as a club.

Tigers will always bring in the biggest crowd out of the 4 teams. Last year we had 60K of our own in an 85K crowd and this year will be no different. Pies\Dons will only bring in 40K each. We’re a level above the rest. Don’t be surprised if Anzac eve draws a bigger crowd.

Except it will since Melbourne have all the reserved seats.

Nope. I upgraded to reserved seat with my 16 game membership weeks ago and there were seats throughout the public reserve. Dees fans pretty much all sit in the MCC (home or away) anyway with a few behind the punt rd goals. It will be yellow and black everywhere else.

If Tigers win against Melbourne, and the Pies play like they did last week and beat Essendon, we could get the record for Home & Away attendance broken the next weekend when the Pies take on Richmond.

Will be huge.

Tigers will always bring in the biggest crowd out of the 4 teams. Last year we had 60K of our own in an 85K crowd and this year will be no different. Pies\Dons will only bring in 40K each. We’re a level above the rest. Don’t be surprised if Anzac eve draws a bigger crowd.

Lol you have not been to the last few Anzac Day games have you. Who ever has been the home team has easily out numbered the away team due to reserve seat holders since 2013. The home team has has 60,000 of their own supporters. Would expect a crowd of around 93-95,000 on Anzac Day with 60,000 being Collingwood fans. Richmond are not the only club who can draw 60,000 plus to their home games. Collingwood and Essendon have done this on a few occasions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Tigers win against Melbourne, and the Pies play like they did last week and beat Essendon, we could get the record for Home & Away attendance broken the next weekend when the Pies take on Richmond.

Will be huge.
And if the pies win on Anzac Day expect a huge Collingwood turnout too. The army is awaking Richmond

Nope. I upgraded to reserved seat with my 16 game membership weeks ago and there were seats throughout the public reserve. Dees fans pretty much all sit in the MCC (home or away) anyway with a few behind the punt rd goals. It will be yellow and black everywhere else.

Melbourne will bring 35-40,000 of their own fans will not be a Richmond.

Again Richmond are not the only club people support. Melbourne get 35-40,000 every queens bday so they will get the same on Anzac eve. Richmond are not even bigger the Collingwood and Essendon. Even your CEO said so
Benny said that because the government gave Collingwood 2 mill and we got nothing.

And if the pies win on Anzac Day expect a huge Collingwood turnout too. The army is awaking Richmond

god I hope we both win our respective Anzac matches - and we'll have a proper Rich V Coll ding dong! the first time for 35 years! Would be huge!
Isnt it great we can even have an argument over crowds and team support again: it takes me back to early high school. Frankly, the MCG needs bigger capacity now - the lockouts are becoming more frequent, and there is no doubt many matches could have drawn well over 100k if the capacity was there (particularly GA capacity)

god I hope we both win our respective Anzac matches - and we'll have a proper Rich V Coll ding dong! the first time for 35 years! Would be huge!
Isnt it great we can even have an argument over crowds and team support again: it takes me back to early high school. Frankly, the MCG needs bigger capacity now - the lockouts are becoming more frequent, and there is no doubt many matches could have drawn well over 100k if the capacity was there (particularly GA capacity)
After careful consideration i don't think our clubs could surpass or even match Anzac day no matter how we were traveling, not in a HaA game anyway.

As expected, this has now turned into a Collingwood vs Richmond who is bigger shitfight.

It's all gopies and gallagher. I can't believe those 2 sad sacks were up at 3am on Sunday morning having a fap session in the Richmond bigger than Collingwood thread lol. Piss those 2 clowns off and we're golden.

You need to stop smoking Crack.

The time will come when the big 4 Melbourne clubs will be up and about at the same time, imagine that, a mixture of any of Collingwood/Richmond/Carlton and Essendon would push 85k and obliterate the league record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back