Biggest GF comeback since?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not stirring the pot, but thought the pies were stiff.
A fifty meter, couldve let it go
A block by Rioli
Shuey getting 30 sec 70 mtr out

West coast shouldve kicked another few though in the last
All true, but then again there’s Darling’s bizarre dropped sitter in the dying minutes that should have sealed it, as well as the Masten and Ryan misses.

All in all WC basically dominated from late in the first quarter. I think they’d have been stiff if they’d lost.

Collingwood also led Carlton by 5 goals to nil during the 2nd quarter in 1979 and lost that game by 5 points as well
God I love the pies on grand final day. If your team isn’t there the pies being there and losing is the next best thing. Thank you Collingwood for never changing:)

Essendon in 84 were close to 5 goals down in the 3rd.
Yep, 1979, 1981 and 1984 were grand finals I watched live on tv with all comebacks from times margin was getting out of control. Great grand finals and so was this one. Grand finals in the day, at the G, just beautiful.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was a strange game.

One team didn't show up the first quarter. Other team fell asleep in the second.

Eerily similar to todays game.

Don't think it got close to 29 points though.

Said to a mate (Sydney supporter) at three quarter time yesterday how bloody similar it was to the 2012 grand final. Break away in the first quarter, other side rallies in the second, then both teams go into the last quarter in the 50's. After that comment, Collingwood break away by 2 goals (like Hawthorn did) and then a goal for the ages at the death seals a comeback and a flag. Pretty crazy actually.

Not stirring the pot, but thought the pies were stiff.
A fifty meter, couldve let it go
A block by Rioli
Shuey getting 30 sec 70 mtr out

West coast shouldve kicked another few though in the last
Counted the shuey thing - now this WAS the thirs time id watched and around 1 am and many many many rum - but i counted 20 sec.

Has Carlton signed him on to oversee the football department yet?

Not heard anything about such a thing apart from 2 or 3 minutes on radio of Gaz and Tim talking about some report from nufty media w***er Tom Browne. Somebody may have made something up just to have fun at Tom Browne's expense. He is pretty dumb reporter. That does not mean it is certain bullshit but unless any concrete news from Carlton itself was announced do not take any notice.

If Wallsy was to get back involved in football he would have to get out of the holiday mode he in, not sure his Mrs will allow him so more likely Tom Browne got it all wrong, as usual...
10 reports, about 4 he will get right...

One from the WAFL, 1955 GF.

Perth led at quarter time, 2.7.19 to 1.0.6 for East Fremantle, but didn't score in the second while Old Easts put another 7.5 on the board.

East Freo then scored only a behind in the third while the Dees scored 5.3, and each went goal for goal in the last with Perth prevailing by two points.

1997 WAFL grand final for me as a South's supporter trumps it.

East Fremantle kick the first goal in the last quarter to get it out to a 23 point lead to them. David Hart in his last game inspires the team to kick the last 5 goals of the match and we win by 6 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back