Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Injury Update 23rd April …

Four Blues facing tests​

Player

Injury

Update

Dom AkueiConcussionProgressing through concussion protocols.
Availability: test. (Update: 23 April)
Matt CarrollGroinContinuing on his modified program.
Return to play will be further assessed in Round 7. (Update: 26 March)
Adam CerraHamstringAvailability: one week. (Update: 23 April)
David CuninghamCalfAiming to be test to play next week. (Update: 23 April)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Lachie FogartyWristCommenced running program.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 11. (Update: 16 April)
Caleb MarchbankConcussionProgressing through recovery.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 9. (Update: 16 April)
Jack MartinHamstringLow-grade hamstring last week. Will enter a conditioning block.
Availability: 5-6 weeks. (Update: 3 April)
Mitch McGovernHamstringAvailability: 1-2 weeks. (Update: 23 April)
Jesse MotlopHamstringSuffered a further hamstring injury in recent days.
Availability: 4-5 weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Adam SaadHamstringMedium-grade hamstring strain.
Availability: six weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)
Zac WilliamsAchilles sorenessReceived a knock to Achilles on Saturday and was subbed out of the game.
Jacob WeiteringCorkAvailability: test. (Update: 23 April)
Billy WilsonConcussionProgressing through concussion protocols.

My understanding is that Walsh pulled out of a Club / social occasion during the week given back soreness
Believe you're referring to the clubs Hall of Fame night, can't imagine he'd have wanted to be there with thousands of diehards asking him every 3 seconds about his back. Highly doubt there's anything wrong with him if he's back training, probably just asked to skip the night for his own sake.

Like any player when it comes to injuries, most of the conjecture is from external people thinking the have a better grasp of where a player is at with rehab

Injuries are par of the course within the AFL, they don't discriminate depending the quality of the player

I'm excited with the prospect of having best 22 players being available

Fair enough. I did want to know so you have answered.

You can understand why I pointed it out though. The theme of your early Walsh video built down the significance of Walsh's setback. Instead it was right to be frustrated as he missed the season start. And he missed in the context of yet another season start with a big injury list of key players.

I mean, it's fundamentally right to get frustrated if a player of the calibre of Walshy/Weitering is going to miss 'any' game.

Carry on the good work Terry, especially where your investigate the media bit. It was this that made me post on your video in the first place. You're practically mainstream now.

Yeah I understand that.

I still feel the same way. That is, he will probably need to be managed for the rest of his career. Unfortunately having that surgery at 22 is the reality.

Could become a "Dominator" type player that impacts at the pointy end of the season?

Thanks for reaching out.

I think the info on Walsh has been straight forward. He pulled up with a sore back after some pretty tough match sim. They have put him into a recovery phase. The time frame has been based around how he feels. The last few weeks reports have been reporting that he is making good progress and is now in full training.

My translation on that is that he will likely play this week or the next.

No one has come out and officially stated that but why should we? Keep them guessing, give them more homework to do.

I think the info on Walsh has been straight forward. He pulled up with a sore back after some pretty tough match sim. They have put him into a recovery phase. The time frame has been based around how he feels. The last few weeks reports have been reporting that he is making good progress and is now in full training.

My translation on that is that he will likely play this week or the next.

No one has come out and officially stated that but why should we? Keep them guessing, give them more homework to do.

...although, I loved Sean's line from the Prendcast re: football club injuries - 'No news is bad news !!"

Curious if the village idiot Mitch Cleary will come out and apologies when Walsh plays this week or will he claim a miracle?

Like any player when it comes to injuries, most of the conjecture is from external people thinking the have a better grasp of where a player is at with rehab

Injuries are par of the course within the AFL, they don't discriminate depending the quality of the player

What excites me the most is that we're winning without some of our best players. That's what the best sides do.

People hate dealing with unknowns.

But sometimes injuries are just unknowns. You don't really know how long it will take to heal, how soon you can train, how it will respond to rehab.

It's just hard to know with some things. Like the bounce of a footy, you can have a good idea, but sometimes it's going to go the other way

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Curious if the village idiot Mitch Cleary will come out and apologies when Walsh plays this week or will he claim a miracle?

Apologise for what? From what I heard Mitch say (Talking Footy 13/3) is that if Sam doesn't get through the next couple of weeks of training then surgery becomes a legitimate consideration.

He's just reporting what he's heard.

Apologise for what? From what I heard Mitch say (Talking Footy 13/3) is that if Sam doesn't get through the next couple of weeks of training then surgery becomes a legitimate consideration.

He's just reporting what he's heard.

“I was told by someone at Carlton that watching him run is like watching an old man run,” - Mitch Clearly incompetent 15/3/24

A lot changes in 11 days or does he just throw crap and see what sticks?

Perhaps his someone who spoke to someone who knows someone is wrong....

Reporting should be based on facts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People hate dealing with unknowns.

But sometimes injuries are just unknowns. You don't really know how long it will take to heal, how soon you can train, how it will respond to rehab.

It's just hard to know with some things. Like the bounce of a footy, you can have a good idea, but sometimes it's going to go the other way

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Very philosophical B&S 👍🏽

“I was told by someone at Carlton that watching him run is like watching an old man run,” - Mitch Clearly incompetent 15/3/24

A lot changes in 11 days or does he just throw crap and see what sticks?

Perhaps his someone who spoke to someone who knows someone is wrong....

Reporting should be based on facts.

meh. It was hardly offensive.
Sam Edmund reports every week what he 'hears' from sources at Carlton. Some prove right, some don't.

Walsh - will need to get through training this week. But likely playing.
Weitering - playing
Motlop - fitness test this week
Marchbank - vfl
Martin - vfl
Hollands - playing
That's awesome. Only one I am surprised with is Martin into the VFL. I think we are desperate for a 3rd Marking target in the Forward Half. I would bring him in for Kennedy.

Thanks for the info!

That's awesome. Only one I am surprised with is Martin into the VFL. I think we are desperate for a 3rd Marking target in the Forward Half. I would bring him in for Kennedy.

Thanks for the info!

If Martin is playing vfl I suspect it's more a management thing. Same with Marchbank. Cautious given their history.

I also think Voss would be nervous about bringing in all these guys coming off injuries at the same time. Phasing them in over a few weeks makes sense.

Thanks for the info!
Hollands plays as a 3rd marking option despite having different attributes to Martin

Fun Love GIF by FEI Global

Last edited:
Finally …

Latest Injury Update 26th March

Player

Injury

Update

Matt CarrollGroinContinuing on his modified program.
Return to play will be further assessed in Round 7. (Update: 26 March)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Caleb MarchbankIllnessIn full training.
Available for selection this week. (Update: 26 March)
Jack MartinHamstringExperienced a low-grade hamstring injury at training on Monday.
Unavailable for selection this week. (Update: 26 March)
Alex MirkovConditioningEntered a modified program to increase training loads.
Availability: Indefinite – will be reassessed in Round 6. (Update: 26 March)
Jesse MotlopToeIn full training.
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)
Sam WalshBackReturning to full training next week.
Availability: 2-3 weeks. (Update: 26 March)
Jacob WeiteringCalfIn full training.

Martin again :cry:
Seriously - did you expect anything different? If he gets fit to play later in the year it would be a bonus. Same for Marchbank - can not be relied on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back