Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Injury Update 23rd April …

Four Blues facing tests​

Player

Injury

Update

Dom AkueiConcussionProgressing through concussion protocols.
Availability: test. (Update: 23 April)
Matt CarrollGroinContinuing on his modified program.
Return to play will be further assessed in Round 7. (Update: 26 March)
Adam CerraHamstringAvailability: one week. (Update: 23 April)
David CuninghamCalfAiming to be test to play next week. (Update: 23 April)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Lachie FogartyWristCommenced running program.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 11. (Update: 16 April)
Caleb MarchbankConcussionProgressing through recovery.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 9. (Update: 16 April)
Jack MartinHamstringLow-grade hamstring last week. Will enter a conditioning block.
Availability: 5-6 weeks. (Update: 3 April)
Mitch McGovernHamstringAvailability: 1-2 weeks. (Update: 23 April)
Jesse MotlopHamstringSuffered a further hamstring injury in recent days.
Availability: 4-5 weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Adam SaadHamstringMedium-grade hamstring strain.
Availability: six weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)
Zac WilliamsAchilles sorenessReceived a knock to Achilles on Saturday and was subbed out of the game.
Jacob WeiteringCorkAvailability: test. (Update: 23 April)
Billy WilsonConcussionProgressing through concussion protocols.

A bit late now, but addressing two recent points of contention re Doc ACL

1) Why did they send him back? How did they not realise he had torn his ACL?

Snapping your ACL doesn't actually hurt that much. It's ancillary damage (such as bone bruising) that causes most of the pain. It's not uncommon to not immediately realise you have torn your ACL. There is a (Lachman) test you can run, which checks for certain movement/stability in the knee. I'm guessing it's standard practice in the AFL, but you won't really know for sure if the ACL is gone or not without scans.

2) Do you really need to repair the ACL?

I tore mine years ago and went to see a (well-regarded) surgeon. I was 99% sure he would tell me to operate as that's how he got paid! He asked me a bunch of questions about my lifestyle and essentially recommended not to get surgery as I didn't really play sport and wasn't particularly active.

He said Australia by far leads the world in number of ACL surgeries due to how many ppl play footy, rugby, netball - which involve twisting more than many other sports. If you're playing any of these (or doing things like skiing) regularly, your knee won't really hold up properly without surgery. Otherwise, you could probably skip it. Note: talking very generally here, as obviously each person will have different circumstances about body, leg strength, arthritis, other factors.

Disclaimer: I don't have any medical qualifications, this is just from my personal experience and understanding.
they are also finding acls can repair on their own over the same time frame as surgery + rest allowing for more focus on strength building of the areas around the knee which has better chances of reducing repeat injuries. Still early stages on that path but it's gaining popularity slowly and some pro athletes have started considering it/ avoiding surgery.

they are also finding acls can repair on their own over the same time frame as surgery + rest allowing for more focus on strength building of the areas around the knee which has better chances of reducing repeat injuries. Still early stages on that path but it's gaining popularity slowly and some pro athletes have started considering it/ avoiding surgery.

I was under the impression the ACL cannot repair itself.

Edit: Meant to specify a full tear

Jack Martin any chance for this week???? Would love him back in the team but not sure who he pushes out.

Jack Martin any chance for this week???? Would love him back in the team but not sure who he pushes out.

Gut feel is all of Martin, Weitering, Motlop & Marchbank are being primed for Rd.3.

Hearing Walsh is very sore and recovery isn't great when he's asked to step it up. Starting to think Rd.3 might be wishful thinking...

Gut feel is all of Martin, Weitering, Motlop & Marchbank are being primed for Rd.3.

Hearing Walsh is very sore and recovery isn't great when he's asked to step it up. Starting to think Rd.3 might be wishful thinking...
The Club has said the next update on Walsh will be provided after the bye. That wasn’t reassuring of a round 3 return but an overly conservative approach being taken knowing a fixed return date isn’t possible. Hopefully by the time of the next update Walshy has clarity of a return round to work towards

I was under the impression the ACL cannot repair itself.

Edit: Meant to specify a full tear

I also had this belief but then it happened to my best mate. Did his ACL, had the surgery and then he did it again. Opted not to do the surgery again because he didn't really need to. It started feeling really good around 18 months later so he went in for scans and they'd found that it had repaired itself.

A mate of mine has no ACL. Did it yesrs ago. Didn't play footy for a while but eventually got back into it and is a running machine.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Any ITK's have an update on Walsh?
I spoke to someone over the weekend who claimed they personally know Walsh... Someone else has verified that they know him but I genuinely don't know if they actually do, nor do I know how much weight to give to what they told me so I want to make it clear that I genuinely don't know whether there's much in this.... Still, im passing it along... They told me that Walsh would miss a majority of the season. Back is apparently worse than first thought and may need surgery again.

Again, before people jump down my throat, I'm just passing on what I was told.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I spoke to someone over the weekend who claimed they personally know Walsh... Someone else has verified that they know him but I genuinely don't know if they actually do, nor do I know how much weight to give to what they told me so I want to make it clear that I genuinely don't know whether there's much in this.... Still, im passing it along... They told me that Walsh would miss a majority of the season. Back is apparently worse than first thought and may need surgery again.

Have said previously on this thread that, yes, surgery is likely an option that the club and Sam are considering. But it's a last (or close to) option. If the decision had already been made, he'd have gone under the knife already. Why wait?

I'd go back to what the club has already told us. That they're waiting till after the bye and re-assessing at that point. Maybe it'll be surgery and effectively season over, or maybe it won't.

Not jumping down your throat - I've certainly heard similar rumours. But as hard as it might be, perhaps we can just wait till after the bye, and see what the situation is then.

l am not sure that l would be posting this type of commentary unless it is absolutely certain, you mention the person claimed they knew Sam.
He was running at the club over the weekend and seemed to be progressing in the right direction.

I also had this belief but then it happened to my best mate. Did his ACL, had the surgery and then he did it again. Opted not to do the surgery again because he didn't really need to. It started feeling really good around 18 months later so he went in for scans and they'd found that it had repaired itself.
Not a doctor but I suspect there is a difference between an average person taking time to naturally allow a ruptured ligament to heal when compared to the needs of an athlete returning to the demands of professional sport.

if you're not sure yourself, why post this?

I don't understand why posters are being called out for posting stuff without being absolutely certain. Using that logic we wouldn't get any intel because no ITK can be absolutely certain of anything (unless they are getting info direct from the source which I imagine is incredibly rare).

If anything the posters have done the right thing by putting what they've heard in context. If the rumor was that Walsh is fine and playing round 3, everybody would be praising them.

I don't understand why posters are being called out for posting stuff without being absolutely certain. Using that logic we wouldn't get any intel because no ITK can be absolutely certain of anything (unless they are getting info direct from the source which I imagine is incredibly rare).

If anything the posters have done the right thing by putting what they've heard in context. If the rumor was that Walsh is fine and playing round 3, everybody would be praising them.
Based on the significance of the post, l would want to be pretty certain it was coming from a credible source, it mentions the person claims they know Walsh, again l question how much Sam would be telling people openly.

As mentioned we can all speculate but reality is he is on training program designed to ease him back, and we will only know once he steps up his training.

It would be nice if we knew whether this recurrence has led the club to be extra cautious, and just delaying his return or because the conservative management so far hasnt had the optimal results, which is leading to contemplation of more extensive surgery.
We havent been provided with that qualification and so speculation is occurring.
I dont see any downside to the club being upfront about the state of the injury one way or another

It would be nice if we knew whether this recurrence has led the club to be extra cautious, and just delaying his return or because the conservative management so far hasnt had the optimal results, which is leading to contemplation of more extensive surgery.
We havent been provided with that qualification and so speculation is occurring.
I dont see any downside to the club being upfront about the state of the injury one way or another
if the club gives an update and it mentions a time-frame, we'll be held to it, regardless of how it plays out, if the club gives an update and says, we're not sure, the usual suspects will melt down, if the club gives an update, regardless of what it contains, there will be some sort of outrage - I see zero benefit and have zero qualms on waiting to see vanilla out on the ground whenever it happens......

Long time reader and it's been a while!

If you read between the lines, I don't think Walsh's progress is going to plan.

- If Walsh was getting better, then Voss would have at least suggested something positive in his presser today. Instead, he diverted the question completely. Never heard of someone flat out refuse to give an update on an injury when everything is going to plan.

- They are waiting for the bye to pass on bad news to members as its less distracting for the club and gives some time for the dust to settle. Rightly or wrongly, I can see that thought process happening. It's not as if the club are always upfront and honest about injuries in a timely manner.

To argue my own point:

- I am reading way too much into the presser. Voss was genuine in his response.

- They still don't know what his timeframe is and have been told to keep their mouths shut as his progress is changing week by week.

- macky99 mentioned he was running at the club over the weekend. This could be true. That's a good sign.

My gut feel: They say he is out indefinitely but don't give a number of weeks, and just say he won't take part in the first part of the season (until they figure out if he needs another surgery behind closed doors).

Fingers crossed!

Long time reader and it's been a while!

If you read between the lines, I don't think Walsh's progress is going to plan.

- If Walsh was getting better, then Voss would have at least suggested something positive in his presser today. Instead, he diverted the question completely. Never heard of someone flat out refuse to give an update on an injury when everything is going to plan.

- They are waiting for the bye to pass on bad news to members as its less distracting for the club and gives some time for the dust to settle. Rightly or wrongly, I can see that thought process happening. It's not as if the club are always upfront and honest about injuries in a timely manner.

To argue my own point:

- I am reading way too much into the presser. Voss was genuine in his response.

- They still don't know what his timeframe is and have been told to keep their mouths shut as his progress is changing week by week.

- macky99 mentioned he was running at the club over the weekend. This could be true. That's a good sign.

My gut feel: They say he is out indefinitely but don't give a number of weeks, and just say he won't take part in the first part of the season (until they figure out if he needs another surgery behind closed doors).

Fingers crossed!
Gut feel is bad too but Diesel did say last week that he'd be back after the bye with Weiters and both tracking well. Would love to see him at training some time soon though, he's one of our most important players.

110% correct.

If the rumor was stated as a fact then people would have reason to be annoyed. However it was put into the appropriate context which is how all sensitive information should be treated.

How many times over the past 2 weeks did we get certain posters passing on information as if it was without a doubt a certifiable fact, only to get proven wrong a few days later on all accounts.

Negative rumors shouldn't be silenced if put into the correct context like this one has been.

Thanks for sharing and clarifying the source reg_lower91

Remove this Banner Ad

Back