Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Injury Update 23rd April …

Four Blues facing tests​

Player

Injury

Update

Dom AkueiConcussionProgressing through concussion protocols.
Availability: test. (Update: 23 April)
Matt CarrollGroinContinuing on his modified program.
Return to play will be further assessed in Round 7. (Update: 26 March)
Adam CerraHamstringAvailability: one week. (Update: 23 April)
David CuninghamCalfAiming to be test to play next week. (Update: 23 April)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Lachie FogartyWristCommenced running program.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 11. (Update: 16 April)
Caleb MarchbankConcussionProgressing through recovery.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 9. (Update: 16 April)
Jack MartinHamstringLow-grade hamstring last week. Will enter a conditioning block.
Availability: 5-6 weeks. (Update: 3 April)
Mitch McGovernHamstringAvailability: 1-2 weeks. (Update: 23 April)
Jesse MotlopHamstringSuffered a further hamstring injury in recent days.
Availability: 4-5 weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Adam SaadHamstringMedium-grade hamstring strain.
Availability: six weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)
Zac WilliamsAchilles sorenessReceived a knock to Achilles on Saturday and was subbed out of the game.
Jacob WeiteringCorkAvailability: test. (Update: 23 April)
Billy WilsonConcussionProgressing through concussion protocols.

Yes but it is training or is it the players, is it the surface or something else?

I don’t know. It needs to be addressed but I’m not blaming one person without evidence

I staunchly defended Russell but if you assess without any bias (not saying you are), we haven't had anything which resembles a clean injury lost since he has come to the club.

It's so bloody deflating that this could've been our year and now we're going to potentially about to go through a similar period to what we did in the middle of last year. Incredibly frustrating that we can't seem to keep our best players on the park.

I staunchly defended Russell but if you assess without any bias (not saying you are), we haven't had anything which resembles a clean injury lost since he has come to the club.

It's so bloody deflating that this could've been our year and now we're going to potentially about to go through a similar period to what we did in the middle of last year. Incredibly frustrating that we can't seem to keep our best players on the park.

100% agree. I don’t know the reason and want it fixed. BUT I won’t hang people without evidence

Yes but again where is your evidence that is the reason?

You make a lot of accusations but have NO evidence for any of it
Look at our injury list and in particular our soft tissue injuries all bar two have occurred at training. The evidence for me is the consistent injuries year after year. Ultimately the buck stops with the head of high performance.

1. He’s not the highest paid
2. We have the best CEO in the AFL who is all about standards. If Russell was the issue he’d be gone by now

We’ve had a plethora of bad backs, calves and hamstrings under his watch. It’s a load and management issue. We need a change, we can’t keep going on like this.

So NO evidence then
The common denominator is Russell. When he first came to the club it was under a different CEO, president and coach we have not seen any improvement since with a new administration. Pretty clear for me change is required. Our premiership window is now. I don't want the opportunity wasted on injuries year after year.

The common denominator is Russell. When he first came to the club it was under a different CEO, president and coach we have not seen any improvement since with a new administration. Pretty clear for me change is required. Our premiership window is now. I don't want the opportunity wasted on injuries year after year.
Russell has absolutely no control over people continually jinxing us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you know this as Fact?

All I know is a list in the peak of its powers with players in the sweet spot of their careers shouldn’t have this many soft tissue injuries year after year.

Look at every other top club they don’t go every year with 10 players on the injury list every week … and not just any players … players with 7 plus years of experience who should be in the peak of their careers and durable.

You can’t protect from impact injuries - broken bones, knees and shoulders etc but you shouldn’t be pulling hammies and calves with this regularity at this stage of their careers.

Let’s look at 2024 shall we.

Weitering - 10 weeks with a calf - 26 years old
Walsh - 7 weeks with further stress in his back - 23 years old
Saad - 6 weeks hammy - 30
Cerra - pulls hammies every 6-8 weeks - 24
Martin - Hammy - will miss half the year - 30
Cunningham - calf - 26
Corey Durdin - calf - 22
Motlop - hamstring - 21
McGovern - hamstring - 29
Marchbank - name your soft tissue injury - 27

That’s 10 top 25 players that I can think of off the top of my head that have had load related/soft tissue flair ups since the turn of the year and there’s probably more than I’ve missed (haven’t included the players like Sam Durdin, Matt Carrol, Cincotta who have had soft tissue injuries that aren’t best 22 options) 14 or more players with soft tissue injuries in a third of a year. 1/3 of the list! Yeah we’re industry leaders in performance I reckon

Common denominators are also club, players, coaches and surface.

Yet again you have NO evidence

Our fit "reserves":
Binns - yet to debut
O'Keefe - nowhere near AFL standard
Mirkov - nowhere near AFL standard
Monahan - nowhere near AFL standard
Moir - yet to debut
Cowan
Lemmey - nowhere near AFL standard
Young - ???
S Durdin - break glass in case of emergency
Cincotta

2 ruckmen nowhere near AFL standard
4 backmen, 3 of which are not much chop
1 midfielder yet to debut
2 forwards, 1 debutant, 1 playing the game for the first time

Diabolical.

I thought Mirkov was still rehabbing from his heart condition and therefore not available. Not that he’s a realistic option for selection anyway.

Strength and conditioning programs
Recruitment
Player commitment
Princes Park turf
Coaching/game plan/game day loads

Whatever it is it needs to be identified and changed immediately. Better yet look to improve it all and remove all doubt. It has gone on far too long, it arguably delayed the lists development and it is now impacting our list in supposed contention mode.

All I know is a list in the peak of its powers with players in the sweet spot of their careers shouldn’t have this many soft tissue injuries year after year.

Look at every other top club they don’t go every year with 10 players on the injury list every week … and not just any players … players with 7 plus years of experience who should be in the peak of their careers and durable.

You can’t protect from impact injuries - broken bones, knees and shoulders etc but you shouldn’t be pulling hammies and calves with this regularity at this stage of their careers.

Let’s look at 2024 shall we.

Weitering - 10 weeks with a calf - 26 years old
Walsh - 7 weeks with further stress in his back - 23 years old
Saad - 6 weeks hammy - 30
Cerra - pulls hammies every 6-8 weeks - 24
Martin - Hammy - will miss half the year - 30
Cunningham - calf - 26
Corey Durdin - calf - 22
Motlop - hamstring - 21
McGovern - hamstring - 29
Marchbank - name your soft tissue injury - 27

That’s 10 top 25 players that I can think of off the top of my head that have had load related/soft tissue flair ups since the turn of the year and there’s probably more than I’ve missed (haven’t included the players like Sam Durdin, Matt Carrol, Cincotta who have had soft tissue injuries that aren’t best 22 options) 14 or more players with soft tissue injuries in a third of a year. 1/3 of the list! Yeah we’re industry leaders in performance I reckon

Yet you blame one person without evidence

We all know the issues and want them addressed asap. But again I’m not hanging anyone without evidence or a statement from the club

If you don’t think Cook is reviewing and looking at this from every angle then you’re delusional

Remove this Banner Ad

Back