Bluemour Discussion Thread IX

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only thing I do know for sure it's going to be a very interesting trade/draft period for us.

I am still reeling over the '11 trade period.... Wtf were we thinking?

I am still reeling over the '11 trade period.... Wtf were we thinking?

Then backed it up in 2012.

Macca came out at the start of the period and claimed we have no salary cap room to do anything, which we all naturally came to the conclusion meant "Big fish, something brewing" only to finish up doing Pick 69 for Jordan Russell.

......P.S. We then passed on the pick!

I will have a stab at dissection.
Recruiting. The secret society of AFL. These recruitment guys play every card close to their chests. Getting info from SOS is like getting blood from a stone.
And yet their every move is known months in advance accoring to this. And what the AFL has planned also.
I think maybe the workmate is having a lend and has been reading bigfooty rumours. ;)
Nup on the last. We’ve been mates for 28 years and he’s a closet blues fan I reckon. I trust the convo happened, can’t and won’t speak of the officials creds, but to me, it seems legit info. Again, FWIW.

Nup on the last. We’ve been mates for 28 years and he’s a closet blues fan I reckon. I trust the convo happened, can’t and won’t speak of the officials creds, but to me, it seems legit info. Again, FWIW.
no one can be sure what will eventuate but still good to hear stories like this so cheers....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recruiting. The secret society of AFL. These recruitment guys play every card close to their chests. Getting info from SOS is like getting blood from a stone.
And yet their every move is known months in advance accoring to this. And what the AFL has planned also.
I think maybe the workmate is having a lend and has been reading bigfooty rumours. ;)

I have a family member who is a coach at one of the clubs. He tends to know exactly what their recruiting department is trying to do at any given time and a fair bit about the other clubs, particularly when it comes to trading....I'm not sure its correct to say that the info is held that tightly. An having trade irons in the fire necessary means that the club on the other end of the equation knows what is happening. Info gets out.

As to the accuracy of it, I don't think it's particularly novel to think we would be keen to get in high quality players in that 24-27 age group. In fact, it would be almost negligent of us not to explore those opportunities. Like anything, costs/benefit analysis required.

I’m sure getting info from SOS directly is how you’ve described but not certain the same can be said for others parties - in particular, player managers / agents; who all need to be privy to negotiation process.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am of the opposite view, because why would you want to leave a club that has just been premiers when you can win again and as we have seen with the Haws and Geel, players have taken pay cuts to keep the team intact and stay winning flags..........I think that GWS players are more likely to get tired of waiting for a flag to happen, and then just return home to play for a team in their home state and more likely for bigger $$$$$ I would rather that the Giants keep on bombing out in the finals and that these players become disillusioned with the clubs system and bugger off!!!
Agreed

Some players occasionally leave post-flag, but they're usually fringe players capitalising on the big win

I consider GWS winning the flag a bad prospect for clubs wanting to steal their star players - you'd want to lap it up over the summer with your mates and strut into the following season

Simpson/Daisy 2019

Even if they don't have the years they have had, it's fair reward for what they have done and for what they bring to the group as a whole.

Do we really need to reach for a Mcveigh, when we still have these guys for another year?

Simpson/Daisy 2019

With the way we're travelling at the moment, it's a no-brainer to retain anyone who can football to some degree, and if both Simmo and Thomas are happy to go again, then so be it. The latter has frustrated me at times this year, but one can't question his effort in recent weeks in particular. I think Daisy would be handy in a forward pocket in 2019, assuming our full complement of defenders are available.

The only risks would be them overstaying their time in the game (when the end comes, it can come quickly and brutally), and these chaps potentially keeping youngsters out of the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back