Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me. Always been a fan. ;)
Kennedy's a great Carlton story, similar to Jonesy. Talented, great attitude, despite prolonged time relegated to VFL level's before almost Christ-like resurrection's to senior football when given reasonable opportunities.
Kennedy and Jones similarities also relate to their respective age when their confidence and self belief was supported and rewarded.
But I'd still trade Kennedy for a good draft pick if the opportunity arose, purely because it might create an opening for a young, fast, dynamic half forward or wingman.

Do we class that move as a success? I think that really just prolonged the career of a very average player. It was good for the player but was it good for the club?
Lol wtf... Jones was a near AA level full back. That move was great for everyone.

Agree to disagree. It’s not necessarily 5-10m power in a straight line, it’s his quick feet/side stepping and ability to shrug through tackles in congestion. Finds gaps where there appears to be none.

Furthermore, IMHO, I just think he needs to believe he belongs at the top level. He has some brilliant traits: almost always keeps his feet, has lightning hands, makes good decisions (mainly with hands), when he goes in, he goes hard.

Barely ever given more than 50-60% game time when he gets a gig.

Because he doesn't have the tank to play more minutes without suffering defensive running

Kennedy's a great Carlton story, similar to Jonesy. Talented, great attitude, despite prolonged time relegated to VFL level's before almost Christ-like resurrection's to senior football when given reasonable opportunities.
Kennedy and Jones similarities also relate to their respective age when their confidence and self belief was supported and rewarded.
But I'd still trade Kennedy for a good draft pick if the opportunity arose, purely because it might create an opening for a young, fast, dynamic half forward or wingman.
A fairly contradictory post at first glance. You start by singing Kennedy's praises but finish by saying you would trade him in a heartbeat? With at least #10 & #28 in next month's draft don't we already have a chance to draft the " young, fast, dynamic half forward or wingman " you speak of? Personally, I think MK having his renaissance this year, has validated his 1st round pick status - if nothing else, and has cemented him as a very very valuable player for us moving forward. It would appear, on the face of it, that your main bone of contention with MK is his age - since you would seek to supplant him with a younger player.

Looks like we are going to have a go at bringing in McAsey

"We certainly expect those boys (McAsey and Sholl) to be at the football club next year," Reid said.“

Discussions with a Victorian club is one thing but if Adelaide don’t want to trade him, he isn’t going anywhere. He’s most likely just visiting family in Melbourne, as he would do every off-season.

You are not!

Its Me Yes GIF by Murdoch Mysteries
Am so.

"We certainly expect those boys (McAsey and Sholl) to be at the football club next year," Reid said.“

Discussions with a Victorian club is one thing but if Adelaide don’t want to trade him, he isn’t going anywhere. He’s most likely just visiting family in Melbourne, as he would do every off-season.
If you re-read this looks to indicate that his meeting is with a club that is not carlton (,original tals with carlton Moe meeting with a rival club,).

Poorly written though so who would know.

A fairly contradictory post at first glance. You start by singing Kennedy's praises but finish by saying you would trade him in a heartbeat? With at least #10 & #28 in next month's draft don't we already have a chance to draft the " young, fast, dynamic half forward or wingman " you speak of? Personally, I think MK having his renaissance this year, has validated his 1st round pick status - if nothing else, and has cemented him as a very very valuable player for us moving forward. It would appear, on the face of it, that your main bone of contention with MK is his age - since you would seek to supplant him with a younger player.
My willingness to trade Kennedy(and it won't happen because of his recent contract extension) is more about him being a good enough player to attract a high draft pick, than criticising him.
Another top 10-15 pick this year or next and more salary cap freedom at the expense of losing a good player in an area of excess(big inside mids) wouldn't harm team balance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My willingness to trade Kennedy(and it won't happen because of his recent contract extension) is more about him being a good enough player to attract a high draft pick, than criticising him.
Another top 10-15 pick this year or next and more salary cap freedom at the expense of losing a good player in an area of excess(big inside mids) wouldn't harm team balance.
Yep the old trade a good player so that we can draft another and hope that in three years he might approach the level of the one that we traded argument.

A.k.a. a short cut to disaster list management wise. Cue Rocky and Bullwinkle on screen to say "that trick never works,".

Actually I get where you're coming from even though, as I stated before, I'm Kennedy's biggest fan.

If we don't trade either Dow or Setterfield he may well be one player who we have reasonable backup for eg. we were within a whisker of beating both Melbourne and Collingwood without him and another 2 of our 5 preferred mids. And he's one of the few we have some coverage for that may return us a first round pick.

But I do know that when he was mooted for trade a couple of years ago that he wasn't at all keen on going to a third club and his preference then, if delisted, was to return home, work in the family businesses and return to local footy. Don't know if that would still be the case but it definitely was at that time.

Actually I get where you're coming from even though, as I stated before, I'm Kennedy's biggest fan.

If we don't trade either Dow or Setterfield he may well be one player who we have reasonable backup for eg. we were within a whisker of beating both Melbourne and Collingwood without him and another 2 of our 5 preferred mids. And he's one of the few we have some coverage for that may return us a first round pick.

But I do know that when he was mooted for trade a couple of years ago that he wasn't at all keen on going to a third club and his preference then, if delisted, was to return home, work in the family businesses and return to local footy. Don't know if that would still be the case but it definitely was at that time.
The point I was trying to make, which seems to fly over most peoples heads(not yours) is who could we possibly trade that has some value to other's(not Dow and Setters obviously) without leaving a gaping hole in the side?
Maybe a 3rd tall/ medium defender?

Last edited:

You're right, but what else is he gonna say anyway? Will be interesting to see if things develop. There's a little smoke there.

Personally I think we should have a go at bringing in both these players. Clearly we have identified them as potential and been in their ears so we should make a decent effort to bring them in.

You're right, but what else is he gonna say anyway? Will be interesting to see if things develop. There's a little smoke there.

Personally I think we should have a go at bringing in both these players. Clearly we have identified them as potential and been in their ears so we should make a decent effort to bring them in.

It certainly wouldn’t be the worst move in the world. Maybe a change of atmosphere is what he needs and the cost would be fairly low. Decent upside too.

It certainly wouldn’t be the worst move in the world. Maybe a change of atmosphere is what he needs and the cost would be fairly low. Decent upside too.
I don't think Scholl happens as his contract is a couple of years, but could see McAsey happening for a future second with a future third coming back.
I don't think that's what we should pay based on output but could see how the Crows would argue that he's only 3 years in the system.

I don't think Scholl happens as his contract is a couple of years, but could see McAsey happening for a future second with a future third coming back.
I don't think that's what we should pay based on output but could see how the Crows would argue that he's only 3 years in the system.
True, but he hasn`t played for two of those three years, so I don`t think that argument would carry much weight as their coach doesn`t seem too keen on him exactly.....

No way we should be thinking about trading Kennedy.

I like the way Kennedy plays...solid body, strong overhead and very good penetrating and accurate kicking on both sides. The one and only concern I have is his lack of burst speed and hence his ability to run away with ball in hand to take advantage of his delivery into f50.

Ideally he can work on improving his burst speed.

Last edited:
True, but he hasn`t played for two of those three years, so I don`t think that argument would carry much weight as their coach doesn`t seem too keen on him exactly.....
Also true. Plus the supporters don't rate him either. But we need another developing KPP and can give him a little time.
Can definitely see a good chance of this happening.
Interesting times.

Ignoring the bit where he’s a player we’d like to have on our list and playing in the 22, there’s two other points to consider:

1. We only re-signed him recently so we’re not going to trade him now.

2. If a club wants him - and he wants to leave - would they not wait until he’s out of contract and get him for free? Because he was previously delisted by us when he moved to the rookie list he’s an unrestricted free agent for life (when not contracted). That probably diminishes his trade value a bit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back