Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't see the VFL so can only accept that he played some in the forwards but I'm tipping they were only periods, I'd be surprised if he played predominately as a forward in any game. Edit: Although I did notice he kicked 15 goals from 16 games which gives him a goal average better than any of our small AFL forwards.

I didn't even address your query on regretted trades as I'm fully aware that there have been none since 2015 other than, maybe, Touey.

I don't see this, however as any kind of badge of honour. Talking about the draft only, in the first 5 years of our rebuild we drafted 23 players. Of that 23 we have moved on 11 including Stocker who could well be the first one we're forced to regret. SPS is the only one of those 11 that we got anything at all for and whilst we turned it in to Young it still was a packet of crisps.

I'm not sure that is something to be super proud of, in fact, it indicates there was a lot of very bad draft choices in that time. I'd say that's closer to bad drafting than good list management, considering we still have 12 players drafted between 2015 and 2019 and are still yet to play finals 7 years later.

I'm not suggesting that it is something to be proud of.

It is something, however, that players and their agents do pay attention to.

It's not just staying to play with your mates as some have put it.

It's a fact that in the overwhelming majority of cases thar if you get traded or delisted from Carlton that the likelihood of success is much smaller than had both sides perservered.

However, I will suggest that it's become quite clear from the outside looking in that the club hasn't shown Dow the type of effort for him to believe that they will help him turn the corner as they have others. It's understandable as to why. One can only hope that he sees it. Either way, I'd wish him well whether he stays or goes.
Good discussion on Casboult and Tuohy

You're right. These are the two case examples that stand out over the past decade.

Both wildly different cases than Dow. We hedged our bets on injury prone players in the case of Cas and came up short. As for Tuohy, sadly our only OOC player at the time with any currency. I understand the reason why he was traded even if it hasn't quite worked out the way we had hoped (GWS acquisitions being subpar or injury riddled).

Defensively?

Defensively and endurance are the areas he should have Kennedy covered quite easily.

Kennedy has much greater overall impact though.

Kennedy scrubbed up well and had very good company in the awards last night - I noticed :cool:

Despite his good looks and excellent choice in female company - I just don't understand how such a plodder is rated a top10 player at Carlton tbh- robbing more talented players like Dow and Setterfield of valuable developmental game time...maybe its time to reconsider the coaching group and or selection policy - we need to focus on pumping more games into players with high ceilings like Dow and Setterfield - cant afford to lose another SPS player with so much potential that needed more time and to be played in his correct position...

Kennedy scrubbed up well and had very good company in the awards last night - I noticed :cool:

Despite his good looks and excellent choice in female company - I just don't understand how such a plodder is rated a top10 player at Carlton tbh- robbing more talented players like Dow and Setterfield of valuable developmental game time...maybe its time to reconsider the coaching group and or selection policy - we need to focus on pumping more games into players with high ceilings like Dow and Setterfield - cant afford to lose another SPS player with so much potential that needed more time and to be played in his correct position...
What?

Not sure I could disagree with this more.

Kennedy has earned his spot and had a terrific season.

If he plays ahead of more talented team mates who haven’t earned the right to replace him, so be it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure I could disagree with this more.

Kennedy has earned his spot and had a terrific season.

If he plays ahead of more talented team mates who haven’t earned the right to replace him, so be it.
Oh Come on Jeremias !!!
listen jurassic park GIF by Spotify

People keep talking up Dow's burst, think it has become a complete fallacy
Agree to disagree. It’s not necessarily 5-10m power in a straight line, it’s his quick feet/side stepping and ability to shrug through tackles in congestion. Finds gaps where there appears to be none.

Furthermore, IMHO, I just think he needs to believe he belongs at the top level. He has some brilliant traits: almost always keeps his feet, has lightning hands, makes good decisions (mainly with hands), when he goes in, he goes hard.

Barely ever given more than 50-60% game time when he gets a gig.

Last edited:
Who would have thunk Mathew Kennedy was a good selection for Carlton before late 2022?
It's strange how some player's can suddenly improve when they reach 24/25 years of age and are given some support and deserved opportunities.
A few on here always liked what he had to offer mate...he is just fit enough to show it for longer now that he got over his injuries and the previous coaching regime(s)

Who would have thunk Mathew Kennedy was a good selection for Carlton before late 2022?
It's strange how some player's can suddenly improve when they reach 24/25 years of age and are given some support and deserved opportunities.
I thought he looked unbelievable in his first 10 minutes of his first game vs Richmond. Lost some faith over the years under Bolton and Teague but this year he restored it.

A few on here always liked what he had to offer mate...he is just fit enough to show it for longer now that he got over his injuries and the previous coaching regime(s)
Good on him for finally breaking through after 5 years on our list and another 2 years with GWS.
But very few of us had the visionary capacities to foresee this.
It just proves that players with some ability and the right attitude can succeed in top level sport.(but it needs to be recognised and supported by their environment)

Plenty - his strengths & weaknesses have remained the same throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back