Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Not having a go at you, but comments by who? Not great in what way?

Comments from behind the scenes and the odd veiled media whisper. They say it was not great the way the questions where structured up and also not great in depth of long term pathways to fix the issues.

Comments from behind the scenes and the odd veiled media whisper. They say it was not great the way the questions where structured up and also not great in depth of long term pathways to fix the issues.
I guess that could be true but also maybe from people who don’t like the questions being asked of them. It’s a normal response from people having their work and ability questioned.

Even if true it doesn’t stop the club from approaching others for the same purpose.

I think if it’s handled respectfully then why wait?

We really don’t know whether Adelaide implemented all the recommendations and/or if it did help. Maybe they’d be even worse without it.

Why charge full steam ahead when it looks like the already have an idea of what needs doing. When a player leaves and one of his biggest issues is a disjoint in the playing list then you have an idea about what you need to do. You do not need someone from outside to tell you that. An external review will not give them anything they can do as far as the coach goes nor the fitness department as it has all been over hauled in the last 2 years. It could throw up questions on Dodoro but there is nothing that can be done on his position until after the draft and trading anyway.
The fact they are going / and have invested in leadership programs for the coaches and players says they have a handle on the playing group issues.

I guess that could be true but also maybe from people who don’t like the questions being asked of them. It’s a normal response from people having their work and ability questioned.

Even if true it doesn’t stop the club from approaching others for the same purpose.

Well take it or leave it. Would not have raised it if I though it was not worthy of comment.

Why charge full steam ahead when it looks like the already have an idea of what needs doing. When a player leaves and one of his biggest issues is a disjoint in the playing list then you have an idea about what you need to do. You do not need someone from outside to tell you that. An external review will not give them anything they can do as far as the coach goes nor the fitness department as it has all been over hauled in the last 2 years. It could throw up questions on Dodoro but there is nothing that can be done on his position until after the draft and trading anyway.
The fact they are going / and have invested in leadership programs for the coaches and players says they have a handle on the playing group issues.
A review should then confirm we’re on the right path then shouldn’t it?

We don’t have to implement everything in a review if we’re dead against it, but they might raise points or questions we haven’t thought of.

Think the problem with coming out and validating every media rumour is it can back you into a corner

He comes out and says Merrett is staying, what if next week Collingwood offer 2 first rounders and a player?

Does the club risk Brasher looking a liar by taking a great deal? Why even have this enter the scenario?

Be like countries who don't negotiate with terrorists... Make it policy, we don't respond to media rumours.

Think the problem with coming out and validating every media rumour is it can back you into a corner

He comes out and says Merrett is staying, what if next week Collingwood offer 2 first rounders and a player?

Does the club risk Brasher looking a liar by taking a great deal? Why even have this enter the scenario?

Be like countries who don't negotiate with terrorists... Make it policy, we don't respond to media rumours.
Things change, and if some ridiculous offer came in and that was best for the club I'd wear it. So long as what he says is true to the best of his knowledge at the time he said it, that's fine by me.

What is more interesting is if a ridiculous rumour goes around and he doesn't say anything about it, thereby implying that it's true.

I think that can be avoided though if he keeps his videos or letters or whatever to about once a month or so, when there's something worth saying at club land.

The first one was to introduce himself in September, and the second was right after a couple of significant meetings in October, one being the first board meeting with Sheedy and the other being a round table with Campbell, Richardson, Rutten, Dodoro.

If the next one is to reflect on the review he's currently doing, it should come right after the trade period is concluded and can therefore also farewell/welcome players. There shouldn't be any need for the president to respond to rumours between now and then, if anything of significance happens Richardson or Dodoro to speak to it, depending on what it is.

I’m not talking about professional consulting companies who basically run through a cookie cutter checklist without using their brains like telemarketers reading scripts. I don’t want them either.

I want a couple of knowledgeable external football people who know what successful setups look like and have held senior positions. Dunstall is someone I respect. Roos could be good and maybe someone from a list management and recruiting background.

Let them go through every area of the club they want to, ask any questions and interview anyone. Then listen to what they recommend.
Not saying we shouldn't do that, but we've made an effort to bring in outside opinions already, and rather than put them in charge of a review we put them in charge of the football department, so we probably need to let them pull it up by the roots and replant it before putting it up for an external review.

The main difference between Brasher doing a review and an independent/external review is whether the workforce is willing to speak plainly to Brasher (Sheedy/Wellman/Madden) about what is going on, but I get the impression that people have been pretty happy to talk to him so far so that doesn't look like being an issue. That and he's not going to end up with a 20 page document full of anonymous opinions.

Not saying we shouldn't do that, but we've made an effort to bring in outside opinions already, and rather than put them in charge of a review we put them in charge of the football department, so we probably need to let them pull it up by the roots and replant it before putting it up for an external review.

The main difference between Brasher doing a review and an independent/external review is whether the workforce is willing to speak plainly to Brasher (Sheedy/Wellman/Madden) about what is going on, but I get the impression that people have been pretty happy to talk to him so far so that doesn't look like being an issue. That and he's not going to end up with a 20 page document full of anonymous opinions.
The only issue I have with that is that we’ve effectively done the same thing every few years with new people coming into football department jobs, Paul Little, Lindsay Tanner.

This time does have a different feel and of course I hope it works but not convinced. I’m also aware that a review may not fix things either but not a fan of doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

There's also an opportunity with clubs cutting jobs from football departments accross the board. Meaning there's current AFL knowledge available everywhere. It wouldn't need to be a big deal either. Just focus on areas we know we want to improve immediately and make sure we are applying the resources we have as well as possible. If done the right way it could be a great learning exersize and bring a lot of new energy into the place.

Set some targets/goals and review again at the end of 2021. Having someone like Ross alongside Brasher and Wellman/Sheedy/Madden would bring some insight for their interview processes
as a minimum.

Why not look at the best recent Intel? Is Kevin from marketing going to know what Freo's analytics and recruiting team were up to in 2019? Or Madden? The same people talking to the same people doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Some areas change very quickly as well - are we as fit as Richmond or Port yet? Our guys are extremely well versed in all things Essendon. Is that what we need now?

Last edited:
The only issue I have with that is that we’ve effectively done the same thing every few years with new people coming into football department jobs, Paul Little, Lindsay Tanner.

This time does have a different feel and of course I hope it works but not convinced. I’m also aware that a review may not fix things either but not a fan of doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.
Outside opinions from those with experience running successful clubs though? Worsfold and Thompson you could make an argument for, the rest of them in the last decade either came from uninspiring clubs or were promoted internally. Rob Kerr came from the AFLPA...

Brasher himself is not a great deal different from Little and Tanner as far as long-time fans and business people doing governance things, I wouldn't call them outside opinions. But I don't think being an outsider is mandatory for interviewing people and collating data, so long as people are willing to talk freely and you can compartmentalise your feelings and look at the data objectively.

The bit that feels different about him is that he doesn't have to deal with ASADA hearings, appeals, suspensions, reintegrating players, etc. All of that has to be behind us now, so aside from COVID finances the only thing to worry about is the actual business of being a football club, which he seems to be wholeheartedly committed to.

Richardson and Caracella are the opinions I'd be particularly interested in, along with Rutten. I'm not saying more outside opinions wouldn't be useful mind you, but they're the ones I had in mind. Along with Rutten we've imported a whole team of outside opinions with experience running a successful club, at some point you kind of need to make sure that the supports are in place, then get out of the way and trust them to do the job they were brought here to do. They should be able to tell you what supports they need, so that part shouldn't be difficult.

There's also an opportunity with clubs cutting jobs from football departments accross the board. Meaning there's current AFL knowledge available everywhere. It wouldn't need to be a big deal either. Just focus on areas we know we want to improve immediately and make sure we are applying the resources we have as well as possible. If done the right way it could be a great learning exersize and bring a lot of new energy into the place.

Set some targets/goals and review again at the end of 2021. Having someone like Ross alongside Brasher and Wellman/Sheedy/Madden would bring some insight for their interview processes
as a minimum.

Why not look at the best recent Intel? Is Kevin from marketing going to know what Freo's analytics and recruiting team were up to in 2019? Or Madden? The same people talking to the same people doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Some areas change very quickly as well - are we as fit as Richmond or Port yet? Our guys are extremely well versed in all things Essendon. Is that what we need now?
Oh that's the other thing, aren't we restructuring the coaches box or something atm? Kelly has gone to stoppages, so we have a defence post open with Harvey moved off-field. I haven't heard if Dan Jordan is continuing after being thrown into the forwards role at the last second after Skipworth skipped out on the first day of pre-season.

And then we have Leigh Tudor and Cam Roberts that were VFL line coaches this year (I think? Development coaches anyway). Assuming they haven't been let go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not talking about professional consulting companies who basically run through a cookie cutter checklist without using their brains like telemarketers reading scripts. I don’t want them either.

I want a couple of knowledgeable external football people who know what successful setups look like and have held senior positions. Dunstall is someone I respect. Roos could be good and maybe someone from a list management and recruiting background.

Let them go through every area of the club they want to, ask any questions and interview anyone. Then listen to what they recommend.

Reckon getting in somebody externally would suggest we have no idea what the issues are. I’m not sure that’s the case tbh. We have senior football people who’ve been at other successful clubs (yeah, mostly Richmond lol), and from what we’ve already heard from Brasher I reckon they’re getting a pretty good idea of what’s wrong. Brasher immediately spoke of having a totally team-focused playing group, a game plan that can win finals and flags instead of finishing 8th, and a recruiting team that works closely with the coaches.

I mean you’d hope they already knew that anyway, but it sounds like they’re across it anyway. Saad leaving because he doesn’t want to play a defensive role backs that up too.

wasn’t he justthe finance guy on the board during the “unpleasantness” and he was tasked with making sure we didn’t go under? he did that job fairly well.

i get the impression now he’s the man and is taking full responsibility.

Reckon getting in somebody externally would suggest we have no idea what the issues are. I’m not sure that’s the case tbh. We have senior football people who’ve been at other successful clubs (yeah, mostly Richmond lol), and from what we’ve already heard from Brasher I reckon they’re getting a pretty good idea of what’s wrong. Brasher immediately spoke of having a totally team-focused playing group, a game plan that can win finals and flags instead of finishing 8th, and a recruiting team that works closely with the coaches.

I mean you’d hope they already knew that anyway, but it sounds like they’re across it anyway. Saad leaving because he doesn’t want to play a defensive role backs that up too.
Outside opinions from those with experience running successful clubs though? Worsfold and Thompson you could make an argument for, the rest of them in the last decade either came from uninspiring clubs or were promoted internally. Rob Kerr came from the AFLPA...

Brasher himself is not a great deal different from Little and Tanner as far as long-time fans and business people doing governance things, I wouldn't call them outside opinions. But I don't think being an outsider is mandatory for interviewing people and collating data, so long as people are willing to talk freely and you can compartmentalise your feelings and look at the data objectively.

The bit that feels different about him is that he doesn't have to deal with ASADA hearings, appeals, suspensions, reintegrating players, etc. All of that has to be behind us now, so aside from COVID finances the only thing to worry about is the actual business of being a football club, which he seems to be wholeheartedly committed to.

Richardson and Caracella are the opinions I'd be particularly interested in, along with Rutten. I'm not saying more outside opinions wouldn't be useful mind you, but they're the ones I had in mind. Along with Rutten we've imported a whole team of outside opinions with experience running a successful club, at some point you kind of need to make sure that the supports are in place, then get out of the way and trust them to do the job they were brought here to do. They should be able to tell you what supports they need, so that part shouldn't be difficult.
I guess my point with all of this is not disregard the opinions we have in-house in favour of external people, but add to the perspective pool to allow for better decisions to be made now rather than in a year or two.

If I was running operations then reviews wouldn’t be considered only necessary when things were going wrong, they would be a regular tool for checks and identification of improvement. They would become part of the culture rather than something to be concerned about or feared. The best reviews are a combination of in-house and external to provide full perspective. Both are given equal voice in their feedback.

It’s great to feel that maybe we’ve identified the problems, but why not get all the perspective we can now?

CBombers17 I got an email this morning and just checked it so am assuming it went out to everyone.

The current terms of two Essendon Football Club (EFC) Directors, Kevin Sheedy and Sean Wellman, will come to an end at the conclusion of the Club’s Annual General Meeting on Tuesday 15 December 2020. As a result, there will be two vacancies on the Club Board that may be filled by election.

Both Mr Sheedy and Mr Wellman will be standing for re-election and nominations for other candidates remain open until Tuesday 10 November 2020.

Further information about the nomination process is available on the EFC website.

Michael Abrahams
Company Secretary

CBombers17 I got an email this morning and just checked it so am assuming it went out to everyone.

The current terms of two Essendon Football Club (EFC) Directors, Kevin Sheedy and Sean Wellman, will come to an end at the conclusion of the Club’s Annual General Meeting on Tuesday 15 December 2020. As a result, there will be two vacancies on the Club Board that may be filled by election.

Both Mr Sheedy and Mr Wellman will be standing for re-election and nominations for other candidates remain open until Tuesday 10 November 2020.

Further information about the nomination process is available on the EFC website.

Michael Abrahams
Company Secretary
Crazy times. So board challenge is on? Has anyone heard any whispers of a spilt?

Crazy times. So board challenge is on? Has anyone heard any whispers of a spilt?
Don’t read too much into it. They said when Sheedy was appointed that he was replacing Lio in a casual vacancy, she would’ve been up for election anyway. And Wellman is also due for re-election after replacing Paul Cousins at the same time that Lio was re-elected.

They’ve made changes to the constitution that allows them to appoint more people to the board (rather than be elected) and then the ones that play well with the voting members get moved into the elected seats so as to avoid randoms getting elected on 200 votes from bomber blitz.

Don’t read too much into it. They said when Sheedy was appointed that he was replacing Lio in a casual vacancy, she would’ve been up for election anyway. And Wellman is also due for re-election after replacing Paul Cousins at the same time that Lio was re-elected.

They’ve made changes to the constitution that allows them to appoint more people to the board (rather than be elected) and then the ones that play well with the voting members get moved into the elected seats so as to avoid randoms getting elected on 200 votes from bomber blitz.
Ah yes. They are both standing for re-election. Safe seats indeed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back