News Brad Crouch decision (ADL chickenshit, decline to match, receive 23)

Remove this Banner Ad

Who were they bidding against? Certainly wasn't us.
On the open market this was what is expected to happen to bring FA players to your club but his drug indiscretion certainly didn't help and us not willing to offer him 5 years known publicly, hence the Saints use this with an clause for the 5th year to their advantage as B.Crouch wasn't after more money per year but a longer contract.

On the open market this was what is expected to happen to bring FA players to your club but his drug indiscretion certainly didn't help and us not willing to offer him 5 years known publicly, hence the Saints use this with an clause for the 5th year to their advantage as B.Crouch wasn't after more money per year but a longer contract.

Clubs don't offer them that extra money just because of some gentlemans agreement.

They do it to lure them out of a club where they are currently happy and that wants them. Neither was the case with Brad.

Clubs don't offer them that extra money just because of some gentlemans agreement.

They do it to lure them out of a club where they are currently happy and that wants them. Neither was the case with Brad.
What gentleman's agreement? Clubs offer more money to FA players so their current club don't match (i.e. Geelong tried this with Cameron but GWS matched) but this wasn't the case with Brad because he wasn't after more money per year but the length of the contract and the Saints use this to their advantage with their 5th year clause.

What gentleman's agreement? Clubs offer more money to FA players so their current club don't match (i.e. Geelong tried this with Cameron but GWS matched) but this wasn't the case with Brad because he wasn't after more money per year but the length of the contract and the Saints use this to their advantage with their 5th year clause.

It wasn't the case with Brad because we weren't going to sign him at all.

Not sure about that.

I think we saw the deals clubs were offering to genuine star players and assumed Brad was in that category

We thought "yep, Brad Crouch, elite midfielder, easy $850k deals"

We missed the bit where Brad isn't an elite midfielder
Either/or, our Footy Manager misread the market.

Hopefully he has learnt.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Admire them?

All they did was play it compeletely straightforward.

Lets not pretend they were playing 8D chess with us here.

They knew we didn't want Brad, they knew he had little real interest from other clubs, they paid what they had to in order to get him to sign and not a cent more.

Exactly. To be fair it was hard not to telegraph our intentions. We were smack bang in the middle of a rebuild and Brad was out of contract. Clubs aren't going push a player half out the door and bring them back in again. We knew there was a strong possibility that the best compensation we would get is end of the first round and were content with that.

Admire them?

All they did was play it compeletely straightforward.

Lets not pretend they were playing 8D chess with us here.

They knew we didn't want Brad, they knew he had little real interest from other clubs, they paid what they had to in order to get him to sign and not a cent more.

it’s not just you, but I wonder where the collective amnesia came from
of them structuring his contract in such a way to * us?

it’s like it doesn’t fit a narrative

of them structuring his contract in such a way to fu** us?

Is there any actual evidence they structured the contract just to * us?

Would YOU have offered Brad a full 5 year contract given his history? Making the 5th year a trigger is just sensible.

I wouldn't be surprised to see B Crouch dropped from St Kilda's team soon. They will eventually realise they were better before he joined them, despite what his stats look like.
That snippet of footage from the documentary was quite illuminating.

He was echoing Camporeale IMHO, who had been steering our midfield for however long. Clearly had the philosophy that winning the contest and winning the footy was the #1 priority. Everything else was a distant second.

If the opposition broke away from a clearance cleanly some coaches would look at our defensive mechanisms - were we quick to get goal side, did we contain the spread, pressure the ball carrier, force a hurried kick, stick the tackle etc.

Campo however would look at the initial contest - where the ball was won or lost. If we'd won it then none of that defensive stuff would matter. Why didn't we win it, fix that.

His disciples - S Thompson, Dangerfield, Crouch, Crouch in particular all played this way. Dangerfield vs Burgoyne 2012 prelim key centre clearance at the death is a prime example.

I'm sure Camporeale was raised on this mindset. There's a boldness to it - and winning the ball does indeed need to be #1. But it can't be daylight plus tax to the next priority, especially with 6-6-6. No midfield wins every single clearance.

of them structuring his contract in such a way to fu** us?

I thought it was structured exactly how you'd give someone with his injury history who'd publicly stated the need for a long contract. 3 or 4 years with triggers. I'd have thought that's what we'd have had on the table earlier in the year. We could have matched it and he'd have had the choice to play under it or seek a trade. Saints didn't screw us. we wouldn't have matched 3 x $500k flat.

That snippet of footage from the documentary was quite illuminating.

He was echoing Camporeale IMHO, who had been steering our midfield for however long. Clearly had the philosophy that winning the contest and winning the footy was the #1 priority. Everything else was a distant second.

If the opposition broke away from a clearance cleanly some coaches would look at our defensive mechanisms - were we quick to get goal side, did we contain the spread, pressure the ball carrier, force a hurried kick, stick the tackle etc.

Campo however would look at the initial contest - where the ball was won or lost. If we'd won it then none of that defensive stuff would matter. Why didn't we win it, fix that.

His disciples - S Thompson, Dangerfield, Crouch, Crouch in particular all played this way. Dangerfield vs Burgoyne 2012 prelim key centre clearance at the death is a prime example.

I'm sure Camporeale was raised on this mindset. There's a boldness to it - and winning the ball does indeed need to be #1. But it can't be daylight plus tax to the next priority, especially with 6-6-6. No midfield wins every single clearance.

The sad thing is that both Crouch brothers actually had quite a good defensive side to their game in their early days. They used to really lay some absolute crunching tackles until Campo beat that out of their game.

He got rid of not just their defensive mindset but also their physical aggression and I think that was a huge disservice to both of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back