Review Brad Crouch and others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad has bought the get ball & handball it backwards first option with him, and it brings all hawks mids onside...
Joe the goose and Brad Crouch don't like each other!

Much of the difference between now and earlier in the year was that we had Hampton who has some size and pace and tackles well, Knight who's also got some toe and can tackle and they were added to the mix. We've now elected to run with a slow, plodding forward line (Otten, Beech, Tex, JJ and Lynch would be the slowest of any AFL team), more outside players such as Milera, Atkins &co who don't get the hard ball.

You can't afford to be slow these days. It's one of the most important physical attributes to have. You would have to have some pretty special skills in other areas if you didn't have any speed. That's why I think Otten will always struggle.

Love the kid and have always backed him but since his inclusion our midfield dynamic has died in the proverbial and noone on our coaching panel has any idea how to fix this.

We cant go in with Crouch x 2.

Howell me down as I dont oftwn start threads but this to me is the biggest change up from the first 6 rounds.
This thread is going to come back and haunt u...

Wasn't meaning to be rude just emotional and half cut struggling to come to terms with the false hope :-(

All good. Shouldn't have been so precious myself. Was fully cut by this stage barely remember starting this thread.

This thread is going to come back and haunt u...

No not at all because it seems 90% of the posters in this thread have severe comprehension problems(could be the spelling I admit...)

For the last time, please read what I have said and not what you think Im saying.

1)I rate Brouch as high as anyone on this board.

2) I am not blaming or singling out Brads performance as being the sole reason we lost this one game.

3) Im commenting on the way our midfield has run since Brads inclusion and how it has altered our gameplan especially around stoppages. Disagree with that point if you like, but realise that that is the only point Im making. Im not looking or talking about Brads performances in isolation.

4) Brad could be BOG and rack up 40 posessions a game and it wouldnt change my opinion that our midfield dynamic is out of wack, just as it didnt when people would site a Thompsons stats or performance rating in the last 3 years of his AFL career.

CMon people. Argue the point. Make the case that our midfield/gameplan as a whole have functioned better since Brads inclusion and stop telling me that Brad was in our Bests last night or that others arent playing as well as him and should therefore go before him.

2) I am not blaming or singling out Brads performance as being the sole reason we lost this one game.
You're not??

See Thread Header.....
Brad Crouch has got to go.

Our midfield was not the problem last night FFS

Won Clearances Count 40 -35
Won Contested Ball Count 152 - 148
Won Tackle Count 75 - 68
Won I50 Count 56 - 44
Lost I50 Marks 8 - 12

Forwards and/or Forward Structure clearly the problem.

You're not??

See Thread Header.....

Won Tackle Count 75 - 68
Won I50 Count 56 - 44
Lost I50 Marks 8 - 12

Inside 50 entries aren't worth 1 each though. Some are worthless, some are invaluable.

Not looking at this game in isolation as stated in the O.P.

You think our midfield works better since hes been in?

You havent noticed a difference in our stoppagea or mifield running patterns since his inclusion?
I've re-watched a couple of early season games.

Damn! Curtly Hampton was far more important in our midfield than anyone here gave him credit for. He didn't amass the disposals, but his movement through traffic was excellent and had an impact on our forward delivery. That's something that's changed in our running patterns.

Nah Brad has been progressing well this year. Did Douglas tag himself last night? Very poor.
Sloaney can't handle a tag, we desperately need another gun mid. This will elevate the efficacy of Matt and Brad and help release Sloane, the domino effect will be massive. At current we are screwed, we cannot win it with the midfield cattle we have on the list, we just can't.
In terms of our forward set-up, last night was another prime example of us not being able to win 50/50 contests down the line without someone like McGovern. Its brainless to play Otten in our set-up. Knight, Wigg, Gallucci, Poholke, Jarman anyone smaller and quicker than him would have been a better option. Also, we have mental demons from the Roos game, first 6 rounds we tried to get the ball forward of the contest but lately its just been backwards, backwards, backwards, and the opposition are predicting it, pushing us back, and then forcing a turnover 50 m back from where the contest started. We also are not getting numbers to contests up the ground as we used to, must be a lot of blokes jogging 30 m behind their man. We looked drained, and not the flairy, quick of body and mind team that fronted up earlier in the season. Is that training loads or is it false arrogance that has now been turned upside down into mental demons?
Also, the swarm of unaccountable men in their forward 50 at times last night was downright disgraceful, this directly links to my above point. Are we knackered and can't get there or are we front running, arrogant and soft?

You're not??

See Thread Header.....

Won Tackle Count 75 - 68
Won I50 Count 56 - 44
Lost I50 Marks 8 - 12

No, Im not. If people stop reading at the thread
title thats is their problem.

If people think that all it takes to be a good AFL team is good looking numbers on a stats sheet each week that is their problem also.

Yeas our forward line is out of wack also but this has been discussed to death already.
Our forwards have good numbers also and I think this is the sole justification to the continual selection of such a top heavy and unbalanced forward 6. I.e cant drop Otto because he is playing well and Cant drop JJ because he is JJ and scores. Doesnt matter that the best we have functioned as a whole this season was when we went in with a 2 tall structure. Similar mindset is being applied to the midfield and with Brouch. We want our cake and eat it too.

No, Im not. If people stop reading at the thread
title thats is their problem.

If people think that all it takes to be a good AFL team is good looking numbers on a stats sheet each week that is their problem also.

Yeas our forward line is out of wack also but this has been discussed to death already.
Our forwards have good numbers also and I think this is the sole justification to the continual selection of such a top heavy and unbalanced forward 6. I.e cant drop Otto because he is playing well and Cant drop JJ because he is JJ and scores. Doesnt matter that the best we have functioned as a whole this season was when we went in with a 2 tall structure. Similar mindset is being applied to the midfield and with Brouch. We want our cake and eat it too.
I understand your point. B Crouch no longer has the burst of speed he had and our midfield is now slow.

But this has also happened with Slowness influence being curtailed and Dougie has dropped off big time.

I would look to swap Dougie for Knight and have Cameron play more midfield minutes.

Sloane so needs to work this tagging issue out. Or play him across HF more.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You're not??

See Thread Header.....

Won Tackle Count 75 - 68
Won I50 Count 56 - 44
Lost I50 Marks 8 - 12

Ill go watch the game again tonight sober but from memory I cant remember any of the spread, breaking of lines through leg power, short decisive hitup kicking into fwd50, hyperspeed handballing chains out of congestion or numerous other things that were present early in the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ill go watch the game again tonight sober but from memory I cant remember any of the spread, breaking of lines through leg power, short decisive hitup kicking into fwd50, hyperspeed handballing chains out of congestion or numerous other things that were present early in the season.
You're braver than I.

I never want to lay eyes on this game ever again...except for when Jenkins forgot he was a pussy and ragdolled Hodge (LOL) and for when tex wheeled around outside fifty and gave us the match-winning lead....and gave us what should have been the match-winning lead.

I understand your point. B Crouch no longer has the burst of speed he had and our midfield is now slow.

But this has also happened with Slowness influence being curtailed and Dougie has dropped off big time.

I would look to swap Dougie for Knight and have Cameron play more midfield minutes.

Sloane so needs to work this tagging issue out. Or play him across HF more.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Id do the same.
Or just work the rotations so the Crouch brothers dont attend the same stoppage, but how do you do that?

I rewatched the Saints game this week, he stops trying in the 2nd quarter.
Thet do scrag him so bad though, he went into the first two bounces with Stevens holding his wrist with his arm extended behind his back.

If Sloane had the mongrel in him he would have put Stevens nose down his throat.
Gets pinged a week or two and probably wouldn't cop the tag after that but the whole team are soft as butter and it will continue infinitum.

I've re-watched a couple of early season games.

Damn! Curtly Hampton was far more important in our midfield than anyone here gave him credit for. He didn't amass the disposals, but his movement through traffic was excellent and had an impact on our forward delivery. That's something that's changed in our running patterns.

Add to that his effective tackling, a rare quality at our club.

Burst speed isn't the problem. Joel Selwood isn't quick. Sam Mitchell isn't quick. It's making good things happen and he just isn't. Winning a fair bit of the ball and is tough but not clearing congestion or releasing a team mate. His disposals are just part of a rushed clearance forward or an impactless exit backwards/sideways.

Very worrying as we have invested heavily in him both in terms of trade currency to get him, early games invested and contract length/money.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ma...-over-tabletopping-crows-20170622-gwwr3t.html

GOALS: Hawthorn: Puopolo 2, Burton 2, Henderson 2, Burgoyne 2, O'Brien 2, Hartung, Roughead, Mitchell, Langford.

Adelaide: Jenkins 3, Greenwood 2, Walker 2, Otten, B. Crouch, Cameron, Betts, Lynch.

BEST: Hawthorn: Mitchell, Henderson, Birchall, Langford, Duryea, Burton.
Adelaide: M. Crouch, B. Crouch, Atkins, Greenwood, Jacobs, Sloane.

UMPIRES: Simon Meredith, Dean Margetts, Leigh Fisher.

VOTES

T. Mitchell (Haw) 9

R. Henderson (Haw) 8

G. Birchall (Haw) 8

M. Crouch (Adel) 7

B. Crouch (Adel) 7

CROWD: 45,312 at Adelaide Oval.
If you agree with that best players list then it's time to lay off the pipe.

You're not??

See Thread Header.....

Won Tackle Count 75 - 68
Won I50 Count 56 - 44
Lost I50 Marks 8 - 12

i would say the coaches are the problem ... hawks played extra 2 defenders and repelled us most times, we didnt even look like scoring after half time. clearly they ****ed up the plan going forward. it was clear we were too tall and couldnt take a mark. too many talls going for the mark, in the first couple of rounds there would usually only be 1 player going for the mark and everyone else held off. when the ball went to ground, we put the pressure on. now it just instantly gets cleared out for a quick rebound and score to the opposition who are amongst the slowest in the competition.

So that's both the Age and the Tiser that had him in the bests...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...z/news-story/ff033d075a66236dde2b68f2c52e22c7

SCOREBOARD

HAWTHORN 4.2 6.4 9.7 14.12 (96)

ADELAIDE 4.2 9.4 10.6 12.10 (82)

BEST — Hawthorn: Burgoyne, Henderson, Burton, Mitchell, Shiels, Birchall, Hodge.

Adelaide: Greenwood, M. Crouch, Talia, B. Crouch, Jacobs, Jenkins.

GOALS — Hawthorn: Burton, Burgoyne, O’Brien, Puopolo, Henderson 2, Roughead, Langford, Mitchell, Hartung.

Adelaide: Jenkins 3, Greenwood, Walker 2, Cameron, Lynch, Betts, B. Crouch.

INJURIES — Adelaide: Brown (ankle).

UMPIRES — L. Fisher, D. Margetts, S. Meredith.

CROWD — 45,312 at Adelaide Oval.

i would say the coaches are the problem ... hawks played extra 2 defenders and repelled us most times, we didnt even look like scoring after half time. clearly they ****** up the plan going forward. it was clear we were too tall and couldnt take a mark. too many talls going for the mark, in the first couple of rounds there would usually only be 1 player going for the mark and everyone else held off. when the ball went to ground, we put the pressure on. now it just instantly gets cleared out for a quick rebound and score to the opposition who are amongst the slowest in the competition.
I did say Forward structure...

Burst speed isn't the problem. Joel Selwood isn't quick. Sam Mitchell isn't quick. It's making good things happen and he just isn't. Winning a fair bit of the ball and is tough but not clearing congestion or releasing a team mate. His disposals are just part of a rushed clearance forward or an impactless exit backwards/sideways.

Very worrying as we have invested heavily in him both in terms of trade currency to get him, early games invested and contract length/money.
All true, but he's still played only 50 games (in 5 seasons) and with a shonky body. I think there are better things to come but at the moment he gets too much of the ball to be wasting it as much as he does. Crows have to actively put work into what he does with it after he's won it.

Sorry to say but Brad Crouch stood up last night and was one of our better Players, he got the ball out to a few on on the outside, his spread was good needs improvement but he is working on it. It was our outside players that were crap, Watch the game again, Smith, Liard, Atkins, Milera, CC, Sloane, Lynch all received some good ball from Brad and Matt, easy ball in the open yet they stuff up easy kicks into the forward or constantly kicked to a 2 on 1 situation. How many times did you see JJ goal side and they yet kick it short to him, same with Eddie, except that waited until he was double teamed?
Yet all this Post talks about is one player who rushed a few kicks when under pressure. but was one of in not the best player in the side last night.
As for the spread, some need to watch the game several times without the commentary as they stuffed up the players regularly, We did not lose the game in midfield, we lost it on the outside with brain fade kicks into the Forward line and a Forward line that failed to defend the easy switch play out.
And Ramify Brad and Matt Crouch are Chalk and Cheese in the style, it's like comparing Dangerfield and Thommo and saying they are the same.
They are two different players just starting to get comfortable with the game, both have less than 60 games experience. both 23 and under, in a competition where the Good Mids start to play good football at 24/5 years of age and 80 -100 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back