News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delete my post if not wanted, I genuinely don’t want to cause angst.

The reason it’s not factored is to stop teams from gaming the the system.

For example having a 400k base salary and triggers for winning AA/ Brownlow/ AFLPA MVP (etc) at 600k so this would mean only 400k in base salary is used in their formulae not the 1m which is 60% unrealistic and would mean band 1 compensation when they’re realy worth Band 3/4 (whatever it is)

Once again delete my post if I’m not allowed to post here. I’m still new to BF :)
yes that makes sense, except that all those triggers that can’t be reached would be included in the new clubs salary cap. who wants a $400k player to count $1m against your cap?

I totally get the match because it's strong and we won't look weak and we'll be a joke and all of that.

Assuming it is $750-800k after easy games played triggers (like average 10 games a year in the first 3 and nothing to do with how well he actually plays)

Are we actually happy to keep him for 5 years on those terms? Like Brad can say yes and thanks and refuse to go anywhere until season 2026.

There is a real risk no better trade is coming and Brad doesn't have to go anywhere else if he doesn't want to.

I'm not talking it's $600,000/4 and we match, but if it truly is $800,000/5.

We'll also be a joke if in 3 years time Brad's played just another 35 games at near $70,000 per game and triggered seasons 4 and 5.

Matching isn't without risk.
Unless the club can turn the compo pick into a deal that heavily favours us (ie preying on a top pick that a club doesn’t need due to academy selections), then they cannot win this PR battle with supporters or the industry.

This is why the NFL have 'likely to be earned' incentives, which count in situations like this, and 'unlikely to be earned', which don't.
Delete my post if not wanted, I genuinely don’t want to cause angst.

The reason it’s not factored is to stop teams from gaming the the system.

For example having a 400k base salary and triggers for winning AA/ Brownlow/ AFLPA MVP (etc) at 600k so this would mean only 400k in base salary is used in their formulae not the 1m which is 60% unrealistic and would mean band 1 compensation when they’re realy worth Band 3/4 (whatever it is)

Once again delete my post if I’m not allowed to post here. I’m still new to BF :)

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Because we'll have to hand over significant other assets to change pick 23 into a top 10 pick.

Rather than just getting pick 10 directly for Brad
Yep. Saints should be the ones doing the running around trying to find a top 10 pick. They see us as so weak they can basically tell us to F off and know we will.

Unless the club can turn the compo pick into a deal that heavily favours us (ie preying on a top pick that a club doesn’t need due to academy selections), then they cannot win this PR battle with supporters or the industry.

Forget the PR with fans. If they accept the compensation they will lose leverage with any contract negotiations for years because our bluffs and hard stances will have absolutely no effect

Yep. Saints should be the ones doing the running around trying to find a top 10 pick. They see us as so weak they can basically tell us to F off and know we will.

That's exactly it. They clearly see us as weak, inept operators that can be pushed over with a breeze

What is wrong with turning the compo pick into a top 10 pick, if it goes down that route? That’s the only acceptable scenario to not matching
If it’s in a separate deal with the Saints that massively favours us then nothing. If it’s a fair deal with any other club then the 2 things are totally separate.
you can’t use what you do with a crap compo, as the reason to accept that compo.

otherwise you could justify trading say, Doedee for pick 30, if you strike a great player with that pick in the draft.

We cost him a full year of his career due to our Burton mismanagement.

It’s a miracle he doesn’t ******* hate us.
Sounds like he possibly does. He's done ok out of us so there shouldn't be too much bad blood. Let's get what we can by matching and move him on. Hopefully he gets his body right at the saints and they can get the best out of him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see how this can happen, we either take the compo pick or we don't.

The only way we can get better is by matching which makes the compo pick null and void

Matching is the only way we can get players/sweeteners legally....and then we if the Saints walk away we're committed to the same deal Brad's management have secured at the Saints
Not sure why this is confusing.

We can have a deal with St Kilda that traded our pick 32 for their first next year - that is very comparable to the Geel-GCS deal last year.

Then, we can announce that we're not matching.

Two seperate deals, that happen on the same day.

Whilst I think it is weak that Kelly talks tough but won't back it up, we also need to remember that 16 other clubs did not value B Crouch higher than the Saints have.

Just shows his place in the game.

And being caught with the Coke in his off season would have no affect on his value. It is reasonably common in the industry and accepted in clubland.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Because we'll have to hand over significant other assets to change pick 23 into a top 10 pick.

Rather than just getting pick 10 directly for Brad
What is we could package it up with someone like Seed? Given that we have enough picks for our academy selections, if you don’t lose any other top 40 picks to get the Bulldogs pick 14 then I can live with that deal. It is effectively pick 14 for Crouch and the Bulldogs just bundle 23 with other picks to get JUH. However, as I’ve always stated I want us to match and the above scenario is a very distant 2nd option.

I know the AFC dont think about the long term consequences here, but the next time another Club bids on a RFA of ours they will know exactly how to push the Crows into a corner where they dont match.

If anything I think matching sends a message to the competition, that while we are cooked as a Club at least we will not roll over.

Forget the PR with fans. If they accept the compensation they will lose leverage with any contract negotiations for years because our bluffs and hard stances will have absolutely no effect

The damage was done last year when we rolled over for Greenwood. We should have sent him to the PSD.

Until members can properly vote/sack anyone in Admin, those individuals in selected positions will continue to care less and do what they want.

If you were worried about your job and knew the members could sack you for accepting Pick 23 for Brouch, you would make sure you would look for alternatives be it matching the Saints offer or looking at alternative Clubs.

Rolling over and playing dead is what the Crows do best.
I’m not sure that’s the answer either. Plenty of the blue rinse set were quick to congratulate Chapman on his “14 years of outstanding service.”

That's exactly it. They clearly see us as weak, inept operators that can be pushed over with a breeze
I do wonder how much Fagan drives this after the Gibbs debacle. He's so worried about losing out he'll make us look weak and take or give whatever other sides want rather than stand his ground and potentially walk away with nothing.

I know the AFC dont think about the long term consequences here, but the next time another Club bids on a RFA they will know exactly how to push the Crows into a corner where they dont match.

If anything I think matching sends a message to the competition, that while we are cooked as a Club at least we will not roll over.
I'm sure Brad's brother won't be taking notes for if he decides to leave next year...

Not sure why this is confusing.

We can have a deal with St Kilda that traded our pick 32 for their first next year - that is very comparable to the Geel-GCS deal last year.

Then, we can announce that we're not matching.

Two seperate deals, that happen on the same day.
Both clubs come out of that as winners.

well not as bad losers might be more accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back