Toast Brad Sheppard forced into retirement following multiple concussions

Remove this Banner Ad

cbe3dcbf33bdf8c7da1c51a860a10378

West Coast veteran Brad Sheppard has been forced to retire after multiple concussions prompted fears for his long-term heath.

Sheppard did not play again after being concussed in the round 22 derby, his second head injury in barely two months, admitting he was concerned at the time about the lingering impact.

Aside from being a toast thread for an undoubtedly star player for us over the past decade (216 games, 2020 All Australian) - with other players retiring early due to ongoing concussion-related issues, will this be the trend in the future?

All the best in retirement, Shep, and let's hope the concussions don't follow him in his post-footy life.

I think that's just shitty luck moreso than the playing surface itself contributing to anything.

There's also significantly more awareness about concussion than there was even 5 years ago.
Maybe but what are odds 2 players from same team retire within few months of each other due to concussion. What other team had this situation?

Maybe but what are odds 2 players from same team retire within few months of each other due to concussion. What other team had this situation?

Sometimes things just happen, it's too small a sample size to say it's Optus causing it, otherwise Fremantle would have similar issues. And teams travelling would be getting more concussions there.

Venables never recovered and still hasn't from 1 concussion from Optus
To be fair, the turf at Optus hit Venables like a bus and he got absolutely belted in that collision before hitting the ground.
Brad collided with other players. Banfield, Saad and I think another teammate in the Derby. Not so much turf related.

Sometimes things just happen, it's too small a sample size to say it's Optus causing it, otherwise Fremantle would have similar issues. And teams travelling would be getting more concussions there.
I didn't say it's Optus I said it might. If Fremantle cop nothing then sure it's just bad luck but away teams don't play there enough to be compared

2 concussion related retirements to WC players in last few months. Does Optus Stadium surface have something to do with it?

Sheppard's big concussion last year came at the SCG vs Carlton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember that but he got other concussions after that didn't he? I mean he did play the games after that

Yes but that was the big one

Once you get a big one like that the effects of smaller ones get compounded after (See Picken, McCartin etc)

wishing him all the best for the future

Remove this Banner Ad

Back