List Mgmt. Brady Rawlings | Head of Football Talent (Recruitment, LM & TPP)

Remove this Banner Ad

He did ok-good IMO.

tazaa has a point that we have got used to damage control, the entire supporter base and club have serious football PTSD.

Keeping in the context of a 'wantaway' unpopular player albeit a highly talented one forcing our hand, we did well enough.

4 first rounders across 2 years including 2x absolute top end of draft hits this year and fixing up the lack of depth in our 2022 draft pick range from the CCJ trade. Nice work.

The Logue and Tucker deal was good business.

Would've liked to milk a bit more for JHF and pick #1 and think we realistically could've. But we still walked away with a small profit from the whole experience.

As everyone has said holding our nerve on #3 (please may it stay that way) was a good finish. Ditto not overpaying (2x 2nd rounders? come on people) for Clark. Again a good (not great at this stage) player but the fact saints were shopping him is an alarm in itself.

It’s the mindset approach.

If Brady was to be judged on damage limitation then he has done quite well.
We lost the rat and pick 1 for what is looking like Wardlaw and Sheezel and Ports Future First in a strong draft. Take that if the outcome was to neutralize our position or end up in the black.

On the other hand possessing pick 1 comes with immense leverage and yet we could only deal our way to the above. We had another pick 1 that came with baggage so it seems we just wanted to be rid of him at any cost.
Acceptable if you don’t want a loss but overall it’s underwhelming.
The fallout about *** is coming to surface now and the only question I have is could JHF and this years pick 1 not have been maximised separately?

Sadly I’m now in the position of also wanting damage minimization but to be so risk adverse with the draft capital we had two weeks ago, doesn’t impress me.

The eff up came 12 months ago picking JHF in the first place.

This period was simply about getting him out of the place and cutting the best deal possible with the situation as it is.

Ending up with pick 3 and Ports future first (plus the 3rd rounders) is probably as good as we would get given the circumstances.

Having said that, I would have dragged it out until the 11th hour demanding a player also. Port may have caved as the pressure mounted from all parties on Port. A player may have come from one of the other clubs involved.

The other thing too, is upon the announcement he wanted to leave we could have just stonewalled that request.
It's quite outrageous a pick 1 would be considered to be traded after year 1, so us doing that would have been expected.
The fact we opened the door to the possibility straight away, swung the power a bit back to Port from ball one.

The deal can only be judged at minimum after the next 2 drafts/trade periods and then probably to its full extent some years after that.

Turned JHF, who it seems we didn't want to even consider holding him to contract, and our our first choice player into what is likely (if GWS does what is expected) to be our first and second choice players, some junk picks this year, and a future first which could lie anywhere.

I went up and down after the JHF trade, trying to decide where on the line between OK and Not OK the trade fell, but in the days since, after seeing just how disliked and disruptive JHF had been, I can't help but think we did pretty well at making the best of the shit situation while also not reaming any other clubs. The latter would have been nice, but w/e.

Shout out to Logue, and to a lesser extent tucker, for sticking fat and joining. Logue in particular should transform our team.

Given our list profiles, we are going to have 2 very high quality selections this year and potentially 3 in next year's draft, or alternatively some capital to trade for a good established senior footballer. Very bullish about this list build now we have brought on board logue and an additional 15 to 20 odd games our younger guys got this year.

Given our list profiles, we are going to have 2 very high quality selections this year and potentially 3 in next year's draft, or alternatively some capital to trade for a good established senior footballer. Very bullish about this list build now we have brought on board logue and an additional 15 to 20 odd games our younger guys got this year.
Plus someone who can actually coach them

I remember them saying the same about LDU, it takes time and consistency
That's true but Judas had two years playing SANFL and left school in year 9 (?). Yes he was a part time milkman-child-baby but he was almost a full time footballer for two years before getting to us. LDU obviously impressed at U-18s, school footy etc but did year 12.

Understand what you're saying but I don't think pick 1 possesses the same value it did last year.
There was no stand out talent and I don't even think Ashcroft is anywhere near the level of Daicos or JHF were last year in terms of talent.
It also appears clubs in the bottom 6 were reluctant to trade out future 1sts this year with the draft coming up.
I would have thought we would've taken offers from all clubs on pick 1 and no one wanted the no. 1 as much as GWS because of flight risk scenario.
We're dudded by the evenness of the top 4-5 kids in the draft and the fact Wardlaw hasn't played late in season and is under an injury cloud.
If Wardlaw played, absolutely dominated and was better than Ashcroft then I think we'd have a higher value asset on our hands.

He did ok-good IMO.

tazaa has a point that we have got used to damage control, the entire supporter base and club have serious football PTSD.

Keeping in the context of a 'wantaway' unpopular player albeit a highly talented one forcing our hand, we did well enough.

4 first rounders across 2 years including 2x absolute top end of draft hits this year and fixing up the lack of depth in our 2022 draft pick range from the CCJ trade. Nice work.

The Logue and Tucker deal was good business.

Would've liked to milk a bit more for JHF and pick #1 and think we realistically could've. But we still walked away with a small profit from the whole experience.

As everyone has said holding our nerve on #3 (please may it stay that way) was a good finish. Ditto not overpaying (2x 2nd rounders? come on people) for Clark. Again a good (not great at this stage) player but the fact saints were shopping him is an alarm in itself.
2 very good summations that I agree with.

This period was simply about getting him out of the place and cutting the best deal possible with the situation as it is.

Ending up with pick 3 and Ports future first (plus the 3rd rounders) is probably as good as we would get given the circumstances.

Having said that, I would have dragged it out until the 11th hour demanding a player also. Port may have caved as the pressure mounted from all parties on Port. A player may have come from one of the other clubs involved.

The other thing too, is upon the announcement he wanted to leave we could have just stonewalled that request.
It's quite outrageous a pick 1 would be considered to be traded after year 1, so us doing that would have been expected.
The fact we opened the door to the possibility straight away, swung the power a bit back to Port from ball one.

The deal can only be judged at minimum after the next 2 drafts/trade periods and then probably to its full extent some years after that.
It’s a good point you raise WR.
What if we made Port sweat till the final hour. Would we have gotten better or worse than 2, 3 and the F1?
I think the complexity of the deal meant getting it done Monday was to ensure West Coast didn’t get cold feet.

As others have alluded to if he managed to get one of GWS first rounders as well then he’d be lauded a legend. That was the finesse we were waiting for. Not even pick 15. Give us 18. Hell imagine the joy of getting back 19 lol
Has that ever happened before?
A pick being returned to its original club?

Deserves more credit for getting Pick 2 imo.

If we accept that there are less than a handful of top talents in this years draft, you’d reasonably suggest that any club getting one of those top 5 picks would come at an absolute premium in draft capital.

Only WC and GWS had something to offer us, and he got them both to the table.

It’s a good point you raise WR.
What if we made Port sweat till the final hour. Would we have gotten better or worse than 2, 3 and the F1?
I think the complexity of the deal meant getting it done Monday was to ensure West Coast didn’t get cold feet.

This is a critical part of why the deal was reasonable imo.

During the first few days the deal was mooted as 2022 #8 + 2023 R1 + 1x shitmen. If we'd accepted Bonner it probably would've been wrapped up in the first hour of trade week.

Then the rumour surfaced that we'd demanded "go and find a top 5 pick". Brady & Co aren't getting enough credit for this change of direction. The default position was for a trade to pivot around #8. Had the deal stayed that way even the more critical amongst us would've eventually accepted that was the main currency PA was working with.

Brady et al instead upped the ante and the core of the trade quickly moved to #2 plus extras. That's where your comment is spot on - assuming we'd already accepted cutting ties with JFHF asap was our best outcome, now we could get an almost exactly equitable return for our initial investment. Pick #2 being up for grabs also surely caught the nose of a few other clubs? I'm guessing West Coast would've quickly found themselves in a seller's market if it was left too long.

So maybe the urgency swung back onto us. It was no longer a matter of being coy about JFHF and bluffing that we could walk away, now we had a desirable target of our own and wouldn't want to let that slip. Yes we could've ****ed around Port until trade deadline seeing what dropped out. But as you suggest and as per above if WC pulled out our best case scenario would've shifted back to #8 + trimmings at which point Port would've really got us over a barrel.

Deserves more credit for getting Pick 2 imo.

If we accept that there are less than a handful of top talents in this years draft, you’d reasonably suggest that any club getting one of those top 5 picks would come at an absolute premium in draft capital.

Only WC and GWS had something to offer us, and he got them both to the table.

Then the rumour surfaced that we'd demanded "go and find a top 5 pick". Brady & Co aren't getting enough credit for this change of direction. ... Brady et al instead upped the ante and the core of the trade quickly moved to #2 plus extras.

Bloody hell mate. Snap.

It’s also a credit to the relationships Brady has with West Coast & McCartney at GWS. He explicitly called out those two clubs after the deal, little mention of Port.

From my perspective, Port did SFA besides wine and dine the Francis family. Hence it’s laughable that they’re getting so much credit for this deal IMO.

give the man a holiday - the spokesman for an absolute rabble with vultures everywhere. did well all things considered. trade #3 and you die.

Yes this bloke deserves some time off after the draft.

Has done his bit and then some over the last two years and copped a few battle scars along the way. If everyone at the club was like that we will go places.

Don't want any more Rhyce Shaws. Come back refreshed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His ego is huge, his ability to handle the consistent pressure of being a number 1 pick from the media makes him fragile. Watching that conference yesterday I only saw more of that. And in an absolute echo chamber town like Adelaide with intense supporters at port he better be willing to lift or he will ******* crumble under the weight of it all
And in a two team town you better believe Crows supporters will be riding his every mistake just as much as we are. He will be under all sorts of pressure.

To be fair i cannot remember to many on here un happy when we drafted him.

Imagine if North/Brady had not selected him? Based on what was known and said at the time?

I was quite vocally sceptical during the year :D
Not because I didn't think he had ability but I thought too much was being made of him playing in the SANFL with average numbers. Had a good prelim though.

**** that little shit for getting me invested in him this season

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Brady Rawlings | Head of Football Talent (Recruitment, LM & TPP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back