List Mgmt. Brady Rawlings | Head of Football Talent (Recruitment, LM & TPP)

Remove this Banner Ad

So, what do we rate Brady's trade and draft period?

Started off with picks 1,55,66
Lost JHF

Finished up with Logue, Tucker, Sheezel, Wardlaw, George, Harvey, Drury, Free, Howe, Turner.
2023 picks F1(North), F1 (Port) ,F3 (North), F3(Dees), F4 (Haw)
8/10

Only negatives are
Should have gone a KPF at some point

Howe is a waste of a spot

The above could have been solved by demoting spicer to the rookie list to take Howes spot and using pick 40 on Lemmey or keeler

Lost JHF

Finished up with Logue, Tucker, Sheezel, Wardlaw, George, Harvey, Drury, Free, Howe, Turner.

With the hand he was dealt I think he’s done extremely well.

He’s nailed the trades and draft picks, the rookie selections are a little puzzling to me but I’m sure he’s getting riding instructions from Clarko and Viney so those selections wouldn’t be entirely down to Brady.

Based on what we started with and what we finished with it’s an A- from me.

He’s done an enormous job since being with us.

Criticism of him is genuinely uncalled for in such little time.

In his current tenure. I’d say its better than a pass. Not honours level yet, I will admit just definitely passing hard with a credit at least.

Nah, some of it is warranted.

The CCJ/Tarrant capitulation definately warranted criticism at the time and hasn’t aged at all well.

His record would be exemplary without that fairly large blip.

I didn’t take the JHF deal well at the time, but tempers were high, in hindsight it was a decent deal.

Lost JHF

He deserves credit. Particularly around what he was able to do with GWS and WCE, which is off the back of the relationships he has there.

They drafted very well as obvious by the medias commentary on how we went.

Logue will be a smoky for recruit of the year & he started that process.

Lost JHF

Got dealt a 2 and a 7, improved it to a full book, solid passmark from me.

Nah, some of it is warranted.

The CCJ/Tarrant capitulation definately warranted criticism at the time and hasn’t aged at all well.

His record would be exemplary without that fairly large blip.

I didn’t take the JHF deal well at the time, but tempers were high, in hindsight it was a decent deal.
The CCJ and Tarrant shit was blown up to unprecedented levels. Jury isn’t out on CCJ and Tarrant was a great servant that wanted a change of scenery. If thats all you got, then you really got nuffin

8/10

Only negatives are
Should have gone a KPF at some point

Howe is a waste of a spot

The above could have been solved by demoting spicer to the rookie list to take Howes spot and using pick 40 on Lemmey or keeler
I'm not that upset about the non-selection of a KPF as I didn't think the quality was there this year.

Complaining about rookie selections is a little pointless, they are only contracted for a season, and with such a young list (32 players 24 and under) we needed to bring in some experience and Howe having played under Clarkson is a smart move.

Personally, I thought Rawlings did an excellent job this year after it looked like all was beginning to unravel when JHF asked for a release, but with only minimum assistance from the AFL (and let's be honest it was the very least they could do) he stayed calm and brought in a couple of experienced players from Freo, doubled our picks in the top 5 and found a potential star in the second round. Our age profile is still a little eschew with only 6 players between 25-30 and another 6 (maybe 7 if Sheils comes in) over 30, but that is okay as the talent we have brought in over the three or four drafts will make for an exciting time in the next few years.

I'd give Rawlings 9/10 for this trade/draft period.

Did some serious heavy lifting on his own when needed.

Yoga Muppet GIF

Definitely a pass mark, plus some..

Did a great job this year however still disappointing that we didn't take any key positions whether it be defender or forward. As stated demoting one of mahoney and spicer could easily have solved this problem and we could have gotten keeler or lemmy. His negotiations the year before when we could have psd ccj was also unacceptable so I'd give him a 8/10 at most

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still don’t think we maximised trading pick 1 and JHF - I rate our return at 5/10.

Getting Logue and Tucker was great, but I’ll hold the applause as it was achieved using free kicks from the AFL.

I actually agree with tZ regarding the trading of pick 40 - genuinely reckon we could’ve snared more value live trading and I’d feel better having Spicer on rookie list as opposed to picking Howe and having someone like Keeler on the list.

Anyway. Moving on

He has been probably just about as stressed out as any list manager would be especially after witnessing your team walk out on you. He has done extremely well considering the circumstances and made some good calls despite the fact he doesn't have a team yet to offload some of the mountain of work he had to do. Credit where its due.

The most important thing for Brady is his role looks more clear than it did before. It certainly looked like he was in his element a little bit more doing the trade stuff and catching up with guys he has great relationships with. Speaking of which, I think ultimately he did really well with the Judas trade putting those relationships with opposition list managers to work. Initially, I thought we got unders but considering the things coming out after the fact we traded him, yeah, it's looking more and more likely we dodged one there. The damage was well and truly done. We needed the tumour cut out before it got to the rest of the group. It was hard enough getting belted every week but its even worse when the attitude of a number 1 pick makes you feel even less comfortable about the team's harmony.

He still needs help and definitely needs some assistance still in terms of negotiations (this isn't really an issue it's just you can't expect Brady to do everything alone). He knows what our list deficiencies are and knows what we need to address. Definitely better than topping up with B graders only to capitulate spectacularly and miss the 8.

He's not perfect, but he can manage a list and probably recruit better than the blokes that were doing the recruiting before they left.

Lost JHF

A++++ Honestly think our best trade/draft ever and marks a turning point in our clubs fortunes, obviously a lot of other factors at play, but very well played to turn Judas into Sheezel and Wardlaw, with a pick to come (and we get to death ride poort who I think we will finish above if not in 23, definately in 24 and beyond considering lists and draft capital)....trading out a future 2nd with multiple 1st and 3rd rounders in 2023 to bring in B. George I think is also very clever.

If you think back to the days under Scott, he'd talk up how great it was if we can get multiple picks in the first 50. What recent experience has shown is you can get lucky, but really you need to be at the pointy end of the draft and thats why clubs are happy to bunch up multiple picks to try to get in the top 10. Not only have we now accrued several top 10 picks, but we have also picked up players who could have gone higher if not for injury, (Jy, Perez, Chom, Wardlaw, George) but also brought in players from other clubs who were high end picks in Stevo (heart condition in draft year), Bonar, and Logue. Look at all the high end talent Melbourne and Brisbane accrued before launching up the ladder with proper club structure and coaching. Carlton only just getting going now, but in my view didn't make the most of their long time down the bottom, didn't stick enough of their picks (think Dow) and jumped the gun paying up for external talent honestly don't think theyve built enough capital. I honestly believe we have gone about it the right way and will see the rewards starting to show. We've seen it from Jy and LDU, good progress from Bailey,,,,,,what if TT and Phillips start delivering on their potential in 2023, along with a fit and healthy cunners, progress from all the other youngsters, and say Chom plays every game, and averages a goal a game......hell it can very realistically happen very quickly.

Interesting his comments regarding knowing who we would take from our first 3 picks a long way out.

Definitely seems like we’ve discovered George was likely available mid 20’s and traded up specifically for him.

The way he was talking about George, you get the feeling Brady almost rated him as highly as Sheezel.

“kicks goals for fun, likely would have topped the NAB league goal kicking etc” given Sheezel actually ended up topping the NAB league goal kicking…

A++++ Honestly think our best trade/draft ever and marks a turning point in our clubs fortunes, obviously a lot of other factors at play, but very well played to turn Judas into Sheezel and Wardlaw, with a pick to come (and we get to death ride poort who I think we will finish above if not in 23, definately in 24 and beyond considering lists and draft capital)....trading out a future 2nd with multiple 1st and 3rd rounders in 2023 to bring in B. George I think is also very clever.

If you think back to the days under Scott, he'd talk up how great it was if we can get multiple picks in the first 50. What recent experience has shown is you can get lucky, but really you need to be at the pointy end of the draft and thats why clubs are happy to bunch up multiple picks to try to get in the top 10. Not only have we now accrued several top 10 picks, but we have also picked up players who could have gone higher if not for injury, (Jy, Perez, Chom, Wardlaw, George) but also brought in players from other clubs who were high end picks in Stevo (heart condition in draft year), Bonar, and Logue. Look at all the high end talent Melbourne and Brisbane accrued before launching up the ladder with proper club structure and coaching. Carlton only just getting going now, but in my view didn't make the most of their long time down the bottom, didn't stick enough of their picks (think Dow) and jumped the gun paying up for external talent honestly don't think theyve built enough capital. I honestly believe we have gone about it the right way and will see the rewards starting to show. We've seen it from Jy and LDU, good progress from Bailey,,,,,,what if TT and Phillips start delivering on their potential in 2023, along with a fit and healthy cunners, progress from all the other youngsters, and say Chom plays every game, and averages a goal a game......hell it can very realistically happen very quickly.
Trying to read this was like watching housemates clean on speed.

Lost JHF

Need to add the 2 AFL Assistance Package picks to what he started with.

I think he’s done exceptionally well. Trades for Logue and Tucker were great. Turning pick 1 and *** into Sheezel, Wardlaw, F1 etc. was excellent. Brayden George is an inspired selection.

I’m a bit underwhelmed with the Rookie Draft. I like Blake Drury and Hamish Free but I’m not convinced about Howe and particularly Turner’s selection but seeing we’ve got those 2 extra spots it’s by no means a deal breaker.

Last edited:
Still don’t think we maximised trading pick 1 and JHF - I rate our return at 5/10.

Getting Logue and Tucker was great, but I’ll hold the applause as it was achieved using free kicks from the AFL.

I actually agree with tZ regarding the trading of pick 40 - genuinely reckon we could’ve snared more value live trading and I’d feel better having Spicer on rookie list as opposed to picking Howe and having someone like Keeler on the list.

Anyway. Moving on

giphy.gif

This year's picks could set the club up for 10 years to come. Our first 3 picks are absolute guns.

However, and there is always a however, and I pray that I am wrong BUT 2 of our top 3 picks have injury clouds hanging over their heads so it could end up being a disastrous draft haul.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

This year's picks could set the club up for 10 years to come. Our first 3 picks are absolute guns.

However, and there is always a however, and I pray that I am wrong BUT 2 of our top 3 picks have injury clouds hanging over their heads so it could end up being a disastrous draft haul.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk
DA02B75D-BFBD-4CD4-BE0B-8855CD8CB4E3.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Brady Rawlings | Head of Football Talent (Recruitment, LM & TPP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back