Past Brandon Jack - delisted 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks guys for some solid thinking. It'd be nice if the coaches gave a little more feedback on where players are at (within reason). BJ is one I'm interested in as his contract expires this year whereas some of the high-potential new talent still have time to grow. Even knowing that makes him worth watching as it's a pretty clear to me that, unless another contract is offered, he's the only chance of changing his own destiny. Call it human curiosity if you like but I find it every bit as fascinating to see how a player performs in life as in a game. For BJ it seems it's late in the last quarter, we're down several goals, our stars are injured (ouch, sounding too familiar) and he needs to take the game by the scruff. Perhaps he's just not good enough to do it but his endeavour, or lack of, will be an interesting watch.

Anyone getting inside dope or attending training sessions let us know how you see things. Of course Towers is the other one of interest but that's a whole new thread (or three).

SBD, I recall BJ was at the 200th. He was sitting in the stands with Keiran's girl cheering him on. I don't know whether he was trying to be a bridge to bind the family together but I imagine it would have been a tough personal time for him.

Purely conjecture here, and I am certainly not interested in muck-raking, but might he have gone off the boil due to the Jack family bullshit that flared up in the middle of the year? I seem to recall he sided with his folks in that dispute. Might make life in the seniors a little complicated till it is sorted out.

Actually he sided with Kieran

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports...d/news-story/a837f51eae60ef7964e7bbdfef1fdd73

"Kieren’s younger brother Brandon, who is also not on speaking terms with his parents, will be at the Grand Final as a Swans reserves player"

Last edited:

It's fairly simple...he's just not better than the players that he is competing with for spots, hence not getting a game. His NEAFL stats may have looked good but that doesn't necessarily translate to impacting a game.

As far as specific problems go, his kicking is fairly ordinary and he fumbles way too much for an AFL standard player below his knees.

It's fairly simple...he's just not better than the players that he is competing with for spots, hence not getting a game. His NEAFL stats may have looked good but that doesn't necessarily translate to impacting a game.

As far as specific problems go, his kicking is fairly ordinary* and he fumbles way too much for an AFL standard player below his knees.

I remember he fumbled in the first final in 2015 which, despite his obvious effort, ended up costing us one or two much needed goals when we needed to make every one count to have any chance. Horse was probably as frustrated as many of us and subsequently dropped him to try other avenues to goal (though by the 2nd final we were pretty much out of options). I never thought that overall he stood out as a fumbler but he wasn't the only one fumbling that miserable day.

Interesting that George Hewett (24 games) v. Jack's (27 games to end of 2015) are similar, even in age, statwise, despite that Hewett took longer to debut and played an entire season while BJ debuted younger but hasn't had a settled period (except end of 2015). Both failed to impress in their last game but Hewett has at least shown he can play finals. Jack only played the one. Still, I'd have to think that Hewett or McGlynn's (more likely) role would be the most obvious ones for BJ to target in his make or break year. 27 games is no big waste if he doesn't make it more. We were getting games out of him just days after turning 19, the year after we picked him up 57th in the 2012 rookie draft (that also landed Rampe, XR, Lloyd, Robinson and Naismith).

* I recall the hype on this board when a vid was posted showing "Kieran Jack's young brother" landing balls in dustbins from all angles. Maybe all he needed was a dustbin behind the goals.

I remember he fumbled in the first final in 2015 which, despite his obvious effort, ended up costing us one or two much needed goals when we needed to make every one count to have any chance. Horse was probably as frustrated as many of us and subsequently dropped him to try other avenues to goal (though by the 2nd final we were pretty much out of options). I never thought that overall he stood out as a fumbler but he wasn't the only one fumbling that miserable day.

Interesting that George Hewett (24 games) v. Jack's (27 games to end of 2015) are similar, even in age, statwise, despite that Hewett took longer to debut and played an entire season while BJ debuted younger but hasn't had a settled period (except end of 2015). Both failed to impress in their last game but Hewett has at least shown he can play finals. Jack only played the one. Still, I'd have to think that Hewett or McGlynn's (more likely) role would be the most obvious ones for BJ to target in his make or break year. 27 games is no big waste if he doesn't make it more. We were getting games out of him just days after turning 19, the year after we picked him up 57th in the 2012 rookie draft (that also landed Rampe, XR, Lloyd, Robinson and Naismith).

* I recall the hype on this board when a vid was posted showing "Kieran Jack's young brother" landing balls in dustbins from all angles. Maybe all he needed was a dustbin behind the goals.

Interesting that you mention Hewitt, because he's probably to closest to bj in terms of his role in the team. I'd have bj and Hewitt in direct competition for a spot.

Hewitt hasn't set the world on fire either imo. However, he appears to have more of an impact over the course of a match than bj does. Bj had a couple of decent performances, but then followed them up with performances where he appeared to be wearing an invisibility cloak. The same criticism could be levelled at Hewitt at times. While he's in the seniors, I don't think he has a very firm hold on his position and I'd imagine horse would like to see more out of him. Although he doesn't appear as mentally fragile as bj does, in terms of being a confidence player. Mental fragility doesn't bode well for an afl standard player, unless they're exceptionally talented.

I'd imagine horse would be watching both performances closely, as well as how they compete on the training track in determining where they sit in the pecking order.

Hewett is a natural footballer with lovely skills on both sides of his body and rarely fumbles.

I agree that they are both fighting for a similar spot but they are polar opposites when it comes to their strengths and weaknesses.

I remember Papley, Hewett and Dawson played really well in the preseason games. Brandon Jack seemed to lack a bit of composure whenever he got the ball.

I think Papley and Hewett got their chance in round one based on their preseason form and then kept their spot.

Purely conjecture here, and I am certainly not interested in muck-raking, but might he have gone off the boil due to the Jack family bullshit that flared up in the middle of the year? I seem to recall he sided with his folks in that dispute. Might make life in the seniors a little complicated till it is sorted out.
Nope. BJ sided with Kizza. Awful situation. By all accounts he's smart and grounded so I doubt he's ignored any advice he has been given. He's been in the top 6 in most of his NEAFL games but clearly must lack something the coaches want to see. My guess would be physical pressure in the forward line. Both Papley and Hewett are strong and very dynamic. Rose is in a similar situation. Almost but not quite.

Hewett is a natural footballer with lovely skills on both sides of his body and rarely fumbles.

I agree that they are both fighting for a similar spot but they are polar opposites when it comes to their strengths and weaknesses.
Also, Hewett's future lies in the midfield. BJ is only ever likely to be used as a small forward in seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, Hewett's future lies in the midfield. BJ is only ever likely to be used as a small forward in seniors.

Any particular reason you say that ? Physically they're very similar. I agree with GoTheSwannies that Hewett and BJ are physically similar types. Their stats, for what they're worth, suggest they have similar outputs too.

Either way, it's good to have competition for spots, so if they're vying for the same position that's good for the team.

Horse's quote was referring to Towers & BJ at the end of 2015 as a pair of players on the cusp of cementing a spot. From that I would have expected both to get some game time in 2016. Towers did get chances (which I won't sidetrack into judging) but I can only assume BJ was supplanted by the unexpected and meteoric rise of Papley and, try as he might, there simply wasn't a position for him. Perhaps that changes with the retirement of McGlynn.

To say 'he isn't much good' isn't helpful. It's a broad personal opinion and I can't imagine Horse would ever give a player such feedback.

Player Review Scenario :

'Come in Brandon' beams Horse, as he pulls a red folder from the file 'On the Cusp - Just add cement'
'Whatsup Horse ?'
'Sit down Brandon. I want to talk about your goals for the year'
'So what do I need to break back into the seniors ?'
'Well, there is one thing you really need to do'
'What is it Horse ? Please tell me'
'I'm going to give it to you straight Brandon. Do you think you're ready for it'
'I thrive on feedback Horse, good or bad. I just want to improve wherever I can'
'Hmmm...look, you're playing well in the NEAFL, you've had some good games in the seniors but the bottom line is you need to improve'
'Improve in what way ? What do you mean ?
'You need to improve, a lot'
'OK, sure. Can you be more specific ?'
'Some say you're not much good'
'So what can I do to dispel that opinion'
'You need to be much good'
'So what specifically do I need to work on ?'
'Being much gooder'

Horse replaces BJ's folder in the file 'Possible steak knife' and indicates the interview is over. Brandon exits, looking puzzled. Towers appears timidly in the doorway.

'Ah Dean, come in'

That's both funny and plausible.

I'm not sure if anyone remembers but he was named as emergency for the Richmond MCG game

Then something funny happened on the Friday when JPK pulled out and instead of coming into the team, Jack (and Leonardis) were dropped from the emergencies and Hiscox came in for his debut. I suppose we should be thankful to BJ because his absence allowed Longmire to wake up to how awful a player Hiscox really is

I'm not sure if anyone remembers but he was named as emergency for the Richmond MCG game

Then something funny happened on the Friday when JPK pulled out and instead of coming into the team, Jack (and Leonardis) were dropped from the emergencies and Hiscox came in for his debut. I suppose we should be thankful to BJ because his absence allowed Longmire to wake up to how awful a player Hiscox really is

There certainly was an incident, but I've never seen anything definitive about what that incident was. At least we found out (to our detriment) that Hiscox was never going to make it as an AFL player.

Unlike his parents, he would have been at the grand final at the MCG supporting the Swans and his brother. Let's hope this year, he is playing in the grand final with his brother.

I can't imagine a scenario that involves both B.Jack being best 22 AND us making a grand final.

I can't imagine a scenario that involves both B.Jack being best 22 AND us making a grand final.

To be fair nobody imagined a scenario with Xavier in the grand final team!

That said I don't think he is up to it at AFL level. Happy to be proven wrong !

Any particular reason you say that ? Physically they're very similar. I agree with GoTheSwannies that Hewett and BJ are physically similar types. Their stats, for what they're worth, suggest they have similar outputs too.

Either way, it's good to have competition for spots, so if they're vying for the same position that's good for the team.
I would say that Hewett's upper body is a fair bit bigger than BJ's (185/83kg vs 182/77kg at the start of 2016). His muscle development looks better too - more cut. Not as quick off the mark but much better delivery on both sides.

BJack lacks the composure to apply himself adequately at AFL level. He has the ability, skills and physicality, but lacks the mentality to forge a career. He's not the first, nor the last abd certainly isn't the worst. Top level professionalism isn't for everyone and I suspect that he just doesn't want to make the necessary sacrifices to succeed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back