bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
After playing 10 games in 2015 BJ was described by Horse (in Dec 2015) as 'on the cusp of cementing a senior spot'. Instead he played all of 2017 in the NEAFL, consistently featuring among the best players yet wasn't selected for a single senior game. What happened ? Did Horse run out of cement ?

Previously he was considered a stand-in for McGlynn. He could mix it forward and in the midfield. He's quick, skilled, tough as nails, handy around goals and, after debuting at just 19 yo, looked to be on an upward trajectory.

He's only 22 years old. Did he start playing seniors before he was ready ? Is this his do or die year ? (I believe he's contracted until end of 2017).

What's holding him back ? It seemed to me that with some consistent games he could have become an integral part of the team. Is he training hard enough ? Is it simply that there's no Brandon shaped hole to peg him into ? Does Horse secretly despise him ?

With all the focus seemingly on our latest recruits and the club stalwarts, does anyone have any inside dope on BJ ?

The signs aren't good. Had very little impact when he was in the side, didn't really have any outstanding games. And probably hasn't come on as we'd hoped. Do or die year.

After playing 10 games in 2015 BJ was described by Horse (in Dec 2015) as 'on the cusp of cementing a senior spot'. Instead he played all of 2017 in the NEAFL, consistently featuring among the best players yet wasn't selected for a single senior game. What happened ? Did Horse run out of cement ?

Previously he was considered a stand-in for McGlynn. He could mix it forward and in the midfield. He's quick, skilled, tough as nails, handy around goals and, after debuting at just 19 yo, looked to be on an upward trajectory.

He's only 22 years old. Did he start playing seniors before he was ready ? Is this his do or die year ? (I believe he's contracted until end of 2017).

What's holding him back ? It seemed to me that with some consistent games he could have become an integral part of the team. Is he training hard enough ? Is it simply that there's no Brandon shaped hole to peg him into ? Does Horse secretly despise him ?

With all the focus seemingly on our latest recruits and the club stalwarts, does anyone have any inside dope on BJ ?

I think Papley happened...

He's quick, skilled, tough as nails, handy around goals
Sounds like one of the top 50 players in the league by that description, every club will be interested in trading for him.

In reality his main problem is a lack of ability

The signs aren't good. Had very little impact when he was in the side, didn't really have any outstanding games. And probably hasn't come on as we'd hoped. Do or die year.

That's hard to reconcile with end of 2015 being quoted by Horse as 'on the cusp of cementing a spot' followed by consistently good NEAFL performances. Surely someone knows something. Papley may have indeed 'knicked' his spot but with McGlynn gone surely Horse would consider him for the role. His play towards the end of 2015 was showing good signs until he was dropped in the finals after a lack-lustre performance.

If he hasn't come on as Horse hoped does anyone know why ? What is he not doing that Horse wants him to do ?

Any genuine insights ? I don't really care one way or the other whether BJ (or any other player - except AJ) should/shouldn't get a game, but I am curious as to Horse's intentions for a player who's already had a fair bit invested in him by the tender age of 22. Surely if he was written off he'd have been put up for trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like one of the top 50 players in the league by that description, every club will be interested in trading for him.

In reality his main problem is a lack of ability
Clarify 'lack of ability'. In what ? He has assets, which I listed (and not uncommonly possessed by far more than the top 50). What skills is he specifically lacking that Horse wants him to acquire ? I mean, for instance, he can't ruck for s**t, he can't hold down a key position and will never be a full back but none of these things are expected of him. Specifically what skills is Horse looking for him to develop ? He wouldn't be on the list at all if he wasn't considered a chance to play seniors again (I don't buy nepotism) and he wouldn't be consistently among the better players in NEAFL if he simply couldn't play. It's not like at 22 he would be in decline.

Still got delisted though

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Completely irrelevant. Besides, XR was offered but refused a new contract. He walked away but no-one else wanted him. The Swans weren't going to offer him another contract when he had made it quite clear he didn't want to play in Sydney.

That's hard to reconcile with end of 2015 being quoted by Horse as 'on the cusp of cementing a spot' followed by consistently good NEAFL performances. Surely someone knows something. Papley may have indeed 'knicked' his spot but with McGlynn gone surely Horse would consider him for the role. His play towards the end of 2015 was showing good signs until he was dropped in the finals after a lack-lustre performance.

If he hasn't come on as Horse hoped does anyone know why ? What is he not doing that Horse wants him to do ?

Any genuine insights ? I don't really care one way or the other whether BJ (or any other player - except AJ) should/shouldn't get a game, but I am curious as to Horse's intentions for a player who's already had a fair bit invested in him by the tender age of 22. Surely if he was written off he'd have been put up for trade.

Who's to say he wasn't up for trade?
There wouldn't be a market for him anyway because he isn't much good.

Can you provide more context for the quote from Horse? I'm leaning to it being a throwaway line because he wouldn't say "yeah, he is spending the entire year in the reserves".

Who's to say he wasn't up for trade?
There wouldn't be a market for him anyway because he isn't much good.

Can you provide more context for the quote from Horse? I'm leaning to it being a throwaway line because he wouldn't say "yeah, he is spending the entire year in the reserves".

Horse's quote was referring to Towers & BJ at the end of 2015 as a pair of players on the cusp of cementing a spot. From that I would have expected both to get some game time in 2016. Towers did get chances (which I won't sidetrack into judging) but I can only assume BJ was supplanted by the unexpected and meteoric rise of Papley and, try as he might, there simply wasn't a position for him. Perhaps that changes with the retirement of McGlynn.

To say 'he isn't much good' isn't helpful. It's a broad personal opinion and I can't imagine Horse would ever give a player such feedback.

Player Review Scenario :

'Come in Brandon' beams Horse, as he pulls a red folder from the file 'On the Cusp - Just add cement'
'Whatsup Horse ?'
'Sit down Brandon. I want to talk about your goals for the year'
'So what do I need to break back into the seniors ?'
'Well, there is one thing you really need to do'
'What is it Horse ? Please tell me'
'I'm going to give it to you straight Brandon. Do you think you're ready for it'
'I thrive on feedback Horse, good or bad. I just want to improve wherever I can'
'Hmmm...look, you're playing well in the NEAFL, you've had some good games in the seniors but the bottom line is you need to improve'
'Improve in what way ? What do you mean ?
'You need to improve, a lot'
'OK, sure. Can you be more specific ?'
'Some say you're not much good'
'So what can I do to dispel that opinion'
'You need to be much good'
'So what specifically do I need to work on ?'
'Being much gooder'

Horse replaces BJ's folder in the file 'Possible steak knife' and indicates the interview is over. Brandon exits, looking puzzled. Towers appears timidly in the doorway.

'Ah Dean, come in'

Perhaps I should rename the thread "What would Horse tell BJ he needs to do to get back into the seniors"

'Be much good' is not an answer.

When a player is on the cusp they need to take it, improve on their own accord and show why the deserve the spot. Brandon just hasn't improved anymore since debuting.

The same thing happened with Ed Barlow. Showed good promise early on, we built him up but he never strung enough form together

Asking for more than a broad opinion seems a bit hopeful because it seems like you are looking for an in-depth coaching analysis that would only be available from someone who is at the club or personally knows Brandon.

We don't know exactly what is asked of Brandon, we don't know exactly what is going through Horses mind regarding selection and we don't know much else other than what he has produced in the previous seasons, which was serviceable at best.

Without knowing what horse is thinking. And without having watched many reserves games. I'd imagine he has been overtaken by a few of the other youngsters in the side as a result of his limited impact when coming into the seniors. Horse has looked at other options that may contribute more, or provide something thw senior side really needs.

He had a few matches were he showed promise, however, never really contributed a whole lot to our performances. He'd essentially play a cameo role, which isn't enough to justify a place in the best 22.

If I were coach, I'd be watching his ability to impact a match over the course of four quarters, and in matches where the side was losing.

If he goes missing in neafl matches when the opposition is on top, then it doesn't present a good argument for his ability to perform in the seniors against an experienced opponent.

If he can apply himself consistently over 4 quarters, and manages to have an impact when the chips are down, then he puts his hand up for selection. If he only performs when the team is on top, then he's further away from the cusp that perhaps horse first thought.

Purely conjecture here, and I am certainly not interested in muck-raking, but might he have gone off the boil due to the Jack family bullshit that flared up in the middle of the year? I seem to recall he sided with his folks in that dispute. Might make life in the seniors a little complicated till it is sorted out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back