Breakout Players

Remove this Banner Ad

AndyD

Club Legend
Dec 23, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who are going to be our players this season that stamp their name on our side and the competition by playing good, consistent football.. We seem to have a bunch of good players who play very well in some games and then play poor in others (Gia, Ray, to an extent Cooney, Higgins e.t.c). Which one/s will take the next step in 08 and move up another level.

i think maybe people like Callan ward, Tim callan, Jarrod Harbrow maybe, Steven Tiller, D. Morris and aven J. Grant might be good enough to make a name for themselves in 2008.

Would be good to see Mc Dougall step up for two reasons

1)His best is extremely good.

2)We need a good tall forward like the rural areas need rain.

Also would be good to see Farren Ray really go to the next level. He has played well but he has tons of class and ability and can really improve. Maybe the players need to put the hard word on him over the summer break like the Geelong players did to Gary Ablett junior last year.

Actually i think we have nearly fixed the tall forward issue with Jarrod Grant, Scott Welsh, Jarrod Boumann possibly Ben Hudson might be thrown down there.

True but i think being just drafted and skinny bodies, it might take a year or two for Welsh and Boumann to make an impact. I think any games they play next year would be a bonus.

True but i think being just drafted and skinny bodies, it might take a year or two for Welsh and Boumann to make an impact. I think any games they play next year would be a bonus.
welsh will be fine to play this year and he should make an impact. Grant has great ability and if he can put on about 5-10 kgs he should debut mid season and possibly have a huge impact in 2009.

welsh will be fine to play this year and he should make an impact. Grant has great ability and if he can put on about 5-10 kgs he should debut mid season and possibly have a huge impact in 2009.
apparently he is still growing height wise with another 2-3cm left in him so won't be able to put on much weight until he stops.

welsh dont ya mean jarrad grant!!!

Yep, you are right. My mistake. I typed the wrong player.

I am absolutely wrapped that we drafted Grant. A key forward with heaps of talent. Just what we need.

But lets not place too unrealistic expectations on the kid. It might take him 3-4 years to make an impact. If you look at all the key forwards drafted recently, apart from Buddy Frankilin who is one out of the box, who else has made an immediate impact. Lets draw a comparison with Jarrod Roughead who went at number 2(Jarros Grant went at number 3). Roughhead is only starting to make some sort of impact on games. Even then, he is still at least years off peaking. So lets keep our expectations of Grant realistic. He is a key forward who we crave, and will be a 300 game player with the dogs. There is no necessity for him to dominate in his first year or two.

Griffen, Williams, Everitt and Harbrow (gun) expect these players to double their output, which will make a massive difference to the team in 2008.

Cooney Cross and Harris will reach elite status

If you look at all the key forwards drafted recently, apart from Buddy Frankilin who is one out of the box

Although Buddy is early for a key forward, he has still played over 50 games so its not like he's fresh out of school and winning Coleman's, he has had a couple of years. Shaun Higgins in his first 30 games has kicked as many goals as Buddy did in his first 30;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually i think we have nearly fixed the tall forward issue with Jarrod Grant, Scott Welsh, Jarrod Boumann possibly Ben Hudson might be thrown down there.

Scott Welsh is less than 189 cm, same height as Hahn, by no means a tall.

I believe Higgins and Cooney will make there mark next year.

I hope that either mcdougall, Minson or Skipper play FF and make a significant impact. Anyone of them is fine for me, as long as they make a contest and bring the ball to the ground i will be happy. If they happen to mark and kick goals then thats a bonus but i really hope on of those 3 make a mark next year.

For the draftees i think Jarrad Grant will make the biggest impact when he plays. At the moment he can be blown over by a cough, but if he can put some muscle on, then i think he will make a huge impact.

I think Everitt will win the Rising Star award convincingly and will get people talking.

The best thing would be for one of our Forwards to finally take the next step and become good KP goalkickers. Tiller averaging 3 goals a game, Minson becoming a useful big man up forward, skipper being a reliable CHF. If only.

I really hope Mcdougall finally becomes a consistant forward. He is a far better prospect up forward than skipper and minson. In saying that the ball is in his court!

Griffen, Williams, Everitt and Harbrow (gun) expect these players to double their output, which will make a massive difference to the team in 2008.

Cooney Cross and Harris will reach elite status

:thumbsu: I Think you are right on th money here, Harris will become a top 4 FB

Cross and Cooney will rip it up in the middle, and are my two tips for Brownlow/All Australian:D with Griffen

As for Williams, Everitt and Harbrow you can add Higgins in there, and we are starting to get a real good core playing group aged 20-23 which is good and makes me think that we will win a few Premirships in the next 10 years

not much talk about hahn recently,
he had an ordinary year, mostly due to it being the first year after a reco so he'll be back to normal this year. He'll be under the pump to hold his spot but at his best he is very important to our side because of his physical presence.

My bolters will be jarrod "magic man" harbrow, Tommygun Williams and "the Doctor" Andrejs Everitt.
We'll see the most improvement from these guys, and callan ward will impress as a first year player

I think Everitt will win the Rising Star award convincingly and will get people talking.

The best thing would be for one of our Forwards to finally take the next step and become good KP goalkickers. Tiller averaging 3 goals a game, Minson becoming a useful big man up forward, skipper being a reliable CHF. If only.

you really think tiller is capable of kicking 66 goals in a season?

don't get me wrong i think he's ok but i don't think he's got enough tricks in the bag to make it as a leading forward. He's not really quick enough and at the moment isn't strong enough. Opposition defenders will work him out in a heartbeat if they have to.

This thread is made for Adam Cooney.

He will be ridiculously good next year.

With West's career slowly coming to an end, Cross will get also more and more exposure over the next 2-3 years.

not much talk about Hahn recently,
he had an ordinary year, mostly due to it being the first year after a reco so he'll be back to normal this year. He'll be under the pump to hold his spot but at his best he is very important to our side because of his physical presence.

I thought he was finding form and fitness when he damaged his shoulder. I too hope he can find the form he displayed in the first half of the 06 season when he was an important part of our team.

you really think tiller is capable of kicking 66 goals in a season?

don't get me wrong i think he's ok but i don't think he's got enough tricks in the bag to make it as a leading forward. He's not really quick enough and at the moment isn't strong enough. Opposition defenders will work him out in a heartbeat if they have to.

Maybe one day, 30 goals from 10 games maybe? hmm probably a bit overly optimistic. Yes he still has a way to go and probably won't be next year, I have liked what I'm seen from him and while he's not overly quick when he has the ball he seems to have a bit of time. He's dropped behind welsh now so he'll have to work hard at willy.

Yep, you are right. My mistake. I typed the wrong player.

I am absolutely wrapped that we drafted Grant. A key forward with heaps of talent. Just what we need.

But lets not place too unrealistic expectations on the kid. It might take him 3-4 years to make an impact. If you look at all the key forwards drafted recently, apart from Buddy Frankilin who is one out of the box, who else has made an immediate impact. Lets draw a comparison with Jarrod Roughead who went at number 2(Jarros Grant went at number 3). Roughhead is only starting to make some sort of impact on games. Even then, he is still at least years off peaking. So lets keep our expectations of Grant realistic. He is a key forward who we crave, and will be a 300 game player with the dogs. There is no necessity for him to dominate in his first year or two.

Don't expect miralces from the kid. If he goes anywhere near as well as Everett did last your it will be a bonus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back