Brisbane to ask for priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and managed 20 wins in the two years that followed, so your situation was hardly all that dire.

Your club chose to deem Voss' 10-win 2013 season dire enough to sack him.

Well the original point about Richmond being shortchanged by getting pick 6 in a compromised draft must be null and void then because Richmond had 25 wins in the subsequent years so obviously their situation was hardly that dire.

What bearing does the Voss sacking have on the argument?

The vast majority do. My club's barely put a foot wrong for five years and can't get a goddamn crumb from the sneering media, but drop a few games and the harbingers of doom are out in force. Cashed up and on the doorstep of the top four and can't attract the players we need because we're not taken seriously. And yes, much of it is self-inflicted by past incompetent administrations.

We've scrabbled for every ******* foothold. Pardon me if I have zero time for those asking for a leg-up so they can go straight past us again.
If the Lions do end up getting a priority pick, I highly doubt that one player will be the reason for finishing above Richmond on the ladder if that did happen.

The irony of some Pies and Hawks fans coming into this thread and saying things like "They don't deserve a priority pick they were already gifted 3 premierships due to handouts" is hilarious. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't both the Hawks and Pies receive priority picks in the 2005 national draft which lead to the acquisitions of future premiership stars Pendlebury/Thomas for the Pies and Buddy/Roughy for the Hawks?

The attitude of some Demons supporters is laughable as well. How easily some forget your club received priority picks and were later found guilty of tanking. Fair enough if you disagree with the Lions right to one but some of you seriously need to get off your high horses especially those of you who are "outraged":D

Anyway I don't particularly want a priority pick. It would be nice and I think the club does have a claim for one considering the AFL completely ignored the club for so many years while supporting the other three frontier clubs but there are other more important issues at hand and I don't think we particularly need one.
Yep always collingwoods fault :) im sorry its collingwoods fault for everything including bigfooty posts. Don't mention other vic clubs ok, just always use collingwood for your point cos it's our fault your having a bad year. o_Owe live in 2015 not 2005 but move on when your ready to:rolleyes:

Port had 8 wins in 2 seasons and didn't get a top 5 draft pick out of it.

I'm sure everyone will be alright.

Brisbane need to get their academy churning out talented kids on a more regular basis. That's their counter to being in a non-traditional state, and i'm fully supportive of them having the academy while those inequalities exist.

But you have to help yourselves. Brisbane has made a lot of list mistakes in the past decade or so and compensation shouldn't be about mitigating poor decisions, it should be about fixing entrenched disadvantage. The academy system does that.

If the Lions do end up getting a priority pick, I highly doubt that one player will be the reason for finishing above Richmond on the ladder if that did happen.

Who knows what effect it has? All sorts of permutations are invoked by pushing the other 17 clubs down a place.

Brisbane's had an extremely young side for the past two seasons. There's plenty of talent there and as others have remarked, the list is hardly a basket case. Allow it time to knit and see what happens.

Focus on player retention first, player acquisition second.

Last edited:
Yep always collingwood fault :) im sorry its collingwoods fault for everything including bigfooty posts. Don't mention other vic clubs ok, just always use collingwood for your point cos it's our fault. o_Owe live in 2015 not 2005 but move on when your ready to:rolleyes:
Never said anything about anything being Collingwood's fault:confused: Was merely pointing out the irony of some comments from Pies and Hawks fans. And what do you mean by "Don't mention other vic clubs ok, just always use collingwood for your point cos it's our fault"? I literally mentioned the Hawks in the same sentence:D

The vast majority do. My club's barely put a foot wrong for five years and can't get a goddamn crumb from the sneering media, but drop a few games and the harbingers of doom are out in force.

Thats the Vic media. Don't listen to them. Just stick to KB 9-12.

Cashed up and on the doorstep of the top four and can't attract the players we need because we're not taken seriously. And yes, much of it is self-inflicted by past incompetent administrations.

We've scrabbled for every ******* foothold. Pardon me if I have zero time for those asking for a leg-up so they can go straight past us again.

The AFL created the situation all clubs have now. The AFL's sole purpose is revenue. The rules are made with this in mind. Drafts, fixtures, caps, ASA's are all smoke and mirrors. If they want to give Brisbane a PP they will, regardless of the circumstances.

If I still lived in Melbourne I would follow the Swans but basically support local comps. That's where the true football is played. Anyway that is well off topic.

Good luck to the tigers.

Funny - why only use first round draft picks? Why not use all players? Also using a very broad definition of 'homesick'. Mitch Clark was so homesick he went to a city 3000km from his home. Cameron Wood was from Adelaide and went to Collingwood. Once again, clearly not homesick. Lachie Henderson was traded for Fevola, I never heard anything about homesickness. And surely you're not claiming Brennan as homesick....well I guess you are because you need to to get even close to the -10 number you're claiming. lol....so homesick he moved up the road.
So you might want to adjust your figures - they're complete ratshit.

Try and find the underlying problem - maybe it's cultural within the club.

Crazy Vossy and a board that was so bad the AFL had to help 'fix' them....Yeah, it's only homesickness that causes them to lose players.

OK so they got exactly what the rules provided for. Finish X, get Y. Kinda evens out when we're getting pick 6 in a watered-down draft for finishing second-last.

What we're talking about here is "special assistance", going cap-in-hand to the AFL and begging for an as-yet unspecified handout.

OK, so Melbourne tried it on last year. It got knocked on the head. Rightly.
It did, but IMO the main reason it got knocked on the head is that Melbourne had already had significant prior draft concessions, AND they *didn't* tank and they were also expected to be able to get a decent compo for Frawley.

Brisbane haven't had any draft concessions, nor any inflated benefit from the academy system (nor will they given the new rules will only give them a marginal benefit) and they haven't tanked. Admittedly they may benefit from a FA compo.

I also look back to 2013 and remember how they were reamed by clubs poaching their talent. I mean, pick 25 for Billy Longer a former #8 draft pick from two years previously. Jared Polec, a former #5 trade for a couple of measly upgrades. Sam Docherty, originally a #12, sent to Carlton for #33. All of those players developed adequately by Brisbane and now regulars at their new clubs.

All that said, I no longer think any club should get a pre-1st round pp any more due to the risk of tanking. But a post-1st round pick IMO would be reasonable.

(*delete as appropriate)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never said anything about anything being Collingwood's fault:confused: Was merely pointing out the irony of some comments from Pies and Hawks fans. And what do you mean by "Don't mention other vic clubs ok, just always use collingwood for your point cos it's our fault"? I literally mentioned the Hawks in the same sentence:D
why use collingwood then and not just the hawks?? or another club???? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Who knows what effect it has? All sorts of permutations are invoked by pushing the other 17 clubs down a place.

Brisbane's had an extremely young side for the past two seasons. There's plenty of talent there and as other have remarked, the list is hardly a basket case. Allow it time to knit and see what happens.
Look, at the end of the day you are absolutely losing your mind in anger and frustration at the thought of the Lions receiving a priority pick. Take a step back and put things into perspective for a second, what is the source of this whole thread/discussion? An article written by Jay Clark with no factual evidence that the Lions are actually asking for a PP including no quotes in relation to this issue from the club. There is a good chance you are getting worked up over literally nothing here.

Only about 20 points and a percentage of about 50% off finals last year. Close enough.

You were playing well though, the year before you did okay. Not as if you have come last for 3 years running. You have had a poor year, what club hasn't had a bad season? It happens.

I used the Hawks and Demons in addition to the Pies because I found comments from fans of those three clubs in this thread ironic. Stop being so precious and taking everything so personally in regards to the club you follow.
your making your self look silly with all the excuses but but but. oh well you get a good laugh on bigfooty :)
always other clubs fault i see and not your team by always talking about what other clubs have got lol must be a sad life always having to use other clubs as an excuse.;) no point replying to me it's boring.

Last edited:
You were playing well though, the year before you did okay. Not as if you have come last for 3 years running. You have had a poor year, what club hasn't had a bad season? It happens.

Exactly this. If the lions finish next season with 2 wins or less and 2 wins or less the season after then sure, maybe a priority pick. However priority picks only bring in young talent and as i've said before and as everyone who has followed the afl since priority picks were introduced, freshly drafted players don't make a big difference to a teams fortunes at least 99% of the time.

Exactly this. If the lions finish next season with 2 wins or less and 2 wins or less the season after then sure, maybe a priority pick. However priority picks only bring in young talent and as i've said before and as everyone who has followed the afl since priority picks were introduced, freshly drafted players don't make a big difference to a teams fortunes at least 99% of the time.

Bingo. Have said it last year and I'll say it again. If a priority pick is granted it should have to be traded to get experience or good solid players. That is how you improve your position. The next 18 year old kid could well be a flop...then what? You are back to square 1.

The only way I agree with one being given is for one or 2 to be 'given' to Brisbane but they MUST be traded away. Another 18 year old kid isn't going to help on field success in 2016.

We would probably just offer the pick 2 to GWS for Patton. I'd be very happy with Patton. Whether GWS take the offer is another story. If they did I don't know if the other teams are any happier.

Look, at the end of the day you are absolutely losing your mind in anger and frustration at the thought of the Lions receiving a priority pick. Take a step back and put things into perspective for a second, what is the source of this whole thread/discussion? An article written by Jay Clark with no factual evidence that the Lions are actually asking for a PP including no quotes in relation to this issue from the club. There is a good chance you are getting worked up over literally nothing here.

Yeah I've posted a lot of shit on this thread and regret it. But as long as this topic keeps bobbing up, I won't promise not to do it again!

Times like these I'm glad I'm a Lions fan. Outsiders just don't pay attention to our games to see just how poorly we've played these past few years. Even with Voss...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back