Bruce Springsteen

Remove this Banner Ad

Not anymore. Has been done though.

Such an incredible powerful track. The organ to open the song is so haunting in its lonely isolation. And to take the song out with just the drums to signify what I interpret as a heartbeat, very powerful.

'You said heroes were needed, so heroes get made'. Fantastic line.

And an acoustic

And for good measure, here's another great track off Magic -

Favourite or what I think are best? Big difference for me.

Girls would be my favourite, but I think Devil's Arcade is by far the strongest track on there, then Long Walk Home or Girls.
Could not agree more strongly...Devils Arcade is one his very, very best tracks of all time IMHO. Having said that, it would be a absolute dud track live, whilst Long Walk Home is fantastic on stage.

I love the Magic album. The "wall of sound" mixing that it had been criticised for is exactly what makes the album for me.

Could not agree more strongly...Devils Arcade is one his very, very best tracks of all time IMHO. Having said that, it would be a absolute dud track live, whilst Long Walk Home is fantastic on stage.

I love the Magic album. The "wall of sound" mixing that it had been criticised for is exactly what makes the album for me.
I would go as far to say that it's one of his best post Reunion tracks.

And I'd love to hear it live. Would be intense and moving IMO.

What is the historical background to Devil's Arcade?

Is there one?

Or is it metaphor for the war in Iraq/Afghanistan?

DYK that the opening night of Melbourne 2003 was the same day as the Usa invaded Iraq. IIRC he opened with ''War".
On that night, he actually opened with the solo, twangy 12 string Born in the USA, before launching into War. Despite the critics, I thought that was a great show (it had Backstreets as well:))

Think it's about a solider who has died in war told with the perspective of his partner.

And yep, he was apparently mighty pissed that night too.
I always thought that it was about a soldier returned from Iraq who is suffering terribly from PTSD, narrated by his partner. whatever it is, it's just bloody brilliant.

I'm really looking forward to Jan/Feb.

2013 tour was a whirlwind. We thought it'd be our only chance to see him here and it was difficult to attend shows and move out of the "awestruck" feeling.

2014 tour was so much fun and the set lists were so versatile and yet we waved him off stage thinking "This is likely to be the last time..."

Now we get to experience it all again, almost as a reward for how good those tours were, but I think this time from a perspective of pure appreciation. It will be fantastic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On that night, he actually opened with the solo, twangy 12 string Born in the USA, before launching into War. Despite the critics, I thought that was a great show (it had Backstreets as well:))

It was a s**t show because...
A. DOCKLANDS
b. Over priced gold seats that were on the far wing 100m from the stage.

I'm really looking forward to Jan/Feb.

2013 tour was a whirlwind. We thought it'd be our only chance to see him here and it was difficult to attend shows and move out of the "awestruck" feeling.

2014 tour was so much fun and the set lists were so versatile and yet we waved him off stage thinking "This is likely to be the last time..."

Now we get to experience it all again, almost as a reward for how good those tours were, but I think this time from a perspective of pure appreciation. It will be fantastic.

So this.

I can't believe I am seeing two weekends in a row.

It was a s**t show because...
A. DOCKLANDS
b. Over priced gold seats that were on the far wing 100m from the stage.
Spot on...however, I loved it. I hadn't seen a full band Bruce gig for 18 years and I thought the music was great. stadium gigs are s**t though....I'd never go back to Docklands or the MCG for a gig again and I'm even giving AAMI Park a miss this time around and just going to Adelaide and Hanging Rock pit.

Spot on...however, I loved it. I hadn't seen a full band Bruce gig for 18 years and I thought the music was great. stadium gigs are s**t though....I'd never go back to Docklands or the MCG for a gig again and I'm even giving AAMI Park a miss this time around and just going to Adelaide and Hanging Rock pit.

The main problem I had with the Docklands show was the horrendous echo that ruined the sound coming from the stage. The closed roof obviously played havoc with the acoustics. I have never gone back there for a concert but people who I have spoken to who saw ACDC and U2 at Docklands swear there was no issue for those shows. I can only assume the noise trapping roof was open on those nights. I would love to see Adele live but I would want an assurance the roof would be open before I shelled out for a ticket to that one.

I saw the Stones and the Police at the G and thought it a fairly sterile place to experience music but that is the case with any huge Sports stadium. AAMI is one also but is much smaller and far more intimate. I was in GA down the front in 2014 and it was great there but friends of mine who were sitting up in the Stands reported an excellent concert experience also. We were blessed to get Springsteen at RL in 2013 but AAMI is the next best and I'm happy enough to go there again.

The main problem I had with the Docklands show was the horrendous echo that ruined the sound coming from the stage. The closed roof obviously played havoc with the acoustics. I have never gone back there for a concert but people who I have spoken to who saw ACDC and U2 at Docklands swear there was no issue for those shows. I can only assume the noise trapping roof was open on those nights. I would love to see Adele live but I would want an assurance the roof would be open before I shelled out for a ticket to that one.

I saw the Stones and the Police at the G and thought it a fairly sterile place to experience music but that is the case with any huge Sports stadium. AAMI is one also but is much smaller and far more intimate. I was in GA down the front in 2014 and it was great there but friends of mine who were sitting up in the Stands reported an excellent concert experience also. We were blessed to get Springsteen at RL in 2013 but AAMI is the next best and I'm happy enough to go there again.

Great call.

Stadium sound has improved massively worldwide in the last 5 years or so though.

I finished the book last week. Absolutely fantastic read and will definitely read again at some point. Many wonderfully constructed phrases.

Read the article at following link which concludes with
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/ne...e-to-do-the-unthinkable-hear-bruce-springste/

Next week (November 22), Springsteen will be awarded the 2016 Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Obama. It will be one of the President's final acts in office.
Thought this was a waste when I first heard about it, but the more I think about it. The more I want it. I usually tune out listening to other people read, but hearing him read his story, with his phrasing would definitely grab my attention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back