paddy18

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2009
Whoville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, BorussiaDortmund
Two songs I was hoping wouldn't be played and were: Candy's Room and She's the One. Not tomorrow please.

Finally found somebody else who isn't a big fan of She's the One.

Apart from Max's pounding beat and a half decent sax solo, it really hasn't got much else going for it. I love the BTR album to bits, but I've always skipped this tune.

To be fair, when a song is listed on album surrounded by BTR, Thunder Road, Jungleland and Backstreets, it's always going come off looking kind of lightweight.

paddy18

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2009
Whoville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Back in Your Arms was actually played at that Pittsburgh show I saw (tightly and functionally) and was the fondest and brightest memory I had of that show while I was waiting in line last night. Never in my daydream did I imagine I'd be getting a sequel.

Feel the same way about the version on Back in Your Arms we were lucky to see in Adelaide in 2014. I really didn't know the song that well back then, but it was a really powerful and quite emotional performance of what really is a great tune. It obviously means something to him and he really put his heart into it that night. I'll never forget it.

Got a tweet alert from Garry W Talent and noticed this cool drawing of him a few tweets down. The linked story tells of his first ever solo tour/run in June.

Last edited:

DrVanNostrand

Premiership Player
Dec 14, 2011
129 West 81st
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Great analysis!

The Pittsburgh show in 2014, woah! He did I Wanna Be With You there, which is now one of my favourite songs, and because of THAT version. So incredibly jealous.

Glad you enjoyed last night mate.

He hasn't done Streets so it's possible. We got Downbound in Sydney 1 (he played it at one of the Perth shows). Serenade will be done again for sure.

Oh, and why don't you like Candy and She's The One?

Thanks mate. Yeah Pittsburgh was a great memory I'll hold on to for a long time. A much cheaper ticket as well haha. I was going through a pretty rough patch on a very long solo trip and I really needed that show at the time.

Candy and She's the One just bug me for some reason. No idea why. She's the One, probably just for being the weakest song on Born to Run in my view. It's fun live, just wish it wasn't played as much as it is. Candy just has nothing going for it as far as I can tell. So many better Darkness songs that could get a run. I just watch Max during the whole song haha.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Thanks mate. Yeah Pittsburgh was a great memory I'll hold on to for a long time. A much cheaper ticket as well haha. I was going through a pretty rough patch on a very long solo trip and I really needed that show at the time.

Candy and She's the One just bug me for some reason. No idea why. She's the One, probably just for being the weakest song on Born to Run in my view. It's fun live, just wish it wasn't played as much as it is. Candy just has nothing going for it as far as I can tell. So many better Darkness songs that could get a run. I just watch Max during the whole song haha.
Oh I see. Well at least you got there and enjoyed it :)

Ah fair enough then. Can't like 'em all haha! I love She's The One, drum beat is great. Would obviously choose others above it, but I don't loathe it.

Enjoy tonight, for all of us in this thread who aren't there!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DrVanNostrand

Premiership Player
Dec 14, 2011
129 West 81st
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Well if last night was my last ever show, it was certainly a show I'm happy to finish on. The same Serenade intro, exactly what I was hoping for. I think it was even better than Tuesday night. And it didn't let up from there. Roll of the Dice, Fire (the strongest pit crowd response to a first few opening notes all night) Mary's Place (sign request written on a bed sheet sprawled across five women in the seats halfway up behind the stage, farthest from the stage I've seen a sign request granted), Jungleland, Downbound Train, I'm on Fire, Long Time Comin', there's no walking away dissapointed after that. And we got treated to Radio Nowhere blasting through the gaps in the arena doors during the soundcheck.

I'll admit I had no idea what the two covers were at the time haha. The River blew me away both nights, and to think it's never been on my radar as far as favourites go. Out in the Street was especially good as far as the every nighters go.

Two moments will stand out in my memory for a long time. The deathly silence during I'm on Fire. No one dared utter a breath, it was haunting. It's the kind of song that unites the casuals and diehards into the same thinking for just a few minutes. And the way he just holds the final note in "I'll take you higher" just a little bit longer than on record makes any live rendition better than the album version. The other, Jake and Bruce's semi-embrace as the lights dimmed while the final notes of Jungleland rung out. One of many goosebumps moments over the two nights.

Because the Night is such a cracking live song. It's the kind of song that the casuals don't know, yet by the end of it they're out of their seats rocking along with the hardcores to a song they'd never heard in their lIves. Nils had a bit of a stumble that brought his usual rotating solo to an early finish though haha. I'm glad this one gets played every night.

Oh, and Bruce inviting the kid up on stage to play Growin' Up was pretty cool. Part of me thinks he was a plant but it was great nonetheless. Beats kids singing Sunny Day every night of the week.

I'm prepared to rank last night as the third best show I've seen, behind Brisbane 2014 and Rod Laver 3 on the Wrecking Ball tour. Although he did remark to some Canadians in the front that he was "headed that way soon," so there could be more to come just yet. Luckily I have plenty of holidays saved up.

Last edited:

paddy18

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2009
Whoville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Over the past 6 days, I've found myself watching video after video of last Saturday Night's Hanging Rock gig, tearing up at the realisation that I'll probably never see anything like that again.

I have now seen Bruce 14 times over 6 different tours (with 32 years between No. 1 & No. 13) and I'd previously rated the pair of Adelaide gigs in 2014 as my favourites, but last Saturday night was on another level. I could tell about 3-4 songs in that this was something really special and it just got better and better. The Bobby Jean and solo acoustic Thunder Road ending is an absolute winner.

With regards to the past 3 tours, I'd rank the concerts that I have attended as follows:

1. Hanging Rock 2017

daylight

2. Adelaide 2 2014
3. Adelaide 1 2014
4. Rod Laver Arena 1 2013 (first Bruce gig since 2003)
5. Hanging Rock 2 2013
6. Rod Laver Arena 3 2013
7. Hanging Rock 1 2013
8. Adelaide 2017
9, Rod Laver Arena 2 2013
10. AAMI Park 2 2014
11. AAMI Park 1 2014.

Just my take on things. Everybody is going to have different ranking based on setlists, their position in the pit or the stands, the venue and even the attitude of the people around them

Truth be known, I have loved every single Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band concert that I have been lucky enough to attend (even The Rising tour gig at Docklands in 2003).

We are all so fortunate to have had the opportunity to see him do what he does best....it really has been a life changing experience.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Over the past 6 days, I've found myself watching video after video of last Saturday Night's Hanging Rock gig, tearing up at the realisation that I'll probably never see anything like that again.

I have now seen Bruce 14 times over 5 different tours (with 32 years between No. 1 & No. 13) and I'd previously rated the pair of Adelaide gigs in 2014 as my favourites, but last Saturday night was on another level. I could tell about 3-4 songs in that this was something really special and it just got better and better. The Bobby Jean and solo acoustic Thunder Road is an absolute winner.

With regards to the past 3 tours, I'd rank the concerts that I have attended as follows:

1. Hanging Rock 2017

daylight

2. Adelaide 2 2014
3. Adelaide 1 2014
4. Rod Laver Arena 1 2013 (first Bruce gig since 2003)
5. Hanging Rock 2 2013
6. Rod Laver Arena 3 2013
7. Hanging Rock 1 2013
8. Adelaide 2017
9, Rod Laver Arena 2 2013
10. AAMI Park 2 2014
11. AAMI Park 1 2014.

Just my take on things. Everybody is going to have different ranking based on setlists, their position in the pit or the stands, the venue and even the attitude of the people around them

Truth be known, I have loved every single Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band concert that I have been lucky enough to attend (even The Rising tour gig at Docklands in 2003).

We are all so fortunate to have had the opportunity to see him do what he does best....it really has been a life changing experience.

Wow last Saturday no 1 hey!?

Even so far away its was fun.

I see the two Melbourne shows, the Thursday and Saturday are both up now for download.

I just feel sad that two exciting Saturdays are over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back