Roast Bucks Starts The Booing Debate

Should the thread be shut down

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ventured onto the Swans board to give my commiserations.
Apparently they lost because the crowd booed Buddy.

I assume the pain of the loss will ease in the next 24 hours and their mods will tell some of their stupider poster to STFU.

Obviously not why they lost …

… but to fair it seems a bit classless and silly to boo Franklin. Dunno why people would do it?!?

Just shut up Nathan. Fancy having a crack at the fans that gave you nothing but love, even through your time as a failed coach. Don't mention the Papley boos or the physical intimidation tactics on a 20 year old superstar, whacking him off the ball. Virtue signalling oxygen thief!!

Nathan Buckley slams Collingwood fans for abusing Lance ‘Buddy’ Franklin during Swans clash​

Collingwood great Nathan Buckley has hit out at club fans for abusing Lance Franklin, labelling it inconsistent with the club’s overall mantra this year.

Collingwood great Nathan Buckley has hit out at Magpies fans for booing an “undisputed champion” of the game in Lance Franklin, labelling it inconsistent with the club’s overall mantra this year.
Franklin was noticeably booed by a section of the Magpie Army each time he marked the ball during Collingwood’s win over Sydney at the MCG on Sunday.
Franklin, 36, managed just one behind from 13 disposals and six marks in the match.

“I love the Collingwood faithful, but I’ve got a message (for them),” Buckley said.
“Your team is the toast of the town and they’re handling themselves on and off the field with class and poise.
“So, let’s try and fall into line on the other side of the fence.

“At best, it was a begrudging acknowledgment of the sustained brilliance Franklin has brought against Collingwood and at worst, it’s ignorance and bigotry.”

Franklin was noticeably booed by a section of the Magpie Army each time he marked the ball

Franklin was noticeably booed by a section of the Magpie Army each time he marked the ball
Buckley said he hoped fans would be better next time.

“If we get another chance, I hope Collingwood fans that aren’t ignorant and that aren’t bigots - because there will be some booing - stand up and applaud every time he gets a touch and try and drown that (booing) out,” he said on SEN radio.

“That’s exactly what the stars of the game and his status in the game deserves.

“We were gifted an opportunity to celebrate this undisputed champion and a section of the faithful chose to denigrate. I don’t think that we took the opportunity to do the right thing and take the higher ground.”

Sydney coach John Longmire also expressed surprise over the booing in what was Franklin’s first game against Collingwood at the MCG since he wore Hawthorn colours in 2013.
“Why would you boo him?” Longmire said.

“You’d probably celebrate a 36-year-old, wouldn’t you? Who’s been a champion of the game.

“It’s been 10 years since he played Collingwood here. Why would you boo one of the champions of the game? It doesn’t make sense.”

As expected. Longmire creates a diversion from his teams ongoing poor performances - and the media run with it.
No he didn't. He just answered a question from a journo. The answer was not too dissimilar to Fly's answer about the same question - except a bit dumber.

No he didn't. He just answered a question from a journo. The answer was not too dissimilar to Fly's answer about the same question - except a bit dumber.
Could easily have made it a non issue but chose otherwise- knowing it would create alternative headlines, to those about his poor performing team.

Im confused. Did we invent booing or something yesterday? What a *n typical media load of s**t
Yep. The way I see it the stuff about it being bad to boo Buddy, because he's a champion of the game, gives us the green light to boo everyone else.

Nathan Buckley slams Collingwood fans for abusing Lance ‘Buddy’ Franklin during Swans clash​

Collingwood great Nathan Buckley has hit out at club fans for abusing Lance Franklin, labelling it inconsistent with the club’s overall mantra this year.

Collingwood great Nathan Buckley has hit out at Magpies fans for booing an “undisputed champion” of the game in Lance Franklin, labelling it inconsistent with the club’s overall mantra this year.
Franklin was noticeably booed by a section of the Magpie Army each time he marked the ball during Collingwood’s win over Sydney at the MCG on Sunday.
Franklin, 36, managed just one behind from 13 disposals and six marks in the match.

“I love the Collingwood faithful, but I’ve got a message (for them),” Buckley said.
“Your team is the toast of the town and they’re handling themselves on and off the field with class and poise.

“At best, it was a begrudging acknowledgment of the sustained brilliance Franklin has brought against Collingwood and at worst, it’s ignorance and bigotry.”

“If we get another chance, I hope Collingwood fans that aren’t ignorant and that aren’t bigots - because there will be some booing - stand up and applaud every time he gets a touch and try and drown that (booing) out,” he said on SEN radio.

“We were gifted an opportunity to celebrate this undisputed champion and a section of the faithful chose to denigrate. I don’t think that we took the opportunity to do the right thing and take the higher ground.”

Sydney coach John Longmire also expressed surprise over the booing in what was Franklin’s first game against Collingwood at the MCG since he wore Hawthorn colours in 2013.

“You’d probably celebrate a 36-year-old, wouldn’t you? Who’s been a champion of the game.

“It’s been 10 years since he played Collingwood here. Why would you boo one of the champions of the game? It doesn’t make sense.”
I switch off when Bucks is talking on SEN. Nothing original comes out of his mouth. He is as boring as his gameplan. Anyone who asks "why would you boo a champion?" is a fool. The answer is as old as human nature. Because he is not our champion. That is what makes the game of Aussie Rules and any other serious sport. Us against them. If Buddy had come to Collingwood he would have been worshipped by those who now boo him. Buckley was booed throughout his career. Perhaps he is really saying, "Why did they boo me?" Champions feed off the opposition negativity just as being tagged is an inverted compliment, so too is booing.

What a pathetic statement. He wants the Collingwood army to celebrate this undisputed champion who has broken our hearts on so many occasions and strutted about like he has a stick up his arse for 19 years. I will clap him when he retires and does a lap of honour, I have never booed anyone in my life but I will defend the right of fans to boo till my dying day.

You boo champions because they usually have a history of hurting your own team's chances of victory. You boo champions because they don't play for your team. You boo champions just because you can.

I wasn't one of the ones booing Buddy yesterday. But I am curious when the media invented the image of Buddy as a universally loved champion of the game? I'd imagine most Pies fans still think of him as someone who has been a nightmare to play against, someone who single handedly destroyed us over more than a decade.

Also why wasn't booing of the likes of Dangerfield and Sam Mitchell called out like this one has been?

I wasn't one of the ones booing Buddy yesterday. But I am curious when the media invented the image of Buddy as a universally loved champion of the game? I'd imagine most Pies fans still think of him as someone who has been a nightmare to play against, someone who single handedly destroyed us over more than a decade.

Also why wasn't booing of the likes of Dangerfield and Sam Mitchell called out like this one has been?

It seems we should be applauding every touch he gets because it’ll likely be the last time we see him at the G

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with Bucks. I found it embarrassing, juvenile, ugly and totally unwarranted. It's a privilege to watch players like Buddy and I, personally was looking forward to watching him play against us on the G in his final year.

Only negative to a great win.

I agree with Bucks. I found it embarrassing, juvenile, ugly and totally unwarranted. It's a privilege to watch players like Buddy and I, personally was looking forward to watching him play against us on the G in his final year.

Only negative to a great win.
I didn't even notice it. Seriously, this is the big story of the weekend? I find the commentary on this subject ugly, juvenile, cringeworthy and totally unwarranted.

It seems we should be applauding every touch he gets because it’ll likely be the last time we see him at the G

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I find the selective outrage quite disturbing too. The media almost invited the mob to boo Jack Ginnivan, a young kid in his first year yet they have a meltdown because a 20 year vet who has been lauded and feted like no other player copped a smattering of boos from opposition fans.

I just listened to buckley. I dont have any problem with it. If you have a right to boo, you have a right to disagree with it. I do agree that it is mentioned too much. I have a mental picture of the people doing it and any media on it is only going to encourage them. Buckley ironically said the same thing. Unfortunately, a 2 year old will keep doing the wrong thing if they're enjoying it, and I dont think anyone shutting up is going to stop the booers from having their fun day out. There is a long history of australians booing in sport and john snow and richard hadley and stuart broad would tell you that. It's not new and it's not specific to the Pies.

I didn't even notice it. Seriously, this is the big story of the weekend? I find the commentary on this subject ugly, juvenile, cringeworthy and totally unwarranted.

I'm not sure how you could not have heard it if you were at the game.

He did get booed every time he touched the ball and I have no idea why.

Same when we played Port and JHF got booed every time he touched the ball.

I, personally don't understand it.

I understand why if an incident has happened during the game and a player has been hurt intentionally by an oppo player, or when the opposition is going for a goal to put them off, or the first game against an ex player who has chosen to leave the club, or when an oppo player who has said something negative about the club publicly...but I simply don't get why Buddy or JHF, for example were booed by our supporters.

And I'm not sure those that do it, know exactly why either. Maybe it's just because the bloke next to them is booing... ? Some type of mob mentality..which seems to be pretty juvenile.

Can't really blame the media or the coaches in this instance for asking why? All the Pie supporters around me were asking the same thing.

I'm not sure how you could not have heard it if you were at the game.

He did get booed every time he touched the ball and I have no idea why.

Same when we played Port and JHF got booed every time he touched the ball.

I, personally don't understand it.

I understand why if an incident has happened during the game and a player has been hurt intentionally by an oppo player, or when the opposition is going for a goal to put them off, or the first game against an ex player who has chosen to leave the club, or when an oppo player who has said something negative about the club publicly...but I simply don't get why Buddy or JHF, for example were booed by our supporters.

And I'm not sure those that do it, know exactly why either. Maybe it's just because the bloke next to them is booing... ? Some type of mob mentality..which seems to be pretty juvenile.

Can't really blame the media in or the coaches in this instance for asking why? All the Pie supporters around me were asking the same thing.

I heard it. Pies fans around me were asking - why are some of us booing Buddy?

LOL Honestly, I think it's ridiculous. If I went to the game, would I boo? No..... Would I care if others boo'd? No..... Would I care if Nathan Buckley talked about it? Also No..... People have a lot going on in their lives to care about this kind of stuff.

Im confused. Did we invent booing or something yesterday? What a *n typical media load of s**t

It’s a free society, we are free to boo who we damn well please.

But actions still have consequences.

The media (and others) are also free to call us out for being a bunch of classless curmudgeons for booing a champion of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back