Military_man

Premiership Player
May 11, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
Just curious just what ball is the better football.. I own both and i find the sherrin a little longer and sharper in shape as for the Burley its a more rounded ball and seems to be better in wet weather.. The AFL prefer Sherrin but the WAFL prefer Burley.. Both around the same price. So who thinks which ball is actually a better ball ?

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pained me, as a West Australian, to select Sherrin. But I'm cool with using a Burley. Basically all levels of football use the Burley exclusively, so I'd like to think I'm experienced with both. The Burley floats a little more and is slightly rounder, but it's negligible. For the most part, you can barely notice it.

Kim Hagdorn

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
They are slightly different and I'd probably rate them about the same but Burleys are better value for money, last longer are and are a bit cheaper.

Apr 12, 2011
Yarraville
AFL Club
Sydney
Do they still make Fawkners? I used to have one as a kid.
Even though Im a Victorian I quite liked Faulkners, they had much pointier (not as round) ends and the kicks seemed a lot more accurate when you got the right spots. The only downside was if you got a lot of the ball you'd have sore feet at the end of the game :p :p

The Chessons were good as well, though a little on the heavy side, have never kicked a Burley though....

Blood Bath

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2012
Norf Shore of Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Norwich, Detroit Pistons
9-474-Y.jpg

These ones you get from eastershow showbags are the best

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
what ever happened to the Ross Faulkner footys?

Do they still make them?

They used to use them in the old VFA, nice balls for kicking a torp bit I found them too pointy on the ends, they used to hurt my feet.

I played 2 years using Burleys, didn't like them at all, so it Sherrins for me. I had a Lyrebird footy as a kid and loved it, Kookaburra weren't bad either.

Yes, factory in Thomastown, still Aussie made. Great prices too. Best footys to kick barrels with, they fly
yeah I remember using them in junior footy and just hadn't seen or heard of them for years

Geoff

Premium Platinum
May 13, 2004
W.A.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Chesson for mine as a kid, lighter and better shape than a Burley.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Lip Gallagher

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just curious just what ball is the better football.. I own both and i find the sherrin a little longer and sharper in shape as for the Burley its a more rounded ball and seems to be better in wet weather.. The AFL prefer Sherrin but the WAFL prefer Burley.. Both around the same price. So who thinks which ball is actually a better ball ?
Yep, Burley a fatter ball, both quality balls but Sherrin for me, get more swing from round the corner kicks with a Sherrin but both are similar with traditional set shots, Burley probably better from set shots within 40 but I feel you get more distance from a Sherrin.

Back