Burton and Broad tackles

Remove this Banner Ad

Broad should get four and I think he will.

Then I will be looking forward to all of the apology posts from tin-foil hatters here who since Sat arvo have asserted a pro Richmond and anti Adelaide AFL tribunal bias...
Agree - he held him for at least 3 seconds before dumping Parnell.....what was he thinking?

2 for Burton is an absolute joke. Elliot in the process of trying to kick the ball contributes to the action. Maybe a week at the most for a reckless tackle. Pickett leaves the ground and makes deliberate high contact to the head and only gets 2 weeks. Same crap every year.
It doesn’t seem to matter if you only pin one arm.So many times over the last 3/4 years and I think I’m correct in referencing Robbie Gray with the tackler also being a Richmond player might have been broad?where the tackled player holds onto the ball with their free arm rather than letting it fall free and having a chance to buffer the potential contact also nicnat got done once for the same thing even though I don’t think he pinned either arm
Just seems if you have the opportunity to further protect yourself you should and think Burton is unlucky as only had pinned the one arm but given the state of the game will just take his two

Same player Wehr - bumped again, now he was injured and taken from the field, didn't have the ball when bumped

Unfortunately for the bumping player, the McAdam precedent should see him miss weeks for that...I wonder what the AFL will do here

As per the rules, it needs to be a "reportable offence" before you get to the "potential to cause injury" consideration.

Bumping a player in the side/body in a contest, with no direct or incidental contact to the head, is not and has never been a reportable offence.

So Christian sends Broad off to the tribunal, to get either 3 or 4 weeks. Couldn’t have Christian decided that? They send him off to the Tribunal as if he’s looking at 25 to life. Can’t he just make a decision and then appeal from that? Or do I have no idea?

So on the basis of this suspension, Broad's tackle is the same as this

Should be 2/3 weeks based on the concussion. But if we are going down this route of harsh penalties to dissuade the action, then all tackles that give away the "Dangerous Tackle" free need to be reported and given 1 week off then.

So on the basis of this suspension, Broad's tackle is the same as this

Should be 2/3 weeks based on the concussion. But if we are going down this route of harsh penalties to dissuade the action, then all tackles that give away the "Dangerous Tackle" free need to be reported and given 1 week off then.

Broad was more premeditated, Stewwie was split-second but he copped his punishment on the chin. Broad will have to do the same here.

Broad was more premeditated, Stewwie was split-second but he copped his punishment on the chin. Broad will have to do the same here.
I could argue that both were premeditated and that both were split second decisions. The fact of the matter is that the Tom Stewart one of going past the ball to bump has been an action they have wanted to get rid of for years. I remember Buddy got 1 or 2 weeks for running past the ball and up-ending Cousins when he played for us. Pretty sure Buddy didnt even make head high contact in that bump either.

The Broad tackle is one that is going to occur either by accident (poor technique) or due to the umpires not blowing the whistle to make a decision quickly enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Four weeks for Broad is about right. Standard has now been set for the season. Don’t want to hear complaints from posters in here when it is their player getting the suspension

Precedent tells you that 3 weeks would have been the right mark, but if they want to set the standard I can live with 4, but its the constant inconsistency out of the MRO that frustrates most.

4 weeks for this vs 4 weeks for Stewart doesn't sit right, and when you put it against last weeks 2 weeks for Pickett, its really difficult to see consistency in decision making.

We are constantly told that the "action" is what drives the penalty not the outcome yet that clearly isn't the case. Very little difference between Burton and Broad, Broads probably slightly worse hence why I thought 3 weeks, but double the punishment?

Similar to last week, out of the 2 bumps, Picketts was clearly the more dangerous action but got less than McAdam.

Personally I think Christian and his constant inconsistency, needs to be removed from the AFL and clearer guidelines as to punishment need to be aligned with what the game is trying to do. The inconsistency that we've seen over the first 2 weeks is confusing to supporter and probably the players / clubs also. Christian is past his sell by date.

Out for 4 weeks and the players still won't learn. Watch another dude get dumped on his head this week.
Yes but that's because tackling is part of the game and players are told to pin the arms and turn the player. It'll happen from time to time, in my view, forever because to otherwise not pin the arms of a player allows them to distribute the ball and if you don't turn them in the tackle they fight through it.

I think there's actually something to be said for the umpires taking so long to either blow for a ball up or holding the ball in how these sling tackles manifest. 20 and 30 years ago they'd be much quicker on the whistle to indicate a stoppage if the ball was pinned or alternatively holding the ball and the players at the time therefore didn't have to fully take blokes to ground. These days players get an eternity to try and dispose of the ball because there's a directive to keep the ball in play and minimise stoppage and if we're going to do everything in our power to try and stop these incidents it warrants looking at.

On Broad, I personally thought 3 was his fair whack given that the 3 blokes that bumped last week all got less for a much easier action to eradicate. The tribunal really needs an overhaul to make things either outcome or action based because at the moment there is widespread confusion about how things should be graded.

Out for 4 weeks and the players still won't learn. Watch another dude get dumped on his head this week.
Yep
I reckon the tribunal could announce ever increasing penalties. An extreme example might be "OK Broad, You get 4. The next player to do this gets 5. The one after that, 6. So on and so forth."
That'd clean it up.

The Broad one was a disgusting action and 4 weeks is a good outcome. Such a dangerous situation, could've been so much worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back