Butler tackle on Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

How? How? HOW?

I'll tell you how. Because Cincotta got back up unharmed. That's how. Tackling technique has nothing to do with it. If he'd been knocked out then Merrett is straight to the tribunal as well.

Blakey wasn’t knocked out. Explain that.

How about the fact that there have been over a dozen players suspended for dangerous tackles this year where the players being tackled played out the game? Is that just my opinion too?
And some (maybe all) of them WERE dangerous tackles. This one I don’t think so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lewis on AFL360 said that Butler should've done a hip drop tackle instead...

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

Banned in other sports for crippling players, but yeah, great idea Lewy. This league is absolutely lost.

So Merrett. No ball. Arm pinned. Head impact. No questions asked... Are they f!@#ing joking??

1686601772086.png

I agree completely with Crankyhawk when they said, "* you afl, * you".

Lewis on AFL360 said that Butler should've done a hip drop tackle instead...

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

Banned in other sports for crippling players, but yeah, great idea Lewy. This league is absolutely lost.

So Merrett. No ball. Arm pinned. Head impact. No questions asked... Are they f!@#ing joking??

View attachment 1711524

I agree completely with Crankyhawk when they said, "* you afl, * you".

Its beyond incompetence. The AFL simply have zero clue what they are doing. They hand out different numbers of weeks for the same type of incident and then they let players get away with the same incidents with no charge.

Bont obviously because he is Bont and always gets a heap of Brownlow votes, but Merrett has already been suspended so cant win. Why is his arm pin tackle where the player is driven in to the ground and hits his head any different to Butler's?

Surely a part of the Butler defence is to show the Merrett tackle and say "see, there is nothing wrong here" ?

Its beyond incompetence. The AFL simply have zero clue what they are doing. They hand out different numbers of weeks for the same type of incident and then they let players get away with the same incidents with no charge.

Bont obviously because he is Bont and always gets a heap of Brownlow votes, but Merrett has already been suspended so cant win. Why is his arm pin tackle where the player is driven in to the ground and hits his head any different to Butler's?

Surely a part of the Butler defence is to show the Merrett tackle and say "see, there is nothing wrong here" ?

Also, Blakey's arm was free. Also, Blakey had the ball all throughout the tackle. Also, Blakey has a twig for a neck that can't even hold its own weight.
Plenty of other similar tackles in that very same match where the tackled player keeps his head up, probably both a conscious effort and due to stronger necks. Seriously.

Also, Blakey's arm was free. Also, Blakey had the ball all throughout the tackle. Also, Blakey has a twig for a neck that can't even hold its own weight.
Plenty of other similar tackles in that very same match where the tackled player keeps his head up, probably both a conscious effort and due to stronger necks. Seriously.
Well that's just incorrect, he loses the ball immediately. I don't expect butler to realise that though because he positions himself behind Blakey where he loses sight of the pill.

Well that's just incorrect, he loses the ball immediately. I don't expect butler to realise that though because he positions himself behind Blakey where he loses sight of the pill.

I stand corrected! Thanks.
Still baffling that Blakey had an arm free, Merrett pinned the arm. One sighted, one isn't. And it's even in the same damn round!

Blakey didn't see the tackle coming at all and hence why he went down so easily. That is not the tackler's fault.

Accidents can happen on the field that lead to concussion and no one gets suspended. This shouldn't be any different as Butler didn't' sling him in two motions or pin his arms. He was also not concussed, it's on Sydney for going early.

This is the biggest load of bullshit by the AFL, complete morons. They can't be serious with this nonsense...

Flynn (AFL): You did not let Blakey's arms go with enough time for him to sufficiently brace himself. Do you agree?

Butler: No.

Flynn (AFL): The force you used was excessive force. Do you agree?

Butler: No.

Flynn (AFL) says this tackle "falls far below what a reasonable player would consider as prudent in all of the circumstances."

Flynn (AFL) says Butler could've released Blakey after he dropped the ball or not driven Blakey into the ground with the force that he did.

Flynn (AFL): Even though there wasn't any injury suffered, there was a potential to cause a concussion or neck injury given the force that was used.

ahh yes Sally Flynn a lawyer expressing to a player what can be changed mid tackle in a professional AFL match, based on the infiinite knowledge of her professional football career. This is why courtrooms use expert witnesses, so lawyers dont speak out of place
That's why there's former players (in this case Shane wakelin, Jason Johnson) to make the final decision, she's just presenting the AFLs argument. Chill out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back