Butler tackle on Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully Saints appeal and Butler gets off. It’s an utter farce this season. It’s stipulated you cannot sling, no double motion which Butler doesn’t do, yet is given a week, because the opposition is concussed and the “potential to cause injury” tripe. It’s footy, players are going to receive knocks to the head.

Looked like a textbook Rugby league tackle to me, the difference is Rugby League players know how the brace themselves when being tackled, and looking at the footage Blakey doesn't.

I hope St Kilda challenge and I hope Butler gets off.
You don't often get tackled from behind in league though

Reading this thread is so funny, he will get suspended for nothing but let’s face it the AFL convinced the sheep that head high contact is the fault of the player with the ball.
pretty much every step you take now is suspendable.

I'm not celebrating. I don't have the champagne and cigars out. I'm s**t posting on a forum.

Last year Parkers tackle on Walsh would have been HTB. Last year Butlers tackle on Blakey would have been htb.

There will be teething problems with the dangerous tackle rules/ punishments, but the MRO is actually being consistent this year with this (to the shock of all). 5 years from now there'll be no arguments, just "yep that's a week, tackle better".

There was nothing wrong with the tackle

There was nothing wrong with the tackle
Well the ump two meters away thought it was a dangerous tackle

Watch the angles from behind the umpire, pretty clear cut call

And the MRO thinks its careless conduct, medium impact and high contact, resulting in the one-game suspension.

So tell me more about how it's fine

You don't often get tackled from behind in league though
It occurs more often than you think. Occasionally you will see a ball carrier chased down from behind after making a break, but most wouldn't be too dissimilar to this one, where the ball carrier has managed to step through the defensive line and looks to be in the clear only for the tackler will cut them down from behind either with a ball and all tackle, or below the knees. With the below the knees tackle, the ball carrier will have one arm free to fall safely to the ground, but if it is a ball and all tackle there is the potential for a head injury if they hit the ground hard enough, but I can't remember one happening for a long time.

Rugby League players learn to how to brace themselves for impact while still in junior footy, but of course that doesn't stop concussions from happening, but most of the concussions in Rugby League come from a player not positioning themselves properly when making a tackle and getting a shoulder, hip or knee to the head, or accidental contact to the head or foul play. Thos ones are hard stop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm only just catching up on this now. Butler has been suspended? Ugh, this league is full sh*t these days.

Here's the quote:
"The rough conduct charge was graded as careless conduct, medium impact and high contact, resulting in the one-game suspension"

Careless? Nah I'm pretty sure he meant that perfect tackle.
Medium impact? How so? Blakey was fine apart from his unrelated toe.
High contact? Is this a joke?

It will probably be one of the top 5 best tackles for the weekend, and they've suspended him for it.

As Montagna said, "How can Blakey be vulnerable, he had the footy in the middle of a football field"

Too much BS to deal with in the AFL.

I understand, and support what the afl is trying to do with regard to concussion, but I also think there is a balance and sometimes a reasonable tackle may result in a head knock and that is unfortunately just how it is. This is one of them. No suspension for mine. Hope they appeal.

Or try and tackle them without taking them to ground
Do you know anything about physics? Momentum? Newton’s law?

This has escalated into something ridiculous now. The AFL, as per usual, have overreacted. This is a contact sport! This is why we love watching the game.

I really wanted West Coast to challenge Duggar’s suspension last week, equally ludicrous.

Players are already holding their heads after a tackle to get a free kick, it’s the new duck or shrug.

Do you know anything about physics? Momentum? Newton’s law?

This has escalated into something ridiculous now. The AFL, as per usual, have overreacted. This is a contact sport! This is why we love watching the game.

I really wanted West Coast to challenge Duggar’s suspension last week, equally ludicrous.

Players are already holding their heads after a tackle to get a free kick, it’s the new duck or shrug.
I also love watching the game. I love watching the best players play

But if players are missing weeks from concussions from dangerous tackles, then they've got to be stamped out.

There have been 19ish citations from dangerous tackles this year so far. Once the players adjust that number will drop to the roughly as many as players are getting done for bumps these days.

AFL actually being consistent with a plan for once and everyone is losing their minds.

The game will be fine. This is the same hand wringing from the "ban the bump" days

I also love watching the game. I love watching the best players play

But if players are missing weeks from concussions from dangerous tackles, then they've got to be stamped out.

There have been 19ish citations from dangerous tackles this year so far. Once the players adjust that number will drop to the roughly as many as players are getting done for bumps these days.

AFL actually being consistent with a plan for once and everyone is losing their minds.

The game will be fine. This is the same hand wringing from the "ban the bump" days

I don't think that you do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back