Play Nice Bye Bye Brad #3 [Locked: BS signs 2-year ext. Aug-2017, tied to NM until end 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't post these scoops often but make no mistake, Brendan McCartney's name is being heavily whispered around Arden St.

Tough, no bullshit coach who has gone through the very beat systems and has won the ultimate prize whilst there. Would crack our team in to shape in no time.

Expect the whispers to grow if this winless streak continues. Brad's career is definitely on a knife edge.

The same Brendan McCartney who couldn't win a game with the Bulldog list that has finished 6th the minute he left?

Oh s**t, that's where I know him from. We'd take Bomber Thompson without a doubt, arrogant flog and shifty to boot. As much as I'm no Bomber fan, maybe what we need? Coincidence Bomber states he's back looking for a gig and we're struggling with what seems a decent list, injuries aside......

The same Brendan McCartney who couldn't win a game with the Bulldog list that has finished 6th the minute he left?

Well, on that alone, north's rationale would be based on getting a budget level coach with nobody else flashing wads of cash in his direction. What could possibly go wrong?

Bloody hell that doesn't read good for the Brions that coaches don't want to coach them. With more players possibly leaving who would wan't to coach them anyway.

You're talking about an experienced 3x flag coach coach who has made his money outside of footy, so he is in a position to pick and choose his next role if he wants to.

I would expect an untried assistant to be much more receptive to the Lions role. Unfortunately they need an experienced coach.

Well, on that alone, north's rationale would be based on getting a budget level coach with nobody else flashing wads of cash in his direction. What could possibly go wrong?
Maybe that's exactly what this club needs. Tough no bull coach that has the players looking over their shoulder knowing a few bad performances and ur out,shake the place up get the players out of their comfort zone.
Doesn't have to be him specifically.....

Last edited:
What this club needs is a solid first quarter this Friday. Remember those? Our 3 bulls in the middle need to get real and get the ball to Wells, Dal & Clarke and, from there, start getting deep forward 50 entries. The rest will take care of itself, I reckon.

If Petrie was that physical, he would have some value up forward. The problem is he isn't. You would just be moving the problem somewhere else.

Our ball movement is too slow.

That is a symptom of other problems. We scored well when we play aggressively even when Petrie and Brown weren't kicking a lot of goals.

Nimble for what? Our slow fumbly ball movement along the boundary and the hack kicks with high hang-time up forward, Usain Bolt wouldn't find any space in our F50 the way we move the ball at present.

I agree. We have missed the pressure from guys like Garner and Turner, Waite's pressure is normally good. LT's pressure is not where it once was. Lack of forward pressure, particularly by the half-forwards is compounding problems with our lack of midfield pressure and accountability.

You should never move someone who is almost an AA defender to attempt to fix problems due to others not playing well. We have one position we don't need fixing, we don't need to **** that position up as well. The damage it would cause on the scoreboard is most likely going to be worse than the possible gain of Tarrant playing forward.

As bad as our defence is, it would play a lot better when there is pressure coming on the ball carrier when they go forwards. We play a zone defence, it doesn't function when there isn't adequate pressure. Injuries and personnel is only part of the problem, we don't have that many players who are in good form atm.
So basically we are F!@#ed.. Staying home on Friday now.

Would love to hear Brads plan if any on what he expects to do with the likes of Cunnington and Goldy before the finals? (Question marks on other players fitness too but won't go there)

He has to know that they are gradually getting worse and worse and our clearances and domination in the middle continues to dwindle

We've got Bulldogs, Sydney, Hawks (scared) and GWS coming up so does he think they are both going to get magically better? We got dominated by a defender last week around the ground? They can enjoy the 6 day breaks? How are they going to cope with finals pressure? Are they getting a rest? Will a rest even benefit? (After the bye they both looked just as bad if only worse)

I know the club bangs on about one game at a time but surely he some kind of plan as he's already choosing to play them through it. There has to be a plan in sight for the future, maybe I'm wrong

So basically we are F!@#ed.. Staying home on Friday now.

A club legend is equalling the all time games played record. Be there and support the team, and Boomer, like our voices will determine the result!

I'd be amazed if the whispers at Arden St are advanced enough for possible replacements to Brad Scott to be heavily covered and/or whispered by anyone of any influence at all. In fact, I doubt the topic of ending up Brad's coaching anytime soon has been seriously whispered at all.

fish.gif

As soon as I read Nimmie's McCartney post, I was reminded of SLF's fabricated "Urquhart for Veszpremi swap rumour" that he posted around trade time some years ago. It was purely an experiment to see whether the football press would grab a baseless rumour on BF and run with it in the mainstream. I recall that it got a little bit of airplay.

What this club needs is a solid first quarter this Friday. Remember those? Our 3 bulls in the middle need to get real and get the ball to Wells, Dal & Clarke and, from there, start getting deep forward 50 entries. The rest will take care of itself, I reckon.
Agree, but even if we had a 40 point lead at half time somehow, Collingwood would still feel confident against us. :(

As soon as I read Nimmie's McCartney post, I was reminded of SLF's fabricated "Urquhart for Veszpremi swap rumour" that he posted around trade time some years ago. It was purely an experiment to see whether the football press would grab a baseless rumour on BF and run with it in the mainstream. I recall that it got a little bit of airplay.

Don't forget that Jullian Assange BFNMAAK and used to go to games, back in the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Brad was to miss the finals from here, despite his contract extension, we could possibly make an arrangement where he could go to Brisbane which may suit all 4 parties, ie us, Brisbane, Brad and the AFL.

I had a dream that Brad quit.

His replacement was Blakey.

Make of that what you will, which is pretty much I need to get a life lol

How fantastic would that be.

Ah well, something like that will happen.........eventually.

Miss finals and may be sooner than later.

Brad is contracted.

We miss finals and we will hear about how injuries ruined our year.

He's not going anywhere in the short term.

Any other musings are supercoach levels of fantasy.

(If) We miss finals this year and half way through next not near top 4 then he will be under serious heat.

Contracted or otherwise, will cost us more to keep him that pay him out, so lets hope it doesn't get to that point.

The issue is Petrie can't and won't be dropped. Do we just continue to play him up forward and get nothing from him? Something has to give.

I think the issue is how we move the ball forwards, while I don't think Petrie's form is awesome atm, we do not do him or the other key forwards a lot of favours. That being said, we are missing too many set shots as a team atm.

There was a play on the weekend where Boomer broke the lines, got the ball through the corridor to MacMillan and Jamie looked up and did a u turn back into traffic and kicked down the line instead. Our forward line is a cluster **** with zero space for anyone to work into. It doesn't surprise me that we can't kick goals.

The problem is the midfield is not aggressive enough, we shouldn't be U-turning because there should be spread and support. When we play aggressively that support running is there, when we are too defensive it's not and we do u-turns and go backwards.

I think the 3 talls doesn't work for us. Not with Drew in the form he's in and Waite underdone. It's naive and stubborn by Brad to continue to back his plan A in when it has failed for weeks. I recall last year after the Gold Coast debacle, Brad came back from his injury and brought Turner and Garner into the side. The immediate impact of pressure inside 50 allowed us to go on and win 7 games in a row. Something similar needs to happen now.

It is not the number of talls imo, I do agree Petrie isn't in great form and hasn't been all season. Brad also is inflexible with how we play, ie when he was crook and Crocker took over, we played a much better brand of footy with a worse team than we have right now.

Tarrant I'm not suggesting start the game forward, but used as a swing man if need be because let's be honest he's flying at the moment. And that could very much win us a game of footy and sneak us into top 4.
Pagan did it with Carey, Sholl, Roberts, Archer, etc. We don't make any moves and it's reeks of cowardice.

Pagan did it with Carey because when we couldn't get the ball forward Carey was doing nothing, the worse we play, the more we are reliant on Tarrant down back. I think it is probably also better for Tarrant's shoulders not to have defenders crashing into them from behind. Lets not ruin the one positive we have.

A forward or a winger can have a bad day and the team can still win.
We can't afford to have two defenders incapable of winning a one on one in the team at the moment.

We have 5 defenders incapable of winning 1v1 battles consistently, it is why we use a zone and so often play a loose defender, so we get multiple players to contests. But it relies on pressure placed on the ball carrier.

I'll happily bet that regardless of outcome Brad will coach into 2018.

Its funny reading this thread, miss finals and we could arrange something.

Well not really.

OK miss finals and do poorly next year and he's going to have to go.

I would be deadset astounded if he didn't get to the final year of his contract.

The only thing that could have even have the slightest impact to that will be the change in president.

Hope we win our next 11 games and he covers himself in glory.

In his tenure we have finished 9th (Up from 13th), 9th, 8th, 10th, 6th and 8th, with another 8th finish seeming like the best case scenario. Accepting that we had two good finals campaigns, 6 full seasons is probably a sufficient enough sample size to suggest we haven't really developed or improved in terms of quality. Yet we loaded up on FAs thinking we were close to a flag. He should be under some sort of scrutiny.

The finals wins, whilst good have probably covered up the underlying body of work. I think there is an expectation of something more than mid table finishes.

In reality he has performed like a better resourced Dean Laidley.

(If) We miss finals this year and half way through next not near top 4 then he will be under serious heat.

Contracted or otherwise, will cost us more to keep him that pay him out, so lets hope it doesn't get to that point.

That's how it should be. But who's going to make that call?

The president who plays golf with him?

The football director who was mates with him at the pies and has his own performance issues this year to be sensitive about?

The football director understudy cum current list manager who is unlikely to bite the hand that feeds him?

There's noone powerful and independant enough to make the call. Brad could go winless from here on and unless he pulls the pin himself he'll be giddying up for 2017.

In his tenure we have finished 9th (Up from 13th), 9th, 8th, 10th, 6th and 8th, with another 8th finish seeming like the best case scenario. Accepting that we had two good finals campaigns, 6 full seasons is probably a sufficient enough sample size to suggest we haven't really developed or improved in terms of quality. Yet we loaded up on FAs thinking we were close to a flag. He should be under some sort of scrutiny.

The finals wins, whilst good have probably covered up the underlying body of work. I think there is an expectation of something more than mid table finishes.

In reality he has performed like a better resourced Dean Laidley.

I miss JYD 's presser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back