Bye Bye Tim

Remove this Banner Ad

A test average of 32 with just 8 50s. I wouldn't say he's ever been anything special with the gloves. That is a mediocre cricketer in my eyes for an Australia test cricket player.
You said he was a mediocre cricketer. Then he was a mediocre batsman. And now he's a mediocre Test batsman.

That's the problem when you get called out on dumb comments, you have to keep moving the goalposts. :)

How many Australian wicketkeepers averaged more when they had the gloves? Is it only Gilchrist?

You can criticise his glovework and field placings and captaincy but his batting should be the least of our concerns with Paine.
Marsh averaged 26. Healy 27. Over longer careers of course.

He was one of our better performers with the bat this series and only once did he come to the crease with the score 200+.

The problem with CA not being led by genuine Cricket people anymore.

The people who actually like cricket want a competitive, hard team - the people who sook about that don't give a fu** about Cricket to start with, yet CA listens to them.
I've played the majority of my ******* life. I've spent the last 8 years coaching juniors. I've captained multiple teams at a variety of levels. I don't give a * about cricket?

In terms of a replacement do the selectors bite the bullet, ignore criticism and give it back to Smith?
The other name mentioned- Pat Cummins- is interesting given in Australian cricket at least, bowlers are never captains

Never Smith thats just morally wrong.

Cummins i would do but whether they want to burden him with that i dont know.

Theres not much else leadership wise in the guaranteed starting 11 (head tactically yes but he isnt in the best 11)which i think is the issue. Honestly we should solve it by hiring some quality opposition analysts and have them based on data and tactics decide the on field tactics and placements and have the captain follow that..the captain can then be whichever player best represents and upholds the right behaviour and culture without having to worry about tactical acumen which we dont have much of anyway.

You said he was a mediocre cricketer. Then he was a mediocre batsman. And now he's a mediocre Test batsman.

That's the problem when you get called out on dumb comments, you have to keep moving the goalposts. :)
Mediocre, average whatever you want to call him. He's nothing special as an Australian test cricketer and it's absurd that he has hung onto the captaincy so long on the logic that he did a great job standing in after Cape Town. It's an indictment on Australian cricket that almost three years later nobody can come up with another option.

His captaincy has left a lot to be desired on the field. His keeping has been okay and I'm sorry but if someone is captaining Australia I want them to be capable of doing something meaningful with the bat, regardless of them being a keeper or not. Little pissy 30s mean very little when almost all the other batsmen can't buy a run.

Last edited:
Paine's main issue is his defensive captaincy, which we were all hoping would be rectified after Headingley 19. His batting is fine for a keeper although converting a bit more often would be nice. His keeping, whilst it's never fully recovered from his injuries, is still probably the best in our first class system although his performance in Sydney rings alarm bells - keepers notoriously drop off a cliff and he is right at the age where it happens.

If he to play on but drop the C what are the other options? Smith was just as poor tactically, maybe even worse. Cummins is virtually untried at any level and would be our first bowling captain in.... 55 years? Benaud? Labu is in the same boat as Cummins re inexperience in the role and on top of that is still finding his feet at test cricket (despite a brilliant start).

I'd be astonished if Paine plays beyond next seasons Ashes.

Pathetic captain. Mediocre cricketer. Somehow ascended to be Australian crickets saviour because we lost the absolute plot and became obsessed with being viewed as nice after two dickheads decided to mess with a ball.

Very clearly not a captains a-hole. Langer only seems to care about him being a good spokesperson.

Bring back the mongrel. Who cares about being nice
Wow, taking things hard I see lmao.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing about Australian Test captains is I've followed Test cricket since the mid-60s, and apart from the World Series Cricket days, there always seemed to someone in the team who was heir apparent to the captaincy. I recall Lawry succeeding Simpson, Ian Chappell from Lawry, Greg Chappell from Ian, etc. Since the Hughes resignation we had Border for 93 Tests, then Taylor for 50 Tests before handing over to Waugh for the next 57. Then along came Ponting for 77 Tests before Clarke for 47, then Smith for 34. Gilchrist filled in on occasions when Waugh and Ponting were injured. All players were long term Vice Captains to the previous leaders.

The point is, there always seemed to be a succession plan, but the events in South Africa necessitating Paine to lead the team totally disrupted this and we've never quite recovered, T20 is not helping at all. I get the feeling that CA is asking Paine to keep going, hoping that someone else will put their hand up and take on the responsibility.

Some people suggest Labuschagne. Interesting thought. Not sure how he would be tactically, but I think he needs to learn responsibility and leadership. Carrying on like he does at times doesn't give me a warm feeling about his chances, but we may have no choice. One thing in his favour is he is enthusiastic and positive and "could" respond to the added responsibility.

A test average of 32 with just 8 50s. I wouldn't say he's ever been anything special with the gloves. That is a mediocre cricketer in my eyes for an Australia test cricket player.

He’s about par for keeper - batsmen world wide above average as a keeper over the last few years. Had a couple of poor series with the gloves.

Totally agree. Probably the worst captain since Kym Hughes.

I've got some sympathy for Kim Hughes.

Hughes had to captain an Australian team that was in complete disarray post World Series Cricket. He was also undermined by Rod Marsh (great player, s**t bloke) and Dennis Lillee the whole time. The Australian squad that toured Pakistan immediately after Greg Chappell was sacked was essentially made up of some quality in Hughes, Border, Thommo (although well in decline by then), Alderman and Marsh plus a heap of random pub cricketers. Guys like Greg Richie and Geoff Lawson did ok but it was a truly rubbish squad.

I'd call Hughes an outlier. Ian Chappell could have captained that side and they wouldn't have performed much better than they did.

Mediocre, average whatever you want to call him. He's nothing special as an Australian test cricketer and it's absurd that he has hung onto the captaincy so long on the logic that he did a great job standing in after Cape Town. It's an indictment on Australian cricket that almost three years later nobody can come up with another option.

His captaincy has left a lot to be desired on the field. His keeping has been okay and I'm sorry but if someone is captaining Australia I want them to be capable of doing something meaningful with the bat, regardless of them being a keeper or not. Little pissy 30s mean very little when almost all the other batsmen can't buy a run.
Well, he's certainly not a mediocre cricketer as you specifically called him.

And as for the bolded statement, well I'm not sure what batsmen failing has to do with Paine. The keeper shouldn't have to be continually coming in to save the side because the top order can't perform.

Think.

Well, he's certainly not a mediocre cricketer as you specifically called him.

And as for the bolded statement, well I'm not sure what batsmen failing has to do with Paine. The keeper shouldn't have to be continually coming in to save the side because the top order can't perform.

Think.

Paine is 11W, 8L and 4D as captain.

And he took over post the three cheats sandpaper scandal so has been without two of his best batsmen for a chunk of that.

He had a bad summer but has been far from a disaster as captain.

First loss at the Gabba in over 3 decades to India's C team. Most disgraceful captain ever.
So we were never going to lose there again? For eternity?

As for the C team comment, all that was highlighted on this tour was how India has amazing depth and back up talent while we have very little (at least in the batting department).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back