Caleb Serong

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm surprised we haven't all been celebrating a bit harder about this resigning. I'm sure plenty of people will be saying 'never in doubt', but this guy is one of the keys to our future. A rolled gold A grader and leader: The size of the prospective offers must been at least tempting. At the very least for his agent!

I wonder who his agent is

I'm surprised we haven't all been celebrating a bit harder about this resigning. I'm sure plenty of people will be saying 'never in doubt', but this guy is one of the keys to our future. A rolled gold A grader and leader: The size of the prospective offers must been at least tempting. At the very least for his agent!
Still nothing on afl.com about it either, they are happy to get “staff writers” to knock together a negative piece about a young crow retires from the game or a young sun charged with drink driving, but a good news story for Freo, not a mention.

Yeah I was already sure my man would sign so what's the point!

"re-signing".

Important hyphen.

‘We’ll drive each other’: Caleb Serong ready to tackle vice-captaincy, push for premiership
It’s been a busy summer for Caleb Serong. The young gun chats to ELIZA REILLY about his contract extension, leadership role, younger brother Liam’s AFL dream and what Fremantle have worked on for 2023.

4 min read
March 5, 2023 - 9:00AM
[PLAYERCARD]Caleb Serong[/PLAYERCARD] had no interest in returning home to Victoria, nor dragging out contract talks. Picture: Will Russell/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Caleb Serong had no interest in returning home to Victoria, nor dragging out contract talks. Picture: Will Russell/AFL Photos via Getty Images

It was the deal that cemented Caleb Serong’s future in purple.
But the 22-year-old is more excited about the present.

Just before Christmas last year, the talented young midfielder committed to Fremantle until at least the end of the 2027 season. Serong has one year remaining on his current deal but didn’t hesitate to sign an early four-year extension.
Contract talks ebbed and flowed throughout 2022 but ramped up shortly after the season finished and were wrapped up by December. It makes Serong the equal most committed player on Fremantle’s list, joining Heath Chapman, Hayden Young and Luke Ryan in putting pen to paper until 2027.
Rival clubs were guaranteed to come calling if Serong, a Victorian, remained unsigned. But he has turned his back on home.
Contract talks won’t be a distraction for Serong in 2023. Picture: Will Russell/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Contract talks won’t be a distraction for Serong in 2023. Picture: Will Russell/AFL Photos via Getty Images

“I’m excited about where we’re going but I’m most excited about where we are now,” Serong says.
“I didn’t want to go anywhere. I love the place (Perth) but most importantly I love the club.
“What we’re doing at the moment and what we’ve done to build the culture … our ability to connect, from the coaches and the guys upstairs like (CEO) Simon Garlick to the players … the cohesion and alignment is exciting. We’ve got a lot of great people at the club.
“We want to strive for that premiership now. That’s where we want to get to. As a player, you want to play on the last day in September. We don’t think we’re far off.
“I always wanted to stay long term. That was my intention.”
From Rising Star to vice-captain within the space of three seasons, Serong is the embodiment of Fremantle’s next generation.
As the dux of the class of 2020, Serong and his peers had the strangest possible introduction to life as an AFL footballer. Empty stadiums, hubs and Covid regulations replaced the luxurious lifestyle they were promised as their junior careers accelerated. But Serong’s considered approach quickly earnt praise from teammates.
After just two seasons, Serong was elevated into Fremantle’s leadership group for 2022. Retired Dockers doyen David Mundy, who is a fair judge, even tipped Serong to captain the club last August.
Serong and [PLAYERCARD]Andrew Brayshaw[/PLAYERCARD] are teammates, mates and now fellow vice-captains. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Serong and Andrew Brayshaw are teammates, mates and now fellow vice-captains. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Serong will instead serve as vice-captain alongside fellow midfielder Andrew Brayshaw after Alex Pearce won the support of players to succeed Nat Fyfe as skipper. But a new title won’t change a thing. Serong is every part the leader, he just has a little more mongrel to him than a marginally older Brayshaw.
“We’ve got a great group in there now. It’s a different mix. There are a lot of different ideas and energy. I want to lead by example,” Serong says.
“I’m a connector off the field. I’m constantly building relationships and trying to drive standards. I want to control what I can control but then build relationships around that. I’ve got great belief and faith that I don’t have to change much of what I’m already doing.”
As for working alongside close mate and close confidant Brayshaw: “We’ll drive each other to be the best leaders we can be.”
The Serong family are the AFL’s latest test case in serendipity.
All three brothers grew up playing football and cricket. Two, Caleb and Hawthorn forward Jai, have ended up on AFL lists. And one, Liam, the youngest, was invited by the Dockers to trial for a list spot in the pre-season supplementary period. It was the first time Caleb had played alongside one of his brothers.
“I wasn’t sure what it was going to be like, if I was going to be getting angry with him,” Serong jokes.
Liam, 18, is a 193cm key position player who impressed for Gippsland Power late last season after an injury-interrupted year. He turned his attention to football a bit later than the others but his AFL attributes were instantly recognisable.
Jai, Caleb and Liam Serong. Picture: Supplied

Jai, Caleb and Liam Serong. Picture: Supplied

A family reunion will have to wait after Liam was overlooked, but Caleb believes an AFL call-up is very possible.
“As a brother, I got to see him step out of his comfort zone. He hasn’t played a lot of high-level footy,” he says.
“The improvement he made across a couple of months was incredible. His work rate was awesome. He was able to grow as a footballer and a person.
“He’s going to take those learnings back now to Gippsland Power and Box Hill and hopefully get drafted. That’s his focus and goal.”
The fruits of Fremantle’s pre-season shone through in Thursday night’s win over Port Adelaide.
Coach Justin Longmuir gave his side a slight rocket when he described their performance against Adelaide a week earlier as “flat”. Against Port, the Dockers were anything but dull.
A 31-point margin was impressive. But some individual performances were even more promising. Serong tuned up for round one with 32 touches and eight clearances in a typically hard-nosed performance. Fyfe kicked three goals. Alex Pearce blanketed Charlie Dixon. And Will Brodie led a prolific midfield.

But it was the team’s collective performance that gave a more accurate depiction of how Fremantle want to play in 2023.
“We’ve done so much work and made so much improvement to our game over pre-season, we just didn’t show it last week,” Serong says.
“We trusted in the work that we’ve done. We used our legs. We drove through the corridor.
“The way we moved the ball and defended is the way we want the game to look.
“Last week, we played safe footy and didn’t back ourselves. We didn’t do anything different, it was just a matter of backing ourselves in.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The correct answer to that question given he’s new to the role and the season hasn’t even started yet would have been “I’m 100% focussed on round one and taking us as far as we can go in 2023”. Why even mention it? Sends a weird message to the playing group at this stage.

The correct answer to that question given he’s new to the role and the season hasn’t even started yet would have been “I’m 100% focussed on round one and taking us as far as we can go in 2023”. Why even mention it? Sends a weird message to the playing group at this stage.
Thats basically what he answered tho, I'll find the article

Only mentions that he will entertain the thought at the end of his career, which is fair enough (and most knew that already)

His does atleast say “I’m obviously very settled in Perth and very happy with this new role, which I’m extremely proud to have,”

Thats basically what he answered tho, I'll find the article

Only mentions that he will entertain the thought at the end of his career, which is fair enough (and most knew that already)

His does atleast say “I’m obviously very settled in Perth and very happy with this new role, which I’m extremely proud to have,”
Idk if I was a newly appointed captain I simply wouldn’t answer that I’ll definitely entertaining moving clubs in a few years.

Very easy to just lie and say “I love Tassie etc etc but I’m settled in Perth right now and love this club and wouldn’t wanna be anywhere else” we all know he’d play for tassie if he got the chance but there’s no reason to SAY it

Idk if I was a newly appointed captain I simply wouldn’t answer that I’ll definitely entertaining moving clubs in a few years.

Very easy to just lie and say “I love Tassie etc etc but I’m settled in Perth right now and love this club and wouldn’t wanna be anywhere else” we all know he’d play for tassie if he got the chance but there’s no reason to SAY it
I like the authenticity here, you've got to put it in perspective too, Tassie is a Minimum of 5 years away, so we are talking 14+ years of service to the club by then and a send off lap playing for the state he grew up in

I think the players like his authenticity and leadership and that's why they've picked him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back