Cam Rayner

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah sorry my bad - Cam Rayner has been elite over the first 5 years of his career getting plenty of ball and having plenty of impact.

Astute Pick 1 selection over Andy Brayshaw & Aaron Naughton - well done Lions :thumbsu:
You cannot be talking about draft selection alternatives when your mob picked Richard Tambling over Buddy Franklin.

If you don't rate Rayner because you only look at disposals and yell out "Just kick it" at the footy, that's a you problem.

GroggSquad

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
You cannot be talking about draft selection alternatives when your mob picked Richard Tambling over Buddy Franklin.

If you don't rate Rayner because you only look at disposals and yell out "Just kick it" at the footy, that's a you problem.

Richard Tambling over Lance Franklin was possibly the worst draft blunder of all-time. Fiora over Pavlich is up there too. What does that have to do with my assessment of Rayner?

He's been a huge disappointment for a #1 pick hyped up as a "Dusty clone". Especially considering some of the players that followed him in that draft.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rayner hasn't polled 1 coaches vote all year. imo, it just shows how low the expectations are on Rayner. But I recognise he is showing improvement. For the record, Spargo has polled coaches votes in 2 games this season. Rayner, 0.

Animated GIF

Look at all the chirpy Lions fans in here after the 2017 #1 pick plays a good game for the first time in 5 years...

Jaidyn Stephenson from Rayner's draft had a 38 touch 1 goal game last year, where is he at now?
Definitely not placing any multi-bets on Sportsbet, that’s one thing for certain ;)

Richard Tambling over Lance Franklin was possibly the worst draft blunder of all-time. Fiora over Pavlich is up there too. What does that have to do with my assessment of Rayner?

He's been a huge disappointment for a #1 pick hyped up as a "Dusty clone". Especially considering some of the players that followed him in that draft.
if you evaluate pick 1 players as needing to be the best of their draft class to be successful you will find pretty much all of them to be lacking

rayner if he keeps the body of form over the last month up and maintains the steady improvements at his game will be a good, maybe great player for brisbane

im personally not disappointed with the pick at this stage

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Meteoric Rise, I've missed you! I'm now back. Although, I feel like I can't even speak my mind anymore because I've got to be on my best behaviour.

I'm glad to see Rayner playing some better footy. But I'm going to hold out until a larger sample size is there. It's like in the 'Cripps vs Oliver' thread, all the Carlton fans were going mental over Cripps' early form. The last 3 weeks Cripps has been horrendous and back to his 2020 & 2021 form. So I'll wait longer.

Good to see you back danster. 😁

Especially given your man at pick 18 Chuck Spargo has scored 5 goals for the season from 12 games. 😱. Averaging a paltry 1.2 goals + goal assists and 2.2 tackles. A miserable 3.8 contested possessions. 67% disposal inefficiency.

And you had him 12 places above our man Rayner in your re-draft. Mrs danster your lad is copping a shocking hiding on Spargo, a hell of a battering. 😂

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good to see you back danster. 😁

Especially given your man at pick 18 Chuck Spargo has scored 5 goals for the season from 12 games. 😱. Averaging a paltry 1.2 goals + goal assists and 2.2 tackles. A miserable 3.8 contested possessions. 67% disposal inefficiency.

And you had him 12 places above our man Rayner in your re-draft. Mrs danster your lad is copping a shocking hiding on Spargo, a hell of a battering. 😂
lol. but he's been named in the coaches votes twice compared to Rayners 0. Care to comment? :)

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
lol. but he's been named in the coaches votes twice compared to Rayners 0. Care to comment? :)

The Melbourne coach and Brisbane coach are equally clueless or careless when giving coach votes?

Plenty of donkeys get coaches votes danster and plenty of jets don’t. I wouldn’t hang your millinery apparel on that if I were you. It is prone to massive variance. 😉

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Melbourne coach and Brisbane coach are equally clueless or careless when giving coach votes?

Plenty of donkeys get coaches votes danster and plenty of jets don’t. I wouldn’t hang your millinery apparel on that if I were you. It is prone to massive variance. 😉
lol. no they don't. Which jets of the afl have not polled a single coaches vote all season?

ahaha, and why would the coaches be careless and clueless? They are the most privy to match day roles etc. and have a greater understanding of the game as anyone. The coaches votes have much more respect and credit than the Brownlow.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
lol. no they don't. Which jets of the afl have not polled a single coaches vote all season?

ahaha, and why would the coaches be careless and clueless? They are the most privy to match day roles etc. and have a greater understanding of the game as anyone. The coaches votes have much more respect and credit than the Brownlow.

They sometimes like to encourage sh!tfish like Chuck Spargo so he doesn’t completely drop his bundle. He is having a shocking season danster, a bastard of a season. 😂

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
They sometimes like to encourage sh!tfish like Chuck Spargo so he doesn’t completely drop his bundle. He is having a shocking season danster, a bastard of a season. 😂
Like most of Melbourne's team, we're not as good as last season but until Rayner actually polls a vote let's pump the brakes. It's pretty damn easy to poll coaches votes as Spargo has shown. He's polled 0 yet apparently he's a good player?

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Like most of Melbourne's team, we're not as good as last season but until Rayner actually polls a vote let's pump the brakes. It's pretty damn easy to poll coaches votes as Spargo has shown. He's polled 0 yet apparently he's a good player?

You do understand a player can get votes in one match playing a worse game than a player who does not poll votes in another game don’t you danster?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
You do understand a player can get votes in one match playing a worse game than a player who does not poll votes in another game don’t you danster?
no they can't. it's all relative to the game that's being played. if rayner ever features in the top half a dozen players then he'll get a coaches vote. simple.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
no they can't. it's all relative to the game that's being played. if rayner ever features in the top half a dozen players then he'll get a coaches vote. simple.

Sometimes the 6th best player on the ground doesn’t get votes, sometimes the 8th best player gets votes.

Then 10th best on ground in one match could objectively play better than the 4th best player in another match. If someone is prominent in the coaches votes fairly consistently then I can just about accept you can’t do that and be going no good. The difference between half a dozen coaches votes and none over 12 matches tells us nothing. You could be 5th best in one game, 7th best in another, and not have another performance above 20th best on ground and you wouldn’t say you are going better than someone who is in the top ten a couple of times and top 20 6-8 times.

You can see in my table on page 18 of this thread, in 2022 Spargo does not even rank top 4 in ANY of the 8 statistical categories, out of 10 small and medium forwards from his draft. That would be pretty tough to achieve if you were the 18th best player overall from your draft. 😉

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Will today be the day? the day that he polls his first coaches votes? :)

Danster, just think about this. Mark Neeld used to give coaches votes. You are obsessing about something people like Mark Neeld have been entrusted with.

Start obsessing about contested possessions, clean breakaway clearances and pack crashing instead imo. 😁

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
danster168 you need to stay away from your TV set for the next 2 hours comrade. Shocking scenes for you unfolding here. 😂
hahahahaha, you got ahead of yourself. Rayner did nothing in the 2nd half but you thought you'd be smart and post after he had a better than average start. lol.
Another week of no coaches votes. massive lol.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
hahahahaha, you got ahead of yourself. Rayner did nothing in the 2nd half but you thought you'd be smart and post after he had a better than average start. lol.
Another week of no coaches votes. massive lol.
Nothing in the second half?

Nathan Buckley was drooling over him in the final term, for good reason. Were you even watching?

Fritsch and Spargo would not get a game for the Cam Rayner FC. 😁

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nothing in the second half?

Nathan Buckley was drooling over him in the final term, for good reason. Were you even watching?

Fritsch and Spargo would not get a game for the Cam Rayner FC. 😁
haha, lol. at least confess that you got ahead of yourself? you posted just at the time that he was finding the ball. nek mennit, no influence on the game. Let me know when your own coach actually values him in his votes. 9 disposals in the 2nd half with PLENTY of CBA's. that's what you call average.

No idea why you're mentioning Frisch. 12 goals in his last 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back