Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

no hawk fan is predicting that either. But what is success? A threepeat? No other team will do that either

With reference to the thread title, no hawthorn wont have another threepeat with the current list and strategy. But i reckon plenty of teams will go worse in the next three years. We will peak around 2022 before needing to replenish
Nah, that will be the point you start to dip badly.

Nothing I have seen so far inspires me the Hawks will not be somewhere in positions 6-11 at seasons end, but they did improve significantly over last season.

As I keep saying, this list will peak 2022.
Im still far from convinced the hard rebuild which tales 7yrs minimum and more likely 10yrs is anything but a risky move

Titus, Richo, Bartlett, Riewoldt, Roach, Harris, Dyer all have more goals than Breust.

Notwithstanding this further highlights Richmond’s largely mediocre history (particularly with goal kickers)

Breust is behind Dunstall, Matthews, Hudson, Moncrieff, Franklin, Roughead, Peak, Brereton all above (and the first 6 substantially so)

I guess 3 seasons can do a lot to forget the mediocrity from the preceding 110

You said, and I quote:

Take your meds. :$

Do you need a diagram of a peak and the immediately following dip/drop off whatever you want to call it?
I agree it could be quite brutal.
However last years retirees/departees didn't play 24 games in total

Last edited:
McEvoy , Stratton and Frost - that's a horror show down back. Will be alleviated when Hardwick and Impey come back but they will take time to build cohesion and by then 2020 is likely to be shot. Expect Sicily to play angry. Better hope Frawley at 31 stays resilient.

McEvoy , Stratton and Frost - that's a horror show down back. Will be alleviated when Hardwick and Impey come back but they will take time to build cohesion and by then 2020 is likely to be shot. Expect Sicily to play angry. Better hope Frawley at 31 stays resilient.
Scrimshaw will get more game time, which is a positive. Jiath shows tricks.

Agree re Stratton. He's done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those proclaiming our list of older, injury prone players. the medical list is now growing, but only Gunston is over 26

Maybe they meant Older players AND Injury prone players

Scrimshaw will get more game time, which is a positive. Jiath shows tricks.

Agree re Stratton. He's done.

Stratton shouldn’t even be in the round 1 team, yet he will end up playing on Charlie Cameron who will destroy him.

Our back 6 round 1 will be:
Frost Frawley stratton
Scrimshaw McEvoy Sicily.

With harry Morrison starting on the pine. Both Jiath and greeves deserve to playing over Stratton and neither will play round 1.

That’s an awful back set up in today’s footy. Big and slow won’t work.

No Hardwick and impey is an absolute killer especially against a team like Brisbane. We then have freo away, Collingwood and Geelong. 2-2 would be considered a huge win...we will be lucky to go 1-3.

Notwithstanding this further highlights Richmond’s largely mediocre history (particularly with goal kickers)

Breust is behind Dunstall, Matthews, Hudson, Moncrieff, Franklin, Roughead, Peak, Brereton all above (and the first 6 substantially so)

I guess 3 seasons can do a lot to forget the mediocrity from the preceding 110
What ? Richmond have won one less flag than Hawthorn !!!

My god Hawthorn are slow. Looked like a team of snails in the 4th quarter.

This is what happens when you have too many old players. Puopolo was complete garbage last year, but good old Clarko was driven to keep him on the list, being one of his personal favorites.

Clarko reminding me a lot of Sheedy in his finals years as coach at Essendon.

1 less flag and 17 less seasons

As a scary 1 flag makes a difference
You made it sound like the entire history of Richmond other than the last few years was mediocre.

Clarko reminding me a lot of Sheedy in his finals years as coach at Essendon.

‘this one keeps getting a run. Sheedy left Essendon age 60. Clarko now 51. Sheedy last flag? 2001 aged mid fifties

clarko is committed to the hawks but sheedy kept playing mind games using the Richmond connection.

both have coached 4 flags

You made it sound like the entire history of Richmond other than the last few years was mediocre.

By its very definition it is very mediocre.

12 flags over 112 seasons is very middle of the road (in a competition that for the most part 12 teams in it)

Richmond has what 12 flags which is 5th (equal with Melbourne) among the traditional VFL clubs. Do you feel more comfortable if I said that Richmond (inc the last 3 years) is slightly above mediocre?

Prior to 2017 it’s 10 flags in 109 years which ranks them 6 of the 12 VFL clubs. Smack bang in the middle and marginally ahead of Fitzroy who have been defunct as a VFL / AFL entity for 15 years

It’s not surprising that Richmond has never had stand out goal kickers (not like Collingwood, Hawthorn or Essendon etc)

Last edited:
Nothing I have seen so far inspires me the Hawks will not be somewhere in positions 6-11 at seasons end, but they did improve significantly over last season.
Last 3 seasons we have improved significantly in the back half of the season

Stratton shouldn’t even be in the round 1 team, yet he will end up playing on Charlie Cameron who will destroy him.

Our back 6 round 1 will be:
Frost Frawley stratton
Scrimshaw McEvoy Sicily.

With harry Morrison starting on the pine. Both Jiath and greeves deserve to playing over Stratton and neither will play round 1.

That’s an awful back set up in today’s footy. Big and slow won’t work.

No Hardwick and impey is an absolute killer especially against a team like Brisbane. We then have freo away, Collingwood and Geelong. 2-2 would be considered a huge win...we will be lucky to go 1-3.
Do you see Mcevoy playing year at CHB?
I think he's been a great pick up by hawks over the last few years but I can't visualise him at that position and being effective

Do you see Mcevoy playing year at CHB?
I think he's been a great pick up by hawks over the last few years but I can't visualise him at that position and being effective

He played the last 4-5 weeks last season in the backline...he’s trained this entire pre-season as a backman and played their last night. Round 1, he’s playing in the backline...ceglar is actually a decent ruckman but he’s not nearly as good as McEvoy in the actual craft.

Playing McEvoy in the backline is just a dumb move...don’t worry, you will hear from the usuals about how “Clarko is a genius”...it is so obvious it won’t work even Stevie wonder can see it...if we had impey and Hardwick then maybe.. but when your backline looks like ours going into round 1 it’s not even worth trying.

By round 5 when we are 1-3 or 0-4 McEvoy will be back to our sole ruckman and hopefully Jiath and or greaves will be playing in the backline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back