Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've taken one post out of 12 months of Cogs discussion.

As you would know, I had a ton of mail that said he was coming until Gil stepped in. As did other Hawk posters. Many had similar mail. Much of it was contrary to what happened which suggested we were played by his manager in the last week.

Oh well, we move on now.

What are the Dons trade moves? Jack Martin yeah?
How would I know?

I don't have "a ton of mail."

I don't know why Hawks peeps are mad about Patton now? If fit he is a good key forward. You'll have to take on his massive wage but you'll prob only have to give up a 5th rounder for him
Not quite true. He’s a trade so the contract can be scrapped and renegotiated if the player agrees.

Apparently he’s on about $700k with GWS in 2020. My understanding is that our offer is greater than that over the life of the deal (probably 2 to 3 years), but the yearly average is far lower.

Hawks should be going all in on Cameron why is Whitfield the number target ?
They need Cameron more than Whitfield. Clarko has a good system just need conversion. Go hard at the Coleman medalist.

As you would know, I had a ton of mail that said he was coming until Gil stepped in. As did other Hawk posters. Many had similar mail. Much of it was contrary to what happened which suggested we were played by his manager in the last week.
Did you take this from the Snake_Baker book of excuses?

I think I've heard it before.

Hss this thread actually turned into a s**t fight about 1 poster being wrong. How boring......

I thought our whole club was screwed, can we get back to that being explained to me again.

Its a bit early to call but you missed the finals this year and didnt win a final last year in case you didnt get the memo

Last edited:
The issue is their spine IMO.

They have a reasonable midfield due to mature age recruiting and this will take them to their current mid table position? Where is the next gun KPF or KPD coming from?

We may have 3 long shots at KPF with Lewis, Obrian and Patton (if rumors are true)

- Lewis looks as good as you would want from a 20 yr old KPF. But still has a long way to go to becoming a gun.

- O'brian has been around for ages one of those players who have a couple elite traits that keep them on your list a couple years to long. Although something click in the last month of the season, tore WC apart in rd 23. Could just be a glimpse and tease.

- Patton had at one point all the tools to be a gun KPF but has suffered many setbacks. He is an unknown will need an extended run to find out if he can be what he once promised to be.

Outside of these 3 at KPF we have 2 very promising Mid sized forwards. Ross and Walker, i wont go into much detail about these 2 as they are doubtful to make mich of an impact next year other then probably debut. They are getting the traditional Hawthorn slow apprenticeship.

I am a bit more concerned about KPD.

We may have 3 long shots at KPF with Lewis, Obrian and Patton (if rumors are true)

- Lewis looks as good as you would want from a 20 yr old KPF. But still has a long way to go to becoming a gun.

- O'brian has been around for ages one of those players who have a couple elite traits that keep them on your list a couple years to long. Although something click in the last month of the season, tore WC apart in rd 23. Could just be a glimpse and tease.

- Patton had at one point all the tools to be a gun KPF but has suffered many setbacks. He is an unknown will need an extended run to find out if he can be what he once promised to be.

Outside of these 3 at KPF we have 2 very promising Mid sized forwards. Ross and Walker, i wont go into much detail about these 2 as they are doubtful to make mich of an impact next year other then probably debut. They are getting the traditional Hawthorn slow apprenticeship.

I am a bit more concerned about KPD.
Big wraps on Kosi as a Key Defender, but we need more depth down there. Brand won't make it.

Big wraps on Kosi as a Key Defender, but we need more depth down there. Brand won't make it.
Yes i know, but its way to early still.

Brands body has let him down imo.

Obrian has never tore a game apart from KPB like he did RD 23 against WC as a KPF.

Comparing our KPB stokes to other teams is pretty bad. Lucky for us Frawley hasn't lost any speed and is playing as good as he ever has for us. I expect Frawley to go around for another 3 years at least. So time is on our side.

Yes i know, but its way to early still.

Brands body has let him down imo.

Obrian has never tore a game apart from KPB like he did RD 23 against WC as a KPF.

Comparing our KPB stokes to other teams is pretty bad. Lucky for us Frawley hasn't lost any speed and is playing as good as he ever has for us. I expect Frawley to go around for another 3 years at least. So time is on our side.

Hawthorn keep topiing up with mid aged players. Always needing for somebody to replace them in 2-3 years time. Its a great strategy while it works but exposes the club to massive downside if it doesnt because the sacrifice is fewer 18 year olds coming through to potentially play for 12 years at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks are every chance this year. I was merely talking about your fans screaming out for players from other clubs. Maybe they really aren't that confident.
What clubs supporters don’t think about adding to their list?

Hawthorn keep topiing up with mid aged players. Always needing for somebody to replace them in 2-3 years time. Its a great strategy while it works but exposes the club to massive downside if it doesnt because the sacrifice is fewer 18 year olds coming through to potentially play for 12 years at the club.
Depends on the quality, Mohr and Michington arnt really someone we are concerned about replacing. But both are top ups we got last year.

Also the general premise that you should be worried about needing to replace someone isnt good it a Defeatist mentality. im not concerned that Frawley has 3 years left im excited.

What clubs supporters don’t think about adding to their list?
Me. I'd rather draft our own. I've said that time and time again.

It's why I rate our 07-11 era as the best I've seen.

Me. I'd rather draft our own. I've said that time and time again.

It's why I rate our 07-11 era as the best I've seen.
Right. So you alone....but what clubs supporters don’t do that in general?

The ratio of filling best 22 spots from trades and draftees is about 50:50. In numbers and quality. Has been that way since 2009
If you think about it, theres no reason for your clubs age profile to drop that far, cos clubs with a low age profile dont win too many premierships

Also mitchell and omeara are three years in. Do they need replacement right now?

Best 22
FB: Blake Hardwick, James Frawley, Ben Stratton
HB:jarman impey Jack scrimshaw, James Sicily
C: Isaac Smith, James Worpel, Tom Scully
HF: Chad Wingard, Jack Gunston, Shaun Burgoyne
FF: Luke Breust, tim obrien, Paul Puopolo
R: Ben McEvoy, Jaeger O’Meara, tom mitchell
IC: Harry Morrison, Jonathon Ceglar, Ricky Henderson, liam shiels
EMG: chankouh jiath Kaiden brand Dan Howe michell lewis conor nash

12 from the 22 traded in. No one remains now from the 2009 season, although Birchall may continue

Last edited:
Right. So you alone....but what clubs supporters don’t do that in general?
I'm not here for a petty argument. My observations on here are that Hawthorn supporters carry on about getting players from other clubs more than any other.

It's entitlement. Everyone is coming to Hawthorn mentality.

I'm not here for a petty argument. My observations on here are that Hawthorn supporters carry on about getting players from other clubs more than any other.

It's entitlement.
Entitlement? I thought you were saying that that it was indie to them not being happy with their list?

Can you name a supporter base who do not have posters on bigfooty who discuss additions to their list?

Entitlement? I thought you were saying that that it was indie to them not being happy with their list?

Can you name a supporter base who do not have posters on bigfooty who discuss additions to their list?
Yes entitlement. You go through everyone's list with targets and then assume you're getting them because Hawthorn.

It's simply my observation.

'Whitfield was a Hawthorn supporter so we're entitled to him'. Then assume he's yours as a result.

Yes entitlement. You go through everyone's list with targets and then assume you're getting them because Hawthorn.

It's simply my observation.

'Whitfield was a Hawthorn supporter so we're entitled to him'. Then assume he's yours as a result.
Every clubs supporters have trade threads , discuss targets and post on the draft board. Every club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back