Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you didn't assume Amon was coming to Hawthorn?
I never assume anything, at best im hopeful.

Yes i do love speculating, ive posted in that thread alot about what i think hawks could afford to offer.

If your taken that ad anything other then speculation maybe im not the one assuming stuff...

Yeah apparently the Suns are prepared to offer pick 19 or whatever it is which is way overs. The Suns are desperate for players though so they might be keen on slightly overpaying. If the trade goes down I would laugh if that happens. The problem is convincing player x or y to go there.

It's a very sad case where the Suns are forced to pay overs to attract players to go there.

But Smith would be a great fit for them, is a very well prepared and professional player, and probably would be a great role model for the kids up there. There is a pragmatic approach to Clarko moving on club legends and fan favourites that I admire. It ensures the Hawks won't bottom out and can rebuild the list whilst being in finals contention nearly every year.

It's a very sad case where the Suns are forced to pay overs to attract players to go there.

But Smith would be a great fit for them, is a very well prepared and professional player, and probably would be a great role model for the kids up there. There is a pragmatic approach to Clarko moving on club legends and fan favourites that I admire. It ensures the Hawks won't bottom out and can rebuild the list whilst being in finals contention nearly every year.
Ive said this before but dont be surprised if Smith has another 4 years of good footy left in him.

He entered the elite system late only playing vfl the last 5 games of the season before draft at 21 yrs old.

Its common for players like that to play on alot longer then same aged peers.

Ive read WB and GC are into smith

GC willing to offer a pick 17-19.
Wb more keen on a player pick trade. Say Gowers and 30.
Apparently hawks want WB to improve the pick but are interested in Gowers.

Edit: i now feel like its mandatory for me to add this is just me speculating about bits and pieces ive read and been told. I have no connection to any stake holders.....

Ive said this before but dont be surprised if Smith has another 4 years of good footy left in him.

He entered the elite system late only playing vfl the last 5 games of the season before draft at 21 yrs old.

Its common for players like that to play on alot longer then same aged peers.

Ive read WB and GC are into smith

GC willing to offer a pick 17-19.
Wb more keen on a player pick trade. Say Gowers and 30.
Apparently hawks want WB to improve the pick but are interested in Gowers.

Edit: i now feel like its mandatory for me to add this is just me speculating about bits and pieces ive read and been told. I have no connection to any stake holders.....
I've heard the same but that we asked for Gold Coasts second pick and they said no worries - being a poorly run incompetent club you know how it is

Shhhhhhhhh but don't tell anyone that the AFL are going to give the Suns a priority pick

Pick 2 for Smithy is ok with me

I think we'll get one of Anderson or McGuinness.

If we can get a good established player and one of these kids plus some moneyball draft-picks I'll be happy with the off-season.
I'd say you're a monty to get McGuiness.

If I were you I'd send a package that includes Gunston to try and get pick 2. Of course he'd need to agree to it.

B: J.Scrimshaw, J.Frawley, J.Sicily
HB: B.Hardwick, B.Stratton, C.Nash
C: R.Henderson, J.O’Meara, T.Scully
HF: P.Puopolo, T.O’Brien, I.Smith
F: L.Breust, J.Gunston, B.McEvoy
FOLL: J.Ceglar, L.Shiels, J.Worpel
I/C: S.Burgoyne, D.Howe, C.Wingard, O.Hanrahan

This was Hawthorn's round 23 team and the highlighted players are over 30. To be honest it isn't quite as many players as I originally thought it would be.

B: J.Scrimshaw, J.Frawley, J.Sicily
HB: B.Hardwick, B.Stratton, C.Nash
C: R.Henderson, J.O’Meara, T.Scully
HF: P.Puopolo, T.O’Brien, I.Smith
F: L.Breust, J.Gunston, B.McEvoy
FOLL: J.Ceglar, L.Shiels, J.Worpel
I/C: S.Burgoyne, D.Howe, C.Wingard, O.Hanrahan

This was Hawthorn's round 23 team and the highlighted players are over 30. To be honest it isn't quite as many players as I originally thought it would be.

Smith, Puopolo and Burgoyne won’t be on the Hawks list next year.

Hawks system of serving an apprenticeship versus no system at most other clubs!

Many of the soft mids at Bombers wouldn’t get a game at the Hawks or would be regularly dropped until they can prove that they can put their head over the ball playing for BH first.
What a load of bullshit. How many Hawks players have done an apprenticeship in the VFL and come good in the AFL over the last 15 years?

One thing I’m impressed with Hawthorn in particular is experienced players being dropped if they’re not performing.

What a load of bulls**t. How many Hawks players have done an apprenticeship in the VFL and come good in the AFL over the last 15 years?

One thing I’m impressed with Hawthorn in particular is experienced players being dropped if they’re not performing.

Breust, Suckling, Duryea, Sam Mitchell (kind of), Sewell just off the top of my head with very little thought. Of the new crop Hardwick and Sicily have done their time.

Pretty handy list of Premiership (and future Premiership) champions there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am surprised to hear Smith won't be as I thought he was still young enough to get another few years out of him?

Hawthorn only give 30 year olds 1 year deals irrespective of a players form.

Smith wants 3 years hence why Gold Coast and the Bulldogs are circling him.

Breust, Suckling, Duryea, Sam Mitchell (kind of), Sewell just off the top of my head with very little thought. Of the new crop Hardwick and Sicily have done their time.

Pretty handy list of Premiership (and future Premiership) champions there.
Firstly, Duryea is bog average. Even bottom 6 players win premierships.

Mitchell VFL apprenticeship? Please.

I’ll give you Breust even though he was coming off a broken leg when he was drafted.

Oh. This won't end well.
It's not even an outlandish statement. He's been a top 10 player for us this year, and we just utterly mauled Essendon by 20 goals a couple weeks back. Easily one of the best pickups of the year.

Yes entitlement. You go through everyone's list with targets and then assume you're getting them because Hawthorn.

It's simply my observation.

'Whitfield was a Hawthorn supporter so we're entitled to him'. Then assume he's yours as a result.

And then say that the club pulled out of the race when the target chooses a better option. LOL.

And then say that the club pulled out of the race when the target chooses a better option. LOL.
Nope that is only for Shiel hawthorn supporters have never said anything about pulling out going after lynch and cogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back